The Student Room Group

Glasses Make My Eyes Look Big!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Alesha1991
I've chosen my glasses today & gone for some that are rimless at the front with thicker frames at the side. I've been told that them being rimless should lessen the effect of making my eyes look small, even though its a pretty strong prescription. Don't know how it would work with longsighted lenses though.

From my experience it is not making any difference. I've had rimless glasses since grade 9, they still make the eyes smaller. However, it depends on the face type and the frame type. Some frames with a certain face will make the difference less noticeable.
From my experience it is not making any difference. I've had rimless glasses since grade 9, they still make the eyes smaller. However, it depends on the face type and the frame type. Some frames with a certain face will make the difference less noticeable.

I'll just have to see when I get them then. Like I said, I've got big eyes anyway so it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Good I'm not long sighted or my eyes would look massive. Don't really like that I'm going to be wearing them all the time but the frames look stylish & suit the shape of my face so I'm sure I'll get used to them.
Reply 22
Original post by welshyelmo
Long sighted lenses (that sounds weird but you catch my drift) tend to make the eyes look bigger, for some obscure reason, while short sighted lenses do the reverse. So changing the frames probably won't make much difference I'm afraid.

Anyway, big eyes are cute.

Original post by Ilora-Danon
It's because you're long sighted. Changing the frames/lenses won't help at all. That's just what happens when you wear glasses.

Hell, I'm extremely short sighted and my glasses make my eyes look tiny. It's horrible. I'd much rather have 'biiiig' looking eyes than two little pinholes!

One of my eyes is short sighted and the other long sighted :colonhash: they're not that bad but if my eyes get worse (which I'm sure they will) my eyes will probably look totally different sizes :cry:
Reply 23
Original post by ily_em
One of my eyes is short sighted and the other long sighted :colonhash: they're not that bad but if my eyes get worse (which I'm sure they will) my eyes will probably look totally different sizes :cry:

People with Antimetropia sometimes find it difficult to adjust to eyeglasses and prefer contact lenses. Contacts will give you better binocular and peripheral vision. You should consider it. It's not about looks, it's more about functioning on daily activities.
Reply 24
Original post by Kathy89
People with Antimetropia sometimes find it difficult to adjust to eyeglasses and prefer contact lenses. Contacts will give you better binocular and peripheral vision. You should consider it. It's not about looks, it's more about functioning on daily activities.

I'm fine with glasses :dontknow: I tried contacts once but didn't really like them.
Yeah as some people already said, + lenses make the eyes look bigger and are usually more noticeable, while - lenses make the eyes look smaller. I don't think it has to do with the frames.

But girls with glasses are hot anyway, so just wear them whenever you need to and don't worry too much :smile:
Original post by popple7
maybe its the thickness of your lenses? have you got full on 'jam jars'? i get the special thinned down lenses to avoid the bug eyed look :smile:

I've got glasses almost identical to the OP (wear them all the time), and when I first got them with the lenses, I nearly died when seeing the size of my eyes! After a major panic attack at the opticians, they told me I could pay for thinner lenses, which I did. They are SO worth the money - my eyes are still slightly larger than their normal size, but they don't look anything out of the ordinary :biggrin:
I've got glasses almost identical to the OP (wear them all the time), and when I first got them with the lenses, I nearly died when seeing the size of my eyes! After a major panic attack at the opticians, they told me I could pay for thinner lenses, which I did. They are SO worth the money - my eyes are still slightly larger than their normal size, but they don't look anything out of the ordinary

I've got the thinner lenses as well- they hardly affect the size of my eyes at all. I like how I look in my glasses & it makes a nice change being able to see clearly. Its just really annoying having the constant pressure of the frames against my ears. Can't wear contacts either so hopefully I'll just get used to it
Reply 28
I've got the thinner lenses as well- they hardly affect the size of my eyes at all. I like how I look in my glasses & it makes a nice change being able to see clearly. Its just really annoying having the constant pressure of the frames against my ears. Can't wear contacts either so hopefully I'll just get used to it
You can adjust the ear parts or put silicone things to make them softer.

By the way, what is your prescription?
and Why can't you wear contacts?
I can't wear contacts because I've got really sensitive eyes & have had infections before. Not sure about my exact prescription- I'll have to check, but its for short sight. I'll have to look in to getting some of the silicone things because I don't like the feel of them at the moment even though their supposed to be adjusted for comfort . Maybe its because I've gone straight from not wearing glasses at all to wearing them all the time & I'm just not used to it
Reply 30
I can't wear contacts because I've got really sensitive eyes & have had infections before. Not sure about my exact prescription- I'll have to check, but its for short sight. I'll have to look in to getting some of the silicone things because I don't like the feel of them at the moment even though their supposed to be adjusted for comfort . Maybe its because I've gone straight from not wearing glasses at all to wearing them all the time & I'm just not used to it
I was not supposed to wear contacts at all as well because I have sensitive eyes. I used to wear contacts for sports and school. If you take good care of them it should be fine.

In addition there are some sorts of hard contacts that suit people with sensitive eyes.

You should get used to wearing glasses (I am wearing them for over 7 years and still not really used to them, well I am not really wearing them all the time)
Reply 31
Could be that the glass lenses themselves need thinning :smile:
Could be that the glass lenses themselves need thinning

Don't think so. I've already got the thinner lenses + they're rimless at the front. They've got thicker frames at the sides so that probably doesn't help comfort-wise. Like I've said should get used to them after a while.
Reply 33
Original post by welshyelmo
Long sighted lenses (that sounds weird but you catch my drift) tend to make the eyes look bigger, for some obscure reason, while short sighted lenses do the reverse. So changing the frames probably won't make much difference I'm afraid.

Anyway, big eyes are cute.

Right. I was thinking why my glasses made my eyes look smaller before I opened the thread. That's it.
Reply 34
Original post by Rybee
So, I wear glasses similar to these:

I only really wear them when I'm doing a lot of reading at uni. But they definitely make my eyes look massive and it puts me off wearing them :/

I look like this: :eek:

Does anyone know if anything can be done about it? They are my first pair of glasses so I didn't really expect/ask anything about this originally. If it makes a difference, I'd class them as thick framed glasses. Is it simply changing the lens or is it the fact that they're thick framed the issue?

Any help welcomeeee! :smile:

shortsighted?
:shock: Me too. My glasses makes my eyes look big. Although I love wearing glasses but sometimes, I just feel like I don't look okay without it. So I'd rather stick with it.
Reply 36
Well if your eyes look larger when you wear your glasses I assume the lenses in them would be concave, thus is what distorts the rays entering you eyes so they meet correctly on your retina. Your eye in turn would seem larger because concave lenses make images diverge (bigger) to allow you to see them correctly. Glasses work the same both ways. It makes both the images going in and out bigger, so in fact it is your lenses that make your eyes seem bigger and not your frames.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest