The Student Room Group

Public Sector Vs Private Sector

Whos got the better deal, in the public sector you get your pension, your pay rises even in recession and you've pretty much got job security. In the private sector work is performance based so if your good you get paid more or can earn a promotion, its easier to change jobs and if you work for certain large companies you an get transferred to stores in different countries. If you work in a small business theirs absolutely no health and safety worries because no one cares.
Correcting a few things that are just wrong in your first post...public sector pensions are being reformed so they aren't as good as they once were, they have had a pay freeze for two years, and hundreds of thousands of jobs are set to go.

Also I work for a small private business and they definitely care about health and safety, anyone can get sued.

Back on topic... workers with low skills are better off in the public sector, highly ambitious and talented workers are better off in the private sector.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rich2606
Correcting a few things that are just wrong in your first post...public sector pensions are being reformed so they aren't as good as they once were, they have had a pay freeze for two years, and hundreds of thousands of jobs are set to go.

Also I work for a small private business and they definitely care about health and safety, anyone can get sued.

Back on topic... workers with low skills are better off in the public sector, highly ambitious and talented workers are better off in the private sector.

WOw it must bhorrible having your pay froze lol were u being sarcastic there. I agree with you on the bottom bit though, so r we saying that police, fireman and so on have low skills. My argument is if a plumber or a kitchen fitter who have to lift heavy baths up stairs and carry really heavy cabinets and american fridges can carry on doing that till their 65 then why cant a fireman or a copper run up and down ladders and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest