The Student Room Group

How to revise for maths???

I've got REALLy good marks all year, but in my maths AS mock I ended up with a C. I know I can do better and see know reason why I can't get an A in the real thing.

I think I kind of stressed out a bit, but in a way I'm happy I didn't do too well as It will shock me making sure I don't get complacent when it comes to the actual exam. Maths is something I'm not really sure how to revise for, for my mock I did practice papers and Q's and made formula lists and read notes but it didn't really work.

Does anyone have any good techniques of revising for maths???

thanks XD
x
Reply 1
Is there anything in particular you struggle with? Such as exam technique, understanding what the question is asking for, or simply how to do it?

The only way you can revise and make sure you are ready for the exam is to make sure you know how to answer any sort of question they give you, for some people this means doing practise questions/papers, or some others simply find remembering formulae is enough. Find what works for you and stick to that.
I was looking A and only ended up with a B :frown:

I recommend this

www.examsolutions.co.uk
Reply 3
I'm no Euler, but I'd recommend that you repeatedly practice the techniques you find difficult.
personally nothing beats doing a hell of a lot of past papers, preferably in exam conditions. then going over them, working out where your weakness lies and doing loads of example questions out of your text book on that area.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by spontaneousma
is mathsnet anygood?

Mathsnet need subscription but it's very good I've used it it has all the exam paper on it and plenty of exam style questions for you to practice with markschemes, I'd recommend using it.
Original post by Casshern1456
Mathsnet need subscription but it's very good I've used it it has all the exam paper on it and plenty of exam style questions for you to practice with markschemes, I'd recommend using it.

Reply 9
Original post by yaymeg

Original post by yaymeg
I've got REALLy good marks all year, but in my maths AS mock I ended up with a C. I know I can do better and see know reason why I can't get an A in the real thing.

I think I kind of stressed out a bit, but in a way I'm happy I didn't do too well as It will shock me making sure I don't get complacent when it comes to the actual exam. Maths is something I'm not really sure how to revise for, for my mock I did practice papers and Q's and made formula lists and read notes but it didn't really work.

thanks XD
x

Doing practise papers is good, but after the first one or two I usually do them timed and without notes. That way it helps me get used to doing them under exam conditions.
IMO, the best way to get better at maths ('revision') is to do loads of past papers, as many have said. In addition, do a few textbook questions on whatever areas you're feeling weak on.
Original post by yaymeg

thanks XD
x

Which exam board do you use?
I downloaded and printed out every single maths past paper on the OCR website and managed to get As.
It's just practice.
Reply 12
First thing to do is to go through all of your textbook, revising all the formulae, techniques, proofs etc.
Then practice as much papers as you can, but make sure that you understand where you've gone wrong and try not to repeat same mistakes again. Good luck!
Reply 13
What I did:

Gather all the past papers (probably about ten or so)

1 - Do the oldest couple in your own time, and if you don;t know how to do the question, look up the answer and learn whatever you didn't know

2 - Continue doing papers in your own time, but don't check answers till the end. If you get something wrong, do the question again until you get a fully correct answer.

3- Save a couple of papers and the specimen paper, and look over what you still need to learn from all the other practice papers. Then do these last and most recent papers under exam conditions.

Basically what my whole class did, we got the best results ever for our school, despite barely working in class :tongue:
Reply 14
two words - PAST PAPERS :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest