The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by j.alexanderh
Yes. Yes, it is certainly a question. It is a sequence of words arranged in a grammatically logical order consistent with that of a question, followed by a question mark. What did you think it was? In fact, it is even more clearly a question than what you have written, because you didn't even bother with the question mark.

Glad to have wasted your time.
Original post by Neil_K
Define 'social status'. That sounds like some PUA or 'pseudo social science' theory or something

I never think about bull**** like 'social status' etc...I just concentrate on letting my real self shine in the most confident manner, and the results take of themselves.

Social status is how a person is viewed amongst a group of people.

So, if you look at the types of girls who fancy footballers, it's usually lower-middle class girls. Upper class girls don't really fancy footballers, because they look down upon them from a social perspective. Upper class girls are more likely to fancy rugby players.......... oh like- zara phillips her rugby fella?
Reply 122
Original post by future_hopeful_uk
Social status is how a person is viewed amongst a group of people.

So, if you look at the types of girls who fancy footballers, it's usually lower-middle class girls. Upper class girls don't really fancy footballers, because they look down upon them from a social perspective. Upper class girls are more likely to fancy rugby players.......... oh like- zara phillips her rugby fella?

I get what you're saying...I mean, a chav dressed in trackies and nike tops is going to be perceived as lower 'social status' than a guy who dresses well and is better educated.

I don't really over-think things like 'social-status', though, to be honest. I am who I am, and I just let my real self shine....some people will like me, some won't. That's my perspective.
Original post by Neil_K
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If they perceived this teacher as totally ugly, they wouldn't be interested in sleeping with her.

But that contradicts what you were saying about women and "sexy ugly men." Few women would sleep with a man if she wasn't attracted to him at all. Some men aren't as shallow as you make out. And women can be a hell of a lot more shallow than men, in my experience.

Original post by Neil_K
You didn't invalidate anything I said. One example doesn't invalidate an entire argument. Nobody here has invalidated anything I've said, and nobody will because I speak the truth. Anyone who observes the world of dating for what it truly is will see that.

The fact remains: most men in society would not sleep with a blatantly ugly woman, no matter who much confidence, personality or charm she has....yet women regularly sleep with ugly/average looking men who have confidence, charm and personality.

You said "Yet, you would NEVER find men starting a discussion about 'sexy ugly women." Yes, it was only one example, but that is what my friends were doing, thus it invalidates your argument.

Original post by Neil_K
Nobody here has invalidated anything I've said, and nobody will because I speak the truth. Anyone who observes the world of dating for what it truly is will see that.

You are deluded. Please keep it up, your posts amuse me so.
Original post by Neil_K
I get what you're saying...I mean, a chav dressed in trackies and nike tops is going to be perceived as lower 'social status' than a guy who dresses well and is better educated.

I don't really over-think things like 'social-status', though, to be honest. I am who I am, and I just let my real self shine....some people will like me, some won't. That's my perspective.

What im saying is you think personality and confidence are the be-all and end all. If you had the latter two, but pulled up outside a club in an old skoda, any girl who saw you and you tried to chat up later wouldnt be interested because the car affected your 'social status'.

So 'social status' is a higher-level term, which slightly encompasses 'confidence'. You have to be attractive 'socially' rather than just have confidence.
Reply 125
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shut up talking nonsense !!!!!!!!!!!

Explain to me why girl's go for footballers without mentioning confidence or personality. If you cant do that, then accept you are wrong.

Attraction doesnt have special rules for celebrities, they are human beings. So either i'm right, or Prince William has amazing personality or confidence!

Stop copping out with the 'im not talking about celebrities', im talking about human beings- so either reply or keep quiet and accept you're wrong!

Wow big boy! I've already explained that ANY GUY can get laid when they're rich or famous. The 'normal' rules of attraction do not apply if you're rich or famous....these guys have a 'free pass' when it comes to getting women.

So stop using rich/famous guys as examples to try and invalidate what I've said....

If you want to discuss this subject properly, discuss how non-famous, non-wealthy guys get laid. The fact remains: they don't get laid with their looks....they get laid with their confidence, personality and charm. End of.
Original post by Neil_K
Wow big boy! I've already explained that ANY GUY can get laid when they're rich or famous. The 'normal' rules of attraction do not apply if you're rich or famous....these guys have a 'free pass' when it comes to getting women.

So stop using rich/famous guys as examples to try and invalidate what I've said....

If you want to discuss this subject properly, discuss how non-famous, non-wealthy guys get laid. The fact remains: they don't get laid with their looks....they get laid with their confidence, personality and charm. End of.

I deleted that post as soon as i read your reply above
Reply 127
What im saying is you think personality and confidence are the be-all and end all. If you had the latter two, but pulled up outside a club in an old skoda, any girl who saw you and you tried to chat up later wouldnt be interested because the car affected your 'social status'.

So 'social status' is a higher-level term, which slightly encompasses 'confidence'. You have to be attractive 'socially' rather than just have confidence.

I disagree, future_hopeful. I actually don't think 'social status' attracts women to the guy himself....'social status' simply attracts women who are interested in the the guy's money, the guy's career connections, free dinners, free gifts and other 'incentives' that manipulative women use rich/famous guys for.

'Social status' doesn't attract women to the guy himself, but merely attracts them to what he can offer them materialistically. Big difference.
Reply 128
I deleted that post as soon as i read your reply above

Ok...
men can make up for it with money, humor or status. Women cannot.
Original post by Neil_K
I disagree, future_hopeful. I actually don't think 'social status' attracts women to the guy himself....'social status' simply attracts women who are interested in the the guy's money, the guy's career connections, free dinners, free gifts and other 'incentives' that manipulative women use rich/famous guys for.

'Social status' doesn't attract women to the guy himself, but merely attracts them to what he can offer them materialistically. Big difference.

So why didn't Coleen Rooney leave Wayne when he cheated on her if she's only after his money? She's got her own money.........

Why was Victoria Beckham attracted to David Beckham when she had her own money?

Answer: they genuinely fancy their husbands
(edited 13 years ago)
I'd say ugly guy, but maybe that's just cause I go to an all girls' school so a lot of girls are just really desperate for any kind of male attention hah
Reply 132
Original post by Philbert
But that contradicts what you were saying about women and "sexy ugly men."

How does it contradict what I was saying?

Few women would sleep with a man if she wasn't attracted to him at all.

Define 'attracted to him'.

Attraction for men and women is different. Men are more visually oriented, at least initially, and this is why a girl's looks are what initially attracts men to her. But for women, it's a man's overall confidence and demeanor that attracts women, not so much his looks.

The problem with many of the people who have replied to this thread is that they believe attraction works the same for women as it does for men, i.e. they believe that women are attracted to men based on his looks, which simply isn't true.

Some men aren't as shallow as you make out.

Where did I say men were 'shallow'?

And women can be a hell of a lot more shallow than men, in my experience.

Manipulative women, who go after men to gain access to their money, career connections, or to use them for free dinners, gifts, free lifts, flattering attention, etc are shallow, yes. And there are a lot of these types in society.

Genuine women, who go after men for who they are and because they are genuinely attracted to the guy aren't shallow.

You said "Yet, you would NEVER find men starting a discussion about 'sexy ugly women." Yes, it was only one example, but that is what my friends were doing, thus it invalidates your argument.

If they found her attractive, they didn't find her ugly. They had SOME sexual attraction towards her. I still don't think your example is 'conclusive proof' that what I've said can be invalidated. You need to look at the world around you with your EYES FULLY OPEN and you'll see that in general, men don't date ugly women, but women do date ugly/average men....

You are deluded. Please keep it up, your posts amuse me so.

How am I deluded? What about my philosophies regarding approaching and dating women do you think I am 'deluded' about? I would be interested in your reply...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 133
It's neither & both :smile: there is no simple answer.. here's how it works:

If they're on their own - there is no way on earth they will make something work..
But if they are both together - well it works like (-) + (-) -> (+).. although god knows what could a combination like [ ugly + ugly -> ...? ] produce ^^ so there u have it
Reply 134
So why didn't Coleen Rooney leave Wayne when he cheated on her if she's only after his money? She's got her own money.........

Why was Victoria Beckham attracted to David Beckham when she had her own money?

Answer: they genuinely fancy their husbands

These are invalid examples, because you are talking about celebs dating other celebs. If a celeb dates another celeb, they aren't doing it for the money or the fame...they are more likely to be with them because they are genuinely attracted to them.

(Although Coleen wasn't rich or famous before she met Rooney, and it's been well documented that he gives her an allowance of money every month...so actually Coleen didn't have her 'own money' or even her 'own fame' before she met Rooney).

I'm talking about a non-rich/non-famous person dating someone who is rich/famous. If a non-famous/non-rich women dates a man who is wealthy and/or famous, there is a good chance that she is dating him for reasons beyond liking him for who he is, and rather to gain access to his wealth, career connections, etc.

You need to understand this distinction, future....
Reply 135
Original post by yahyahyah
yeah i don't think that's what you're all about, you overthink everything and your posts on this matter are always about 3 pages of utter creepiness. i'll be willing to bet you're incredibly unsuccessful, or you wouldn't be so obsessed.

my philosophy on dating is that i'm gorgeous and charming, and i don't give a seconds thought to all this approaching and overthinking - i don't need to, i don't struggle for partners, it's a non issue to me like most normal people.

advice: take up a sport or something.

***** got game
Reply 136
Why is this even a discussion? It should be obvious to everyone that it will always be easier for ugly women to get laid than it will be for ugly men.
Reply 137
Ugly girls can get laid because most guys will sleep with anything, particularly after a few alcoholic beverages.

BUT then again you could say ugly guys can get laid because girls are, to make a generalisation, more into personality than guys are. It's just that a lot of guys have really low standards so they don't give a damn about looks or personality so they're more likely to shag anything.
Reply 138
Original post by abc101
Ugly girls can get laid because most guys will sleep with anything, particularly after a few alcoholic beverages.

BUT then again you could say ugly guys can get laid because girls are, to make a generalisation, more into personality than guys are. It's just that a lot of guys have really low standards so they don't give a damn about looks or personality so they're more likely to shag anything.

Low standards? Try realistic standards. Men are nowhere near as shallow or critical as women are, so most women should get off their high horse and stop believing that look like a Victoria's Secret model.
Reply 139
Philbert
Anyone can get laid if they really want to.

LOL. Try telling that to short and/or ugly men.

Latest