The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think you will get a good education in any college. Go visit some colleges, make a short list of preferences. Think about size, location, etc.
Reply 2
I would only go for colleges with Philosophy Director of Studies.

Other than that there is very little difference. College choice is not just the best about academia, as the teaching is done out of college, apart from supervisions.
Go to an open day for a few colleges which take your fancy and have a chat with the DoS there.
Reply 3
I don't think there is a significant difference between philosophy at different colleges - what mattered more to me was a beautiful environment to philosophise in since academically Cambridge is Cambridge whatever college you go to.

If I had to pick one for philosophy though, it would have to be Trinity. Not only did the main philosophers (Russell, Wittgenstein, Moore, etc) study there but Trinity has a fantastic academic reputation in its own right.
Reply 4
Trinity is a difficult college to get into, plus they expect alot at interview - more than perhaps other colleges do. Having said that, it does offer the most places for Philosophy.

Gonville & Caius is also quite strong for Philosophy, but then Caius is academically strong full stop, as it Emmanual.

Perhaps a college close to the faculty would be a good idea? I agree mainly with other posters that because Philosophy is taught outside college, the college generally doesn't matter. Having a DOS or being close to the faculty itself is perhaps a set of better concerns.

I am not too sure how important the environment is when studying Philosophy. Just because you think when the buildings are beautiful doesn't mean that you are a better Philosopher! Cambridge however, is generally regarded as the best place in the country to read Philosophy.

See: http://www.hero.ac.uk/rae/ and http://www.qaa.ac.uk/revreps/subj_level/q510_01_textonly.htm

Oxford's Philosophy department is the biggest in the world though, but it doesn't do straight Philosophy - you have to do it with a combined subject.
Wow, thanks for the advice! I'm definitely considering Trinity and Caius, and maybe also Kings. I'm going down to the faculty's open day in March so I can have a look around and see what appeals. Until then, I'm just hoping my AS levels go ok....
Thanks again.
Reply 6
suspicious_fish
Wow, thanks for the advice! I'm definitely considering Trinity and Caius, and maybe also Kings. I'm going down to the faculty's open day in March so I can have a look around and see what appeals. Until then, I'm just hoping my AS levels go ok....
Thanks again.

Bleh, I don't care if they're good at Philosophy but I wouldn't want to go to Caius. Some of their things seem so archaic, and they're closing gardies so you'll be almost universally hated :smile:.

Alaric.
Reply 7
Alaric
Bleh, I don't care if they're good at Philosophy but I wouldn't want to go to Caius. Some of their things seem so archaic, and they're closing gardies so you'll be almost universally hated :smile:.

Alaric.

Is that common? To blame an individual for the actions of his / her college? Isn't that akin to saying "All Germans are Nazis?" The few don't equal the whole you know.
Reply 8
Tek
Is that common? To blame an individual for the actions of his / her college? Isn't that akin to saying "All Germans are Nazis?" The few don't equal the whole you know.

Hehe, tongue in cheek posts evidently don't translate well across the internet.

:rolleyes:

Alaric.
Reply 9
suspicious_fish
Thanks again.

I know someone who did philosophy at Trinity and he said he liked Caius a lot, but not sure if that had anything to do with the philosophy tutors there, it may have been because he liked some students he knew that were at Caius. However, when he was planning his application, the admissions secretary at King's warned him not to apply because they were so oversubscribed. She didn't know anything about him, it wasn't like 'don't apply because you're a weak candidate', it was just 'don't apply to Kings unless you want to face pointlessly long odds.' So he didn't. Also I know of someone who was a very strong candidate who applied to Emmanuel for philosophy and didn't get in, because they are so over-subscribed, but he was pooled and fished out by Corpus.
"they're closing gardies"
'Scuse my ignorance, but what does that mean?
So, the odds are against me on Caius, Kings and Emmanuel..... how does the pooling system work, exactly? And should I be disappointed with any colleges? Obviously this is Cambridge, so none are going to be weak, but I assume some are worse - or at least less highly regarded - than others. Any thoughts? Any information most gladly recieved.
suspicious_fish
So, the odds are against me on Caius, Kings and Emmanuel..... how does the pooling system work, exactly? And should I be disappointed with any colleges? Obviously this is Cambridge, so none are going to be weak, but I assume some are worse - or at least less highly regarded - than others. Any thoughts? Any information most gladly recieved.

with pooling about as many people are pooled as are accepted an one oin five of those people are accepted to another college where less people have applied to the subject - for girls this means girls colleges and for everyone it means the colleges slightly out of town (girton and homerton etc). Whether you get in from the pool is down to recomendations from your first interviewer.

Musicboy
Reply 12
suspicious_fish

Gardies = The Gardenia, a Greek takeaway kebab place on Rose Crescent. Very popular with the student population, especially after drunken nights out. Caius own the lease on it (or something) and are making them close down; not sure when, but very soon. This is not a popular move.

Latest

Trending

Trending