The Student Room Group

Advanced Diploma

Ok, I'm only in year 11 now so forgive me if some of the things I say are wrong.

I want to do either engineering or computer science in the future so I've started thinking about the courses that I want to do at college (I've applyed to a couple places but not actually decided where I should go). Now I know most unis prefer the traditional "academic" route with A-levels (or IB or Pre-U) but Cambridge and Oxford have both said they will accept candidates with an Advanced Diploma in Engineering provided they do A-Level Physics and Certificate in Mathematics for Engineering as part of their ASL. However, will I be disadvantaged if I did this? I quite like the idea of a hands on approach with the work experience and everything. Also, I already have an A-level maths A* and am planning to further maths as well so do you think these two + physics will be academic enough? I also ask because Imperial (aeronautical department) have said that the advanced diploma alone ALONE is NOT good enough to enter their course (without mentioning if it carries any weight at all) whereas the mechanical department think its ok with a-level maths and physics.

Oh and also I may actually do physics Pre-U instead of A-level and I may do maths AEA/STEP aswell.

Thank you for your time. :smile:

(Note: I'm not trying to say that if I took the normal route I'd get into these unis. I only mentioned them because they are some of the best unis in the country so I suppose what they say is generally followed/ok for other ones?)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
:bump:

Anyone? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest