The Student Room Group

Szent Istvan Univet, Budapest

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am a student at Szent Istvan University Budapest. I have just joined this forum so if anyone wants to ask me stuff - no problem!
Original post by wittsend90
I am a student at Szent Istvan University Budapest. I have just joined this forum so if anyone wants to ask me stuff - no problem!

Yay! Finally someone from Buda! haha its only been us at UVM on here for such a long time! What year are you in there? :smile:

Oh also, prepare to be bombarded with questions! :-D
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jakeh16
Hi Erin, came across the thread and thought i'd see if I can help!
I'm not at budapest, but probably going there in september, having strongly considered UVM. I have however spoken to a couple of students who have graduated from szent istvan, and both were very positive about the course. Both of them were more than happy to recomend going there, and are now working in the uk without any problems. They also stressed what a great city Budapest is to live in, and how much they enjoyed their time there.
I've also spoken to a professor from Bristol Uni, who went to a conference there and said he was very impressed with the course, but had never heard of the course at UVM.
It's difficult to know where to start, and what you'd like to know, so if you have any questions feel free to ask, and i can try and answer them, but can't promise anything!

For some reason, no ones heard of us! But i promise we exist! :biggrin:
Reply 23
I'm in 3rd year. so still a few more years to go!
I'm in 3rd year. so still a few more years to go!

Ah cool, so whats it like there? How big are your classes things? I'd really like to hear some general info about the place. Never been able to speak to a buda vet before, so you guys are a bit of an enigma :-)
Reply 25

Ah this is brilliant! I'm going to bombard you with a few questions, if you don't mind answering them... any other general info you could give would be amazing!

How have you found it so far in terms of syllabus, teaching standards, facilities etc, and do you get a good and varied amount of practical experience? It's a massive step going abroad to study, so it would be good to know how you've found it integrating, and how you find living in the city.. (it's a beautiful place, but how is it getting by when you live there on a permanent basis?) Do you know roughly how many students are on the english taught courses, and how easy it is to find a job back in the UK once you've graduated?

Sorry, I'll limit myself to those for the moment!

Reply 26
No no you're fine...bombard away!

In terms of syllabus: it is varied (like you have with any degree). Some stuff you say to yourself why is this relevant? But overall the syllabus is really interesting! The first two years are pretty theory based and not a lot of practical work,which is fair enough i guess because knowing the anatomy properly does help!along with physiology and biochemistry which are needed constantly as your progress through the years. Anatomy - I loved it. Dissecting dogs every week, sometimes piglets, puppies and chickens. Then once you pass your anatomy final exam, you do topographic anatomy, a trip to the stables or clinic to poke and prod for injection sites into joints, nerve blocks etc etc.
After these first two years, you begin clinical diagnostics, surgery, internal medicine and every week you go to the large or the small animal clinic for a days teaching.
In 4th and 5th year you're required to do shifts in the clinics with a 2/3 other students with the vet on call too.
Facilities: The university itself is pretty old.It is being done up bit by bit..Lecture halls are old-school but then again all you really need is a somewhere to sit and take notes and a projector or blackboard.The small and large animal clinics are very modern and not old-school at all.

Budapest to live in - I love it, couldn't say a bad word about it. Lots to do,cheap to live in,good transport system and anything goes really!Integrating was not a problem, everyone was in the same boat and open to meeting new people from different places. You get to know more people by doing practicals every week and obviously a few class nights out help also!
I wouldn't really have a clue about numbers, in my class there are about 100 students, I wouldn't even estimate cos I am awful at that! As for employability, I know the class that graduated last year, the students from the uk and ireland have returned home and all of them have them jobs. I think people are becoming more aware of veterinary degrees from Budapest and other eastern european countries, so we are just as qualified as anyone else!

Sorry for the essay...hope this is of some help!
Reply 27

Thanks so much for your reply! It's comforting to know that there is someone I can speak to who has first-hand experience of the vet school. I'm sure I'll be sending some more questions your way soon :smile: (probably getting more panic-ridden as the application process gets closer...)
Reply 28
Anyone thinking of applying for 2012?
thought I'd let everyone know that a few Buda vet students peruse the forum on horseandhound.com and are very friendly if you fancy tracking them down there!
Reply 30
Original post by adam*
Anyone thinking of applying for 2012?

Me!
well, I should be applying but might deferr entrybecause it's such a huge change so I feel that I need a year out to become more independant with bills and reant and things like that :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Qru
Me!
well, I should be applying but might deferr entrybecause it's such a huge change so I feel that I need a year out to become more independant with bills and reant and things like that :smile:

I may take a gap year also as my funds are pretty low! Are you applying to any other oversea vet schools?
Reply 32
Original post by adam*
I may take a gap year also as my funds are pretty low! Are you applying to any other oversea vet schools?

just curious, but aren't you a first time undergraduate? therefore wouldn't it be 'cheaper' (as in you don't have to find the money up front) to go to a UK vet school?
Reply 33
Original post by schizopear
just curious, but aren't you a first time undergraduate? therefore wouldn't it be 'cheaper' (as in you don't have to find the money up front) to go to a UK vet school?

Yeah, as much as I'd love to stay in the UK to study I have serious doubts about my grades so I'm just keeping my options open really. I will still be applying to UK vet schools but I just want to get into a vet school one way or another!
Reply 34
Original post by adam*
Yeah, as much as I'd love to stay in the UK to study I have serious doubts about my grades so I'm just keeping my options open really. I will still be applying to UK vet schools but I just want to get into a vet school one way or another!

ah, fair enough! good luck :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by schizopear
ah, fair enough! good luck :smile:

Thank you and you too!
Reply 36
Original post by adam*

Hey,
I might apply to the vet school in the Czech Republic as the vet that I'm working with now went there as did his daughter. It is accredited by the RCVS but not sure what it would be like for jobs in the future in the UK as the vet I'm working with is in Cyprus, so :smile:
I am applying to Liverpool for 2012 entry though and if I don't get in Europe will be my backup
Reply 37
http://www.univet.hu/english/education/1112/vet_1112.pdf

this is kind of a prospectus for the university is anyone would like to see it :smile:
Reply 38

Hi!

Glad to have opportunity to ask questions. This might seem kind of random , but I appreciate any answers.

I am a U.S. student that is accepted as a transfer to Szent Istvan University this year as a first year, I was lucky enough to be exempted from many classes offered in Sept. and because of this I have accepted a later start in February. My questions are regarding housing, what is your recommendation for where to live? Is it better to live in the dorms for the first year or to find a flat? Since I'm starting late I'm a little nervous about getting around the city and the school. If i do pick to live in a flat, I don't want to live alone, what's the best way of finding a room mate?

I also have some questions about class registration, how does it work? When and how do students register? I am coming to Budapest on Jan. 25, is that enough time to register for classes?

Thanks again
Hi i am either thinking of applying in 2012 or 2013, how has every body funded this,? or planning on funding it. i would be wanting to specialize in equine after, would budapest be ok for this as after reading some reviews from previous students the uni focuses mainly on dogs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending