The Student Room Group

Szent Istvan Univet, Budapest

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi. I'm new to the forum and this thread was the first one to catch my eye. I'm a budapest student. I almost served my time so I can tell you the good bits and bad bits.

The good:
The course is excellent for theoretical knowledge. Our graduates from last year have almost a 100% employment rate. The small animal clinic is almost always busy, there is a super surgery department with daily, advanced surgeries and if you have time the surgery dept is always open for students to walk in and watch. You have a very good chance of being admitted to first year. Yes the numbers are high for 1st and 2nd year. Students have to have all exams from 1st and 2nd year completed to get into 3rd year and this is where most of the drop outs happen. Most of the exams are oral, which means that any job interview will seem like a piece of cake if you get through. Budapest is a fantastic city to live in, very easy to get to and get around in.

The not-so-good
The practical aspects are lacking. You really need to be out seeing practice on every chance you get to go home because you won't see it here. For horsey people especially, the hungarian horsey girls here can be ferociously competitive, to the point at which they will actually move in and live in the large animal hospital for a week. This means that they are always there for surgeries, always there to place catheters, bandage etc etc and the foreign students can get left out in the cold.

The administration can be difficult to deal with. The ex-communist mentality states that the rules are very much the rules and will not be bent! Our year have found this more than anything because they implemented an extra semester for us which was not made known to us when we applied. Thus our 5 year course has now turned into 5.5 and they are still sorting out the details of our final, clinical semester. This should not be a problem for current hopefuls as they will definitely have it organised by the time you get to final year. I should stress, however, that the teaching staff are by and large, unhelpful. You will have to compete to carry out procedures and you will have a skin as thick as leather by the time you finish!

Having said all of this, if you finish 5 years in Budapest, you will get a job.

Feel free to PM with any questions.
Reply 61
I have been accepted to go to Budapest in September but what you said isn't really great I'm obviously expecting it to be hard but would you advise people to do the course? Are you happy you went there? :confused:
Reply 62
Original post by Sparkey90
Hi. I'm new to the forum and this thread was the first one to catch my eye. I'm a budapest student. I almost served my time so I can tell you the good bits and bad bits.
The not-so-good
The practical aspects are lacking. You really need to be out seeing practice on every chance you get to go home because you won't see it here. For horsey people especially, the hungarian horsey girls here can be ferociously competitive, to the point at which they will actually move in and live in the large animal hospital for a week. This means that they are always there for surgeries, always there to place catheters, bandage etc etc and the foreign students can get left out in the cold.

The administration can be difficult to deal with. The ex-communist mentality states that the rules are very much the rules and will not be bent! Our year have found this more than anything because they implemented an extra semester for us which was not made known to us when we applied. Thus our 5 year course has now turned into 5.5 and they are still sorting out the details of our final, clinical semester. This should not be a problem for current hopefuls as they will definitely have it organised by the time you get to final year. I should stress, however, that the teaching staff are by and large, unhelpful. You will have to compete to carry out procedures and you will have a skin as thick as leather by the time you finish!

Having said all of this, if you finish 5 years in Budapest, you will get a job.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

Original post by AnnaJK
I have been accepted to go to Budapest in September but what you said isn't really great I'm obviously expecting it to be hard but would you advise people to do the course? Are you happy you went there? :confused:

AnnaJK: I'm assuming that you didn't get a place in the UK? If so this is your only chance to study VetMed? What Sparkey90 describes is fairly normal at European universities (virtually identical to Austrian and German unis in my experience at least). It is easy (compared to the UK) to get a place, but whether you manage to stay on the course is totally up to you and much much harder! If you work hard and are motivated then you will survive. If not, then you'll leave/be thrown out. Basically if this is your only chance to be a vet then go for it, yes it will be a bit of a culture shock but as long as you're flexible and go with the flow then it will be OK. Here in Vienna there are loads of oral exams (hardly any written, which is good as my spoken German is much better!), we have exams where 80% of students fail, even in the 5th year! I think we probably have more practical stuff than Budapest, based on what Sparkey90 says, and we all take it in turns (in small groups of 5 or 6) on rotations so you would never be pushed out of horse stuff like that. But whether you get enough practical experience or not is up to you.

Obviously I'm not at Budapest but I would suggest you give it a try. It will all seem strange at first (especially the bureaucracy which can drive any sane and rational person crazy!) but it's worth it because in the end you will be a vet :biggrin: Good luck!
Reply 63
Thank you, I no I will have to work hard and I don't mind that at all and moving country isn't a problem for me either as I've done it before, I was just wondering did he think it was a good enough uni due to the lack of practical stuff and with moving country to do it I just wanted to be reassured...but I no you're right that I do really want to be a vet and it will be great at the end to sat I am one its really exciting and it is a great opportunity that I will definitely take! But I've only applied to one uni in the UK as I actually live in Ireland and I no the standards for getting in to vet uni's in the UK are high!! But thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 64
Is there any particular reason you're fixed on Budapest? Hungarian is a very alien and difficult language - you probably won't be able to speak it well even after five years. I'd suggest looking into a country speaking a Germanic language - they're easier to learn with English as your first language (as English is in the West Germanic family the basic words and syntax are easy to pick up, as are sounds/pronunciation). I'd suggest looking into Sweden or Denmark - reasonable cheap to live in, nice place to study (I studied in Norway for a while and am currently studying in iceland, both places are expensive hence why I'm not suggesting them as you sound like you have limited funds) - easy languages to pick up (Swedish moreso due to the bizarre phonology and disconnect between the spoken and written language of Danish), not too expensive, beautiful countires with a lot to see, excellent universities and education generally. You'd come out of a 4/5 year course with a great degree, culturally enriched and with fluency in a foreign language under your belt.
Original post by Einheri
Is there any particular reason you're fixed on Budapest? Hungarian is a very alien and difficult language - you probably won't be able to speak it well even after five years. I'd suggest looking into a country speaking a Germanic language - they're easier to learn with English as your first language (as English is in the West Germanic family the basic words and syntax are easy to pick up, as are sounds/pronunciation). I'd suggest looking into Sweden or Denmark - reasonable cheap to live in, nice place to study (I studied in Norway for a while and am currently studying in iceland, both places are expensive hence why I'm not suggesting them as you sound like you have limited funds) - easy languages to pick up (Swedish moreso due to the bizarre phonology and disconnect between the spoken and written language of Danish), not too expensive, beautiful countires with a lot to see, excellent universities and education generally. You'd come out of a 4/5 year course with a great degree, culturally enriched and with fluency in a foreign language under your belt.

Budapest, and many other European Unis, teach the Vet Med course in English, so there is no need to pick a country based on language :-)
Reply 66
Original post by tigercallie
Budapest, and many other European Unis, teach the Vet Med course in English, so there is no need to pick a country based on language :-)

I know. But I think that you might want to pick the langauge up after living there for five years, no? Unless you're a God-tier ignoramus.
Original post by Einheri
I know. But I think that you might want to pick the langauge up after living there for five years, no? Unless you're a God-tier ignoramus.

Not really. I've lived in slovakia for 3 years now and haven't "picked it up". It's quite difficult to learn a new language when you're in class, surrounded by English speakers for 40+ hours a week, with exams every other week, and weekends for doing more work. Doing a vet degree doesn't leave much time for doing any other kinds of learning.
Reply 68
Original post by AnnaJK

Yes, if you really want to be a vet and know that you'll be able to apply yourself than Budapest is fine. Just know that, while they don't require you to see practice during your summer hols in the pre-clinical years, Do It anyway!

You do know that the course is now longer than 5 years yes?
Reply 69
Original post by Sparkey90
Yes, if you really want to be a vet and know that you'll be able to apply yourself than Budapest is fine. Just know that, while they don't require you to see practice during your summer hols in the pre-clinical years, Do It anyway!

You do know that the course is now longer than 5 years yes?

Yea I do know it's longer than 5 years that's ok with me, and I also heard that you should do that on your holidays it's a good idea to get the practice you need...would you mind if I PM you with a question please?
Reply 70
Are there any Irish students doing veterinary in Budapest that I can PM with questions please, I have been accepted to go this September but i'd like some information about some things please?
Reply 71
Hello!

I have heard that many students are failing at St I stvan university ,,,,what is the rules if a x student are failing all the exames cant continue the next semester will she or he bee a passive student which means that the student can remain the place to start all over again the following year or the student has to apply again to the university?
Would bee soo thankfoul if anyone could answer this how is study at St I stvan University.
Thaxs
Jade
Reply 72
Hello!

I have heard that many students are failing at St Istvans University ,,,what happend if a student is failing on the exames cant continue the following semester is it possible to remain the place for the next year to start all over again or the student has to apply again to the university?
Would bee good to get some answrs on this as the rumors are that many students are failing !!!
Cheers
Jade
Reply 73
Original post by wittsend90
I am a student at Szent Istvan University Budapest. I have just joined this forum so if anyone wants to ask me stuff - no problem!

Hello!

Would like to know those how are failing the exames what will happend with those students? Can they start over the semester following year or they have to apply again to the university?
Cheers
Jade
Reply 74
Original post by Vet wish
I have been accepted as a transfer student to Szent Istvan for Sept 2012 if anyone else is/or is thinking of, let me know, we can share details! :-)

Hello!
I have been also transfered this year to St Istvan University.I only would like to know as I hear sooo many rumors about this University that many students are failing,,,what happends if U fail the exames and they dont let U to continue the next semester ? Can U keep U re place for the next year to start over again or U have to apply to the university again,,,I belive this is a important issue to know as many students are failing.
Reply 75
Hello!

Do anyone know how many student passing this university as there is many failing every year?
I also heard that they just taking the money so U have to begin all over again.
Is there anyone how can give information about this as the rumors are very negative about their system!!!
Also want to know if U dont pass the exames can U remain U re place to start all over again the following year or U have to apply all over again to the university?
There is no infomration about this and have mailed to the secretary but there is no replay.
Also what happend if U pay the deposit 800 Euro and U cant start that year if anything happends can U remin U re place for the next year or do U loose U re place and also the 800 Euro?
The secretary dont tell anything.

Cheers
Jade
I know some people who transferred form Budapest to my uni - I'm certain if you fail a year, you just have to repeat it, you do not have to reapply to the university. No idea about what happens with money though, you probably have to pay fees for the year again.
Reply 77
Thank U for the replay! What is the requirement to get in to Glasgow Univ were U study ?
-Jade
Original post by jadenr1
Thank U for the replay! What is the requirement to get in to Glasgow Univ were U study ?
-Jade

I dont know - www.gla.ac.uk
Reply 79
You get 4 chances to do end of semester exams and 2 chances to do mid-terms. If you fail you have to take a year out/ passive year and pass that exam during that year.

It's very hard to know what the failure rate actually is from 1st-5th year because some German people get accepted to Germany and leave after 2nd year and some people on years off join in along the way. Others drop out.

Anna, I'm sure you'll have a great time there. Don't panic. I gave you the worst bits but really it's as tough as any other vet course in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending