The Student Room Group

Global warming myth or real?

I always thought global warming is over taught in Gcses science like there is political agenda behind it. I don't know if any one else agrees. Somehow at the time I thought I understood the science behind it very well later I realised I know nothing about it and its highly publicised area. I know there are sceptics. I am not one or qualified to be one I simply do not understand the science behind it well. I know there is a chapter dedicated to global warming ( I could be wrong a friend told me this), but I didn't take As chemistry. How does the rise of co2 emission and other green house gasses trap radiations? How does earth atmosphere protects the earth from high energy electromagnetic radiations yet allows the low energies like infra-red in. My understanding of waves tells me it should the other way around because the higher the frequency the smaller wavelength the easier it is for it penetrate through.
Reply 1
Original post by Meron
I always thought global warming is over taught in Gcses science like there is political agenda behind it. I don't know if any one else agrees. Somehow at the time I thought I understood the science behind it very well later I realised I know nothing about it and its highly publicised area. I know there are sceptics. I am not one or qualified to be one I simply do not understand the science behind it well. I know there is a chapter dedicated to global warming ( I could be wrong a friend told me this), but I didn't take As chemistry. How does the rise of co2 emission and other green house gasses trap radiations? How does earth atmosphere protects the earth from high energy electromagnetic radiations yet allows the low energies like infra-red in. My understanding of waves tells me it should the other way around because the higher the frequency the smaller wavelength the easier it is for it penetrate through.

The earth has an ozone layer which traps all the dangerous frequencies of radiation, for example, most of the gamma radiation is absorbed in the ozone, but some will get through, not enough to be harmful to us though(I don't study physics but this is what I remember from GCSE).

In covalent bonds, if you put heat into them, they begin to vibrate and the bond traps the heat, the different bonds depend on how much they can vibrate. A C=O will trap more heat than other bonds, hence the rise in CO2 will heat up the planet. Other bonds trap heat aswell, but not as much as a C=O, for example a C-H bond will, which is why methane (CH4) is also a greenhouse gas. There are also plenty of others.
Reply 2
Quite obviously real.

/thread
Global warming is a myth.
Climate change, however, is real.
Reply 4
Original post by Meron

Almost every bit of science you learn at school is wrong, in the sense that it is a highly simplified version of the current extent of scientific knowledge. Only people working at the forefront of a particular field fully understand it, and even then they may only be an expert in a very narrow area.

I don't think anyone is going to provide you with a full explanation of climate change on here. Try wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

Quick Reply