The Student Room Group

Are any of you really losing motivation?

Last year I was in yr 11 doing my GCSE's. At first I was doing badly and not putting in much work, the teachers were on my case and that motivated me. In the Febuary half term I started reivising and I ended up doing 2 hours a day as the exams drew closer. They were made out to be a life or death situation. I worked my ass off and got really good grades. Now the teachers are off my case, Im more laid back. Im under the illusion I will be absoloutely fine by doing minimal amounts of work.

Now Im in year 12 and I have no idea why, but my motivation to do well is so, so low. It almost seems as if I dont care anymore. I understand how important these exams are, but I have no motivation to do work. I feel slightly cheated. Last year GCSEs were made out to be so important so I worked my ass off. I hated revising, I ****ing hated it. But I did it and I was over the moon when I got my grades. However as soon as I started year 12 I pretty much realised those grades were not too relevent. They didnt mean much. So now Im just like "sod it" I dont care.

I dont want to do all that revision + more over again. It seems like yesterday when I was locked in my room, reading out of text books and highlighting etc.. the thought of doing that again is horrible. I started revising a few days ago, but the motivation isnt there. I really need to get myself into gear and start working. I have 7 exams in the Summer, the last thing I need is to do resits next year. Is anyone else like this?
Reply 1
ASs are actually important and in fact in quite a few ways more important than A2. They form a sound basis for your overall qualification (50% of the grade usually) and universities place an awful lot of emphasis on the work you do this year. GCSEs don't matter, but ASs have an awful lot of importance. Don;t let yourself down through laziness.
Reply 2
I know what you mean, I lack motivation sometimes too.
I think really you just have to balance the fun in your life with revision and work. Once you've had some to relax and find yourself in a better state of mind then you'll get a sense of how important A Levels are and then hopefully you'll find time to revise.

I can't revise in a lousy mood.
Reply 3
AS grades are probably more useful than A2 in a way. If you get good grades at AS, Y13 becomes a doss. It also means you are far more likely to get offers from universities which you want to go to.

I'm losing motivation now, but that's because I only need to average a C in German to have met my UCL offer, so it doesn't matter so much :cool:
I had this feeling at the beginning of A2. But I just had to think about why I was doing A levels and the goal to get to university.
I know what you mean. I'm in my final year at university which started in September. It's now March and so far I've handed in about a fifth of all assignments. I'm extremely unmotivated, it sucks.

Quick Reply

Latest