The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

goodie goodie gum gums

hey people im new to this crazy new forum thing.
is anyone finding making new friends as hard as i am? i have loads of friends back in nottingham where i come from and did a year out in manchester last year and i just figured coming to uni would be a breeze and id gel with people quickly but ive met people but not really clicked with anyone, noone brings out the best in me, you know?
i spose im just wondering if im the only one finding it hard cos everyone else seems to be in the perfect flat for them except me and im so peeved cos its not fair, my uni experience would be so much easier if i got on with my flat really well and met people like me,
lucy from cartmel
Hey, I know what you mean. My flat is very nice but we dont click as much as I would like us to. We all do our own thing really and dont do anything as a flat. I dont think its fair how we all come to university expecting this certain fantasy to happen of no work, going out all the time, millions of friends etc which everyone tells us about because it can lead to dissappointment. Have you met many people on your course?

Your in the best college tho, thats gotta count for something! (cept for the long walk?) heehee
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Lol speak to random people like i do after my lectures.

Worked so far. Got to know some cool peeps by doin that

:smile:
Reply 3
Originally Posted by ribenacreep
hey people im new to this crazy new forum thing.
is anyone finding making new friends as hard as i am? i have loads of friends back in nottingham where i come from and did a year out in manchester last year and i just figured coming to uni would be a breeze and id gel with people quickly but ive met people but not really clicked with anyone, noone brings out the best in me, you know?
i spose im just wondering if im the only one finding it hard cos everyone else seems to be in the perfect flat for them except me and im so peeved cos its not fair, my uni experience would be so much easier if i got on with my flat really well and met people like me,
lucy from cartmel

Have to say, you sound like me, haha. :redface: I've kind of got used to not having any proper best type friends now, have always been a bit of a solitary person anyway. If I want to go out, one of my best mates from school is here in Bowland so I go out with her and her flatmates, who are all lovely. I wish I'd got put with people like me in my flat too, but oh well, I guess it could be worse.

Talking to people on your course is a good idea, yeah... I mean, as much as I haven't made any huge friends from that, I do at least have people to chat to in seminars and stuff.

I'm in Cartmel too. Maybe it's something about this place that makes people not have friends, haha.
i sort of have the same thing with my flat. we all get on ok and do do stuff togeter eg go to clubs/watch films and they are all very nice but i just dont feel like ive clicked with anyone yet.
maybe we are just so spoilt with our friends back home and sort of forgetting it took us years to get the relationships we got back home. After all we havent even been here 2 months yet so i guess we cant expect best of friends yet?
Hrmmm or maybe I'm think too much and should just go to bed?!
Reply 6
sort of forgetting it took us years to get the relationships we got back home. After all we havent even been here 2 months yet so i guess we cant expect best of friends yet?
Hrmmm or maybe I'm think too much and should just go to bed?!

Nah, I think you're right. When I think back, I've known my friends back home since like year seven so it's expecting a bit much to find a best mate or the likes in the first term. Oh well, I guess sometimes it just feels like everyone else has made like bosom buddies already.

Let's hope things pick up, eh? :smile:
thing i also dont get is that people are already getting worked up about accomodation next year. surely the people you know now you might not want to share a house with next year. :confused:
Reply 8
I'm in cartmel too :-)
at this rate we should meet up so all us people who don't know too many people can meet more people. My best tip would be sit next to random people in lectures/seminars and chat to them about random things.
I am sure I know a lucy from cartmel first year but its slipper my mind.
Reply 9
Am feeling much the same way myself. Also whilst residing in Cartmel...

Admittedly its far less of a concern for me as I can make the journey back home within two hours of the inclination. Been seeing the 'old gang' plenty.

I tend to like the time to myself - am a solitary creature - but do feel a tad envious if I look out from our usualy empty kitchen and see several others which have people sat down and talking with each other.

But as pointed out. Its not even been two months yet. Concern is natural but its too early for worrying :smile:
Originally Posted by Lawson
I tend to like the time to myself - am a solitary creature - but do feel a tad envious if I look out from our usualy empty kitchen and see several others which have people sat down and talking with each other

UGH! I SO know what you mean there! I stand there at the window of my kitchen while waiting for my beans on toast to cook and see people sat around chatting and laughing when I'm going to take my dinner back to my room and eat it in front of the TV, hahaha. Oh well.

Seriously, what is UP with all us lonely Cartmellians? I thought I was the only one, have to say am more than a little relieved!

Originally Posted by browzer-911
surely the people you know now you might not want to share a house with next year.

I thought that too, which is why I just decided to put my name down into the lottery to stay on in college next year. Don't think I would want to live with anyone I've met so far, really, so I reeeeeally hope I get picked in the lottery. :redface:
oo-er i didnt even know there was a lottery?

I dont know what Im doing next year for living place. Probably panicing at the last second and living in a cardboard box outside of faraday. At least then i wont be late to lectures?
Yeah, I am only 45 minutes away from home but all my old friend have gone off to uni themselves. Starting to miss them kinda...
well how about meeting up one night, not got anything planned any time apart from wednesday so someone else suggest a date :-)
Originally Posted by butterflytears
oo-er i didnt even know there was a lottery?

Yeah, there was an email sent around about it over the weekend. You were supposed to go to the CRO office and put your name down yesterday to be entered into the lottery for a room. Apparently it takes place next term and then a waiting list is formed, so I'm just going to rely on that, haha.
Reply 14
yey everyone else is finding it hard to, dammit forgot to check this page for like ever.
maybe we shud share some emails and talk to random forum people on msn.
xxx
Reply 15
I really need to go put my name on the list, hope it's not too late!

People can add me on msn if they want (pm me for addy) or y'all can just post on here more often! :wink:

James - Lurker-in Chief :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending