The Student Room Group

The Reading/Leeds Festival Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by designuk
So I want to go to Reading Festival this year but not actually been to one before so can anyone give me any advice on getting the tickets. This is also so I can hopefully maximise the chances of all my friends getting tickets too.

What are the chances of getting tickets?

How quickly do they sell out?

Are there any tricks to getting the tickets such as multiple windows open or multiple browsers to make sure you get to the front of the queue?

Also are there certain areas you have to chose for camping or does a ticket allow you to camp anywhere?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

When I got tickets a few years ago, I had three computers refreshing a couple of different ticket sellers. Tickets went on sale 6 (I think) minutes before they were meant to (Ticketmaster) and so I managed to get my ticket, however many of my friends did not within only a few minutes of the official sale time. That said, over the few days that followed, more tickets did come on sale as cards had been declined etc, and it would be worth trying for some of the coach packages etc if they suit you, as I think they tend to sell out more slowly.

Be warned that all of the sites will basically crash and so if you get them or not is pretty much luck! Obviously being there at the right time etc helps but if all the sites are crashing, all you can do is to keep trying, and try different sellers too.

I don't know for certain about camping, but I'm pretty sure that for Reading you just buy a ticket and you can camp anywhere - that's what I did a few years ago anyway!
Reply 21
So I want to go to Reading Festival this year but not actually been to one before so can anyone give me any advice on getting the tickets. This is also so I can hopefully maximise the chances of all my friends getting tickets too.

What are the chances of getting tickets?

How quickly do they sell out?

Are there any tricks to getting the tickets such as multiple windows open or multiple browsers to make sure you get to the front of the queue?

Also are there certain areas you have to chose for camping or does a ticket allow you to camp anywhere?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

firstly I do believe there is a limit on the number of tickets you can purchase in one booking (to minimise people mass-buying and then selling online) so check.
HMV sell them, but you literally have to start queuing outside the shop like 16hrs before, some people camp out overnight before hand :colonhash: your best bet is to have loads of mates round with phones/laptops and all of you ring/refresh the internet page simultaneously, from the very second they go on sale. persevere and you might be alright :yy: they sell ridiculously fast!
the camping ticket allows you to go anywhere, early bird lets you go in on the thursday (possibly wednesday I can't remember) so obviously you get a better pitch for your tents. good luck :h:

Original post by lozz2601
A ticket allows you to camp anywhere.
That's all I can really help with - I don't usually have to fight for tickets because I live there. All I can say is that I know they go pretty damn fast and multiple browers might not hurt.
If you don't get one off the official site MAKE SURE wherever you try to buy one from after is official - there are so many frauds out there now. Good luck!

:five: high-five for living in Reading. the resident tickets go on sale tomorrow yay, am getting mine then!
Reply 22
Original post by beffnee
When I got tickets a few years ago, I had three computers refreshing a couple of different ticket sellers. Tickets went on sale 6 (I think) minutes before they were meant to (Ticketmaster) and so I managed to get my ticket, however many of my friends did not within only a few minutes of the official sale time. That said, over the few days that followed, more tickets did come on sale as cards had been declined etc, and it would be worth trying for some of the coach packages etc if they suit you, as I think they tend to sell out more slowly.

Be warned that all of the sites will basically crash and so if you get them or not is pretty much luck! Obviously being there at the right time etc helps but if all the sites are crashing, all you can do is to keep trying, and try different sellers too.

I don't know for certain about camping, but I'm pretty sure that for Reading you just buy a ticket and you can camp anywhere - that's what I did a few years ago anyway!

A ticket allows you to camp anywhere.
That's all I can really help with - I don't usually have to fight for tickets because I live there. All I can say is that I know they go pretty damn fast and multiple browers might not hurt.
If you don't get one off the official site MAKE SURE wherever you try to buy one from after is official - there are so many frauds out there now. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies anyway. Surely it must be a few hours at least before they sell out?

I'm not sure if its better to just load up a few browsers and wait or keep refreshing it. I remember seeing a fb status for V tickets and someone said to not refresh the browser

How does it work for buying tickets, once you click buy and you get to putting your details in does that mean you are in and its just a matter of completing it? (although this is probably better answered by someone else who had more difficulty buying the tickets)

Also can you buy more than one ticket at once?
Reply 23
Original post by Mally-xo
firstly I do believe there is a limit on the number of tickets you can purchase in one booking (to minimise people mass-buying and then selling online) so check.
HMV sell them, but you literally have to start queuing outside the shop like 16hrs before, some people camp out overnight before hand :colonhash: your best bet is to have loads of mates round with phones/laptops and all of you ring/refresh the internet page simultaneously, from the very second they go on sale. persevere and you might be alright :yy: they sell ridiculously fast!
the camping ticket allows you to go anywhere, early bird lets you go in on the thursday (possibly wednesday I can't remember) so obviously you get a better pitch for your tents. good luck :h:

:five: high-five for living in Reading. the resident tickets go on sale tomorrow yay, am getting mine then!

It's ok for some :frown:

Do you know if you can buy more than once ticket?
You have every chance of getting a ticket as long as you are ready to go as soon as they go on sale, just be patient, keep waiting, it might take a while but keep trying. I 'think' you can buy up to four at a time from one computer... and I'm pretty sure the ticket allows you to camp anywhere within the festival site, well in the camping places anyway, not like, in the Arena. Maybe excluding VIP sections too :smile:. Also make sure you buy from the official website or websites you are sure are legitimate, last year I bought a fake one for Leeds (luckily got my money back) so just be careful!
Original post by Mally-xo

eeee I know, so excited :biggrin:
like the only times I am ever glad to live there....

and I thinkkkk they only sell them in HMV in three places: Reading, Oxford and Soton...
Reply 26
It's ok for some :frown:

Do you know if you can buy more than once ticket?

muahahaa, to be honest we have to deal with all the noise/rubbish/drunken youths :tongue: and I work right next door to where the festival is held and it is always a HUGE mess of mud in there which I have to clean up hehe. yeah i think its between 2-4!? google it :biggrin:

eeee I know, so excited :biggrin:
like the only times I am ever glad to live there....

and I thinkkkk they only sell them in HMV in three places: Reading, Oxford and Soton...

me too, Reading rocks for three days of the year and is crap for the rest :sigh:
ahh okay, OP ignore what I said about HMV :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
This is precisely why me and my friends bought our early bird tickets back in December. :h:

Plus Vodafone have their promotion where you get a chance to get tickets earlier before everyone else aswell.

I wish you all the best in the whole getting tickets thing though. :h:
Thanks for the replies anyway. Surely it must be a few hours at least before they sell out?

I'm not sure if its better to just load up a few browsers and wait or keep refreshing it. I remember seeing a fb status for V tickets and someone said to not refresh the browser

How does it work for buying tickets, once you click buy and you get to putting your details in does that mean you are in and its just a matter of completing it? (although this is probably better answered by someone else who had more difficulty buying the tickets)

Also can you buy more than one ticket at once?

As I said in my post, the year I went, they sold out within ten minutes (I think one place was within 7...) at the major ticket sellers. You will find that sites which have been down due to excessive traffic will still have tickets after the major rush, and tickets can still be bought after a few hours, but you will have much more trouble finding vendors with them available. And a limited number will appear after a few days too.

You will be able to buy multiple tickets, but the number will be limited. Probably to around 4 per card? Or address? Or something like that.

I can't say for sure about every vendor, but for the big ones, like Ticketmaster etc. if you get to the page where you are loading your details and that, they will hold your tickets for a set amount of time (2 minutes or something) for you to input your details so that someone else doesn't take them in that time.

No idea about refreshing the browser, someone else will be better to answer that than me!
Reply 29
you wait till the tickets go on sale scramble to buy them online by repeated refreshing pages and then your tickets arrive a week before the festival and you kind of just turn up
Reply 30
Original post by Nayberay
This is precisely why me and my friends bought our early bird tickets back in December. :h:

Plus Vodafone have their promotion where you get a chance to get tickets earlier before everyone else aswell.

I wish you all the best in the whole getting tickets thing though. :h:

Unfortunately I think they are sold out and also i'm not on vodafone but thanks anyway
Reading is awesome. GO!
Last year was my first year and it was brilliant! I already have my reading ticket for this year.

I soo hope Muse are headlining. It would be a dream come true! lol

Original post by Honeybear.
I'm driving to Reading for the first time this year. Got train + coaches before. Any tips for driving? Hard to find the carpark or lots of traffic or anything?

I drove last year. I'd never driven to Reading before, and I'd never driven on such a long journey before but it was fine! It was so easy to find the car park. We got there about 7 AM on thursday I think and there was no traffic. Only a few hours later there was a massive queue if I remember correctly. So my advice is to leave early if you don't want to sit in a car queue for hours!
Reply 32
just bought my ticket - Reading Resident ftw :woo:
hopefully the line-up release tomorrow night will be good, am praying for the offspring/taking back sunday/incubus/less than jake and not ****ty MCR.
Reply 33
Original post by Limoncello
When is the reading festival?

weekend of the 26th/27th/28th of August :biggrin:
Reply 34
woop woop! 3rd year running :biggrin:
I'm going to Leeds again this year - it's my 11th! :biggrin: I'm really excited for the headliners to be announced tomorrow!

Bit worried that my friend who's supposed to come with me won't get tickets though - she's doesn't seem that dedicated to getting tix and has said if she doesn't get them in half an hour tomorrow then she'll give up! :-/

Advice for Leeds- set off early or you'll be stuck in traffic for hours. I live 15mins from the site on a normal day but one year we had to leave at about 11am and ended up taking us 6 hours to get there! xx
Reply 36
Leeds is the best :smile:
going for the third time this year & i've already got my tickets :biggrin:
so excited!
Got my Reading ticket this morning - eee!
£200 well spent...I don't need to eat!
Reply 38
Bout time a thread was made! Leeds kicks ass, I'm so excited and it's not like it's even close... :biggrin:

I'm really hoping for a strong Lock Up stage this year; Rise Against, Anti-Flag and Rancid would kick ass.
Reply 39
The only way i think i'll go again is if Blur headline, and thats a hell of a long shot. Already going to see The Strokes and i'm not really bothered about Muse, Greenday (Rumoured) and MCR.

Quick Reply

Latest