The Student Room Group

What is computer science?

Can somebody please explain to me what computer science is?
What job does it lead to?
Also what is the salary like?

Lastly, I want to do it at a London Uni but don't have Maths at A Level. :facepalm:
I got an A in GCSE maths and I am taking economics and chemistry at A level which includes alot of maths.:smile:

I was wondering if there is anyway of getting through to King's for computer science without A level maths through adjustment?
Also how respected are City University London and Royal Holloway to computer firms?:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Yearforever

Lastly, I want to do it at a London Uni but don't have Maths at A Level. :facepalm:
I got an A in GCSE maths and I am taking economics and chemistry at A level which includes alot of maths.:smile:

I was wondering if there is anyway of getting through to King's for computer science without A level maths through adjustment?
Also how respected are City University London and Royal Holloway to computer firms?:confused:

You don't know what it is but you want to do it :confused:
Reply 2
Original post by ElMoro
You don't know what it is but you want to do it :confused:

I do know what it is but not in great depth....:/
Reply 3
I do know what it is but not in great depth....:/

What I mean is how can you be sure it is for you if you aren't precisely sure of what it involves.

Btw, the reason I haven't answered the original question is because I'm not qualified to do so and I don't want to give you any wrong infomation not because I'm being spiteful or something. :wink2:
Programming and maths
For the vast majority programming or IB
http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/computer%20science.do

I don't go by the average; instead by the 90%
Most do want you to have good grades in GCSE maths, but some will make you do a foundation year

Ask them, though they'll most likely want you to have GCSE maths at a good grade, or put you on a foundation course
Reply 5
Original post by de_monies
Programming and maths

For the vast majority programming or IB
http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/computer%20science.do

I don't go by the average; instead by the 90%

Most do want you to have good grades in GCSE maths, but some will make you do a foundation year

Ask them, though they'll most likely want you to have GCSE maths at a good grade, or put you on a foundation course

Wow thanks for that! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Also does it matter which university in London you got to for CS?
Reply 7
Also does it matter which university in London you got to for CS?

Yes. Some are more reputable than others.
Reply 8
Original post by Delaney
Yes. Some are more reputable than others.

Are City/RHUL respected?:confused:
Why do you specifically want to go to a London university? If you think the uni's are going to be better, some are but some are not. If you're going there for the student life, then fair enough
Reply 10
Original post by de_monies
Why do you specifically want to go to a London university? If you think the uni's are going to be better, some are but some are not. If you're going there for the student life, then fair enough

I just love the city of london! :love:
Reply 11

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending