The Student Room Group

How do you get A-A*s in science A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Do universities see a big difference between A grades and A* at GCSE ?
Reply 41
Original post by D.V.Evans

For medicine, Birmingham does have a threshold of minimum A*'s. But as far as I know, A-levels are much more important.
Reply 42
I make a little presentation on a topic, let's say nucleophilic substitution. I put notes on revision cards and then make a powerpoint, then I make my mum sit there while I tell her all about it. You've got to understand the topic yourself to be able to teach it, and even when I'm explaining it, the things I don't quite get fully end up clicking.
You remember:
20% of what you read
30% of what you hear
40% of what you see
50% of what you say
60% of what you do
and 90% of what you read, see, hear, say and do - pretty much teaching!
Reply 43
Original post by D.V.Evans

I asked this to one of my teachers and he said that at every big uni conference he's been to, the Oxbridge admissions tutors and other admissions tutors say that 5 A's is the minimum requirement, nothing about how important A* are... A lot can change in 2 years.
Reply 44
when's the right time to start revising for as exams? and any advice on chem OCR salters?
Reply 45
past papers heck i just used mark schemes after a while
but nevertheless repeat the mantra

past papers are good
past papers are good
past papers are good
past papers are good
past papers are good
past papers are good
past papers are good
past papers are good
past papers are good
past papers are good
etc
Original post by nmiah
Hi guys :smile:
I've been revising really hard and keep thinking that I've cracked the revision formula each time but still end up getting good or high Bs in my exams - (despite getting As in mocks and class exams)
For all of you who get high As and A*s in these subjects especially Biology and Chemistry
How do you revise for it?
Do you have a particular method or any good advice you can give me on how to attain A-A*s in these subjects?

And it's not that I don't revise enough or do exam practise - I do, I revise for hours everyday - but perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way :s-smilie:

So any wise suggestions would be great guys and sincerely appreciated :smile:

Did you do any January exams? If so, why don't you get the scripts back and go through them with a teacher. This will help your exam technique so that you know how to get more marks next time.
Reply 47
Original post by Salliana23
Did you do any January exams? If so, why don't you get the scripts back and go through them with a teacher. This will help your exam technique so that you know how to get more marks next time.

Yes thank you - I have already ordered them so that I can look through them and see how I did, because exam technique is what I think my weakest link is
Reply 48
Original post by nmiah
Hi guys :smile:
I've been revising really hard and keep thinking that I've cracked the revision formula each time but still end up getting good or high Bs in my exams - (despite getting As in mocks and class exams)
For all of you who get high As and A*s in these subjects especially Biology and Chemistry
How do you revise for it?
Do you have a particular method or any good advice you can give me on how to attain A-A*s in these subjects?

And it's not that I don't revise enough or do exam practise - I do, I revise for hours everyday - but perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way :s-smilie:

So any wise suggestions would be great guys and sincerely appreciated :smile:

Know everything in your specification-specific textbook; specification; and every mark-scheme (for every past paper) ever published.

That's it.
Original post by BackDoorEntry
Two words: memorise mark schemes.

yeah i realised that i made that error
Reply 50
PAST PAPERS!!!
DO THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!
I got A* in all 3 sciences last year (GCSE AQA) and i thank it too all the paper i used up on those past papers!!

I also got an A in my physics unit 1 exam...again ,.....thanks so PAST PAPERS!!!!!
enjoy :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest