The Student Room Group

How hard is Pharmacy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FallenPetal
Ahh, glad to help :smile: Always ready to gently guide prospective Pharmacy students this way and all that ^^

Trust me, UEA - and most Pharmacy courses for that matter - are nowhere near as scary as they look. The UEA open day is definitely worth going to at least ^^

yeah thanks for your help :smile: i will go to that and will apply there too :smile:
Reply 41
is it community or hospital phamacy you doing...?
Reply 42
Its pretty hard but not as demanding as some of the other sciences like chemistry and physics
Reply 43
Hey guys just had a couple questions, I am an international student and I won't be working in England after I get my MPharm degree. Just wondering which school out of "The University of Central Lancashire" and "The University of Hertfordshire" would be easier. I'm willing to work hard I'm just wondering which one would be easier.

Also which place would it be cheaper to live in? Preston, Engalnd (The university of central Lancashire)

Or

Hatfield England? (The university of Hertfordshire)
Original post by SteveNai
Hey guys just had a couple questions, I am an international student and I won't be working in England after I get my MPharm degree. Just wondering which school out of "The University of Central Lancashire" and "The University of Hertfordshire" would be easier. I'm willing to work hard I'm just wondering which one would be easier.

Also which place would it be cheaper to live in? Preston, Engalnd (The university of central Lancashire)

Or

They're both equal in terms of 'difficulty to get into' and Preston is cheaper to live in.
Reply 45
Original post by SteveNai

Or

Don't bother with Preston... I've lived here for 16 years and cannot wait to go to a Uni far away because it is an awful place.

Preston is quite cheap for students btw
Hi! is anyone studying pharmacy at Manchester ?
Reply 47
Hi,
Can I ask you which university are you studying at please?
Thanks.
how many percent of chemistry do you need to study pharmacy
You'll be fine with those grades! it is extremely demanding and a lot of work. I took Biology at A level and only got a C and I'm very very close to leaving as without chemistry and a low A level grade in biology it is really hard to understand everything and is requiring a lot of extra work. I passed the first year without chemistry A level, so you'll definitely be able to do it.
It can be interesting at times, but like others have said theres countless essays, online quizzes, lab reports, presentations, group work, calculations tests etc. You have to commit a lot of time to it. I wouldn't recommend it to people who didn't take biology AND chemistry, but again it depends how much extra work you put in.
The grim reality of pharmacy school is that
Because there is no cap on places, they accept students with low grades - low enough to indicate that the student isn't bright enough to succeed in actually becoming a pharmacist. They may make it through university and get the MPharm degree, but then when they sit the pre-reg exam - an nationwide exam written by the GPhC and not the university - they fail.

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/gphc-warns-universities-reflect-entrance-standards

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/gphc-investigating-low-pre-reg-exam-pass-rate

Do not think that succeeding in getting a place to study pharmacy will guarantee that you will become a pharmacist - just look at the pass rates for the pre-reg exam, an exam that you MUST pass to become a pharmacist, is written by the GPhC, has nothing to do with the university, and you only get 2 resit attempts before you are no longer allowed any more - if it gets to this stage, you can never ever become a pharmacist in the UK.

June 2015: 74%
Sept 2015: 64%
June 2016: 95%
Sept 2016: 40%
June 2017: 78%
Sept 2017: 58%

Do not get sucked in to a false sense of security if you think that getting a place to study pharmacy indicates that you are good enough to become a pharmacist 5 years down the line.
Original post by Portishead
hmmmm. im sorry but you guys are over exaggerating. the course is really not that bad. first 2 years, is mindless step by step lab work in terms of coursework. and in terms of examinations. It's practically the same as A-levels just keep doing past papers and reading over lectures. lol @ working 24/7. really not like that at all. i dont start exam revision till a month before exams. Seriously, big up the course but don't make it out to be the hardest thing ever. it really isn't.

Hey, i am thinking of doing a pharmacy degree but i was just wondering, what did you get in your a levels?
Exactly the same happened to meI wasn't initially interested but had no better choice but to continue with the same degree which became more and more difficult with each semester .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending