The Student Room Group

RE: A-level choices.

Hello guys,
I was just wondering how respected these A-levels are.

A2

English Literature
Mathematics
History

AS

English language

When applying for universities will I be at a disadvantage due to an A-level in English language. I understand universities and organisations perceive English language at A-level to be a softer option, this is slightly upsetting for me as I chose my A-levels around respectability.

Will I be at a disadvantage when applying to a university? University of Cambridge per say?

Thank you for your assistance.
Reply 1
Probably not... depends on your whole application really. Could pick up another AS if you really want?
Reply 2
English language is a very respectable subject!
Original post by Dan-app

Aww bless, aren't you sweet :fluffy:

Umm, no i should't think that it would be a problem as your main three are all very respectable. But if you're worried why don't you just e-mail the college and ask if it can be changed to a language or a science etc. (That is assuming that you're in year 11 now, not already doing the A levels)
Reply 4
English Lit, Maths and History are all A-list subjects and with decent grades (BBB) they will definitely get you into uni for an english related course.

English Language is a B-List, which means that universities still value it - but only against relevant degrees (which means that english language as or a-level would help you to get into an english course, but would be useless for a maths degree).

Basically, your options are absolutely fine. I myself am taking three a-list and one c-list a-levels, which is a usual combination. A recommended combo for going to university is two a-list and one b-list, but mostly people I know take two a-list, one b-list and one c-list.

A-List = Generally Suitable (help you to get into any degree)
= Sciences, English Lit, Music, History A-Levels...

B-List = Limited Suitability (help you to get into some degrees)
= Law, Business, Politics, English Lang...

C-List = No Suitability (won't help you on majority of courses)
= Music Tech, ICT, Film Studies...
Reply 5
Thanks for your replies guys.

Trinity state that as long as an applicant has two A1 and A2 subjects then they behold no disadvantage what so ever. An advantage intact.

I still can't help thinking that I will still perhaps be at a disadvantage and I have seen other people on the forum state that English language is perceived as a 'Micky mouse' subject.

I still have unroll enrolment to fully confirm A-level options, however currently I am pondering on the though of doing an AS religious education.

Thanks for your assistance guys.
Reply 6
Original post by Dan-app
Hello guys,
I was just wondering how respected these A-levels are.

A2

English Literature
Mathematics
History

AS

English language

When applying for universities will I be at a disadvantage due to an A-level in English language. I understand universities and organisations perceive English language at A-level to be a softer option, this is slightly upsetting for me as I chose my A-levels around respectability.

Will I be at a disadvantage when applying to a university? University of Cambridge per say?

It's pathetic that you're basing your entire life on what others think. If you really want to get into Cambridge or Oxford, do you really believe that they will want to see a sheep? Show some independence, and study what you want and love. That way, you will thrive.
Original post by mabelbarc
English language is a very respectable subject!

It is indeed, those choices seem fine :smile:
Reply 8
I did a media A level and got accepted by every university I applied to, granted I didn't apply to oxbridge :p: so I don't think you'll be at that much of a disadvantage.

What you're doing are pretty respected subjects (you'll always get a few dickheads who say english is a dud but just ignore them) and you've always got maths to "make up" for the abundance of humanities you've done.

But then, it does depend on what you're doing at uni, if you're applying for history they won't expect you to have an A level in physics, for example.

You could just email a few universities/admissions tutors and ask, they're usually very up front about exactly what it is they're looking for.
Reply 9
From The Independent

These results are generated by plotting a student's ability (from GCSEs) against their actual acheived result.
(Harder subjects have a higher score)

The hardest
CHEMISTRY 0.96
PHYSICS 0.95
GENSTUDIES 0.87
BIOLOGY 0.81
MATHS 0.52
FRENCH 0.51
GERMAN 0.50
HISTORY 0.24

The easiest
FILM STUDIES -1.79