The Student Room Group

AS results blunder

Nearly every one I know is really disappointed with there AS results from the January modules, I wondered if this was the case at other sixth forms. Also a few of my friends are annoyed at me for retaking my B as they consider it a really top grade but i want to do better anyone had this problem?
(I know a B is a good grade btw)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dilligaf16
Nearly every one I know is really disappointed with there AS results from the January modules, I wondered if this was the case at other sixth forms. Also a few of my friends are annoyed at me for retaking my B as they consider it a really top grade but i want to do better anyone had this problem?

Very few people are ever actually happy with their results from january. Remember people consider June exams to be "easier". I also had the same problem as I also got a grade B in a subject and decided to repeat and my friends were very angry and confused as they got Us and Es and considered the B to be high... In my repeat I got 100% so I would definitely reckomend you repeat.

Hope this helps

I would be really dissapointed if I got a B but I wouldn't say anything because it would upset people who are really proud of their C's and B's.
Everyone has different standards.. just don't tell them yours because they cant deal with it.

and, as always
This seems to have been the case in a lot of Sixth Forms this March :frown:
Lots of my friends who study hard (although, then again, I didn't see how much work they did over the Chrismas hols) and got decent GCSE results have come away with anything from Cs to Es. I know very few people, even those predicted AAA, who actually got their target grades.

With regards to resitting a B, I think it depends how important the module is in the marks for the course - people who got Bs in Chemistry, for example, have been advised not to resit by our Chemistry Department, simply because they'll likely pick up the marks in coursework and the Summer exam (often considered "easier").

If you want to resit, don't let your friends put you off. It's your A Level, not theirs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I got CDE and i'm retaking the D and E this summer and the C next january. i know someone who got 100% on maths and biology! and another who was predicted A in biology and got an E!
Reply 5
I will be re-sitting the exam in the summer and it's for biology so both exams carry the same weight (40% each) in my overall grade.
Reply 6
My teacher said people always do badly on their AS results in January, because they don't anticipate the amount of work and revision they need to put in when compared to GCSEs. I was pretty fortunate, I did a lot of revision and I think it genuinely did help - I barely did any at GCSE and still came away with A*s and A's. Some of my friends who thought they wouldn't need to do a lot of revision did badly.
Honestly, most people will say they work hard - that in their mind is doing home and reading the textbook. End of. That's the standard of an A grade at GCSE but at the standard of a D-U grade at A Levels, that's why people found it difficult. It's not their fault either in any way as GCSEs don't require a lot of work at all. It takes a lot of time to adjust to the work in A Levels though but once you don't do well in January, they exceed in their June exams.
Reply 8
I know what you mean, I resat a B and some people never seem to understand, B is a good grade but if you think you can do better why not resit it?
How many exams do you have in June? It might be better to resit in the A2 year once you cover syllabus that enhances your AS study and understanding (that's what I did and I just got all As in my resits :smile: )
Also, if you're talking about a science module, for OCR (I'm not sure about the other boards) the June modules are much larger so there's the opportunity to get more marks and potentially drag your B up to an A ... if you concentrated more on the June modules and not January resits then you'd surely be more likely to do this?
Reply 10
I know exactly what you're talking about!
A huge majority of people at my sixth form who were predicted A's from their G.C.S.E results got D's, E's and U's and were absolutley gutted. Even those who put in huge amounts of work came away with results that didnt reflect the effort they had put in, and i have to say, i feel like i am one of them.
I took maths and physics and was hoping for an A and a B but got a B and a C instead, and where the re-take is concerned, i sound like i am in a similar position to you. Most of my friends did alot worse and would be delighted with a B and can't understand why i am re-taking but i am pretty disappointed with it and feel as if i can do better. I just always feel abit harsh when i am clearly not happy with a B and they are celebrating over a C :s-smilie: but i decided that i'll judge myself on my own standards and not on the results the rest of my year got.
Good luck wiht a re-sit if you decide on it, and at least you know with a B that you are almost there and the task of pushing a B up to an A isnt so bad compared to the re-takes some are up against with their U's, which i guess is one thing to be happy about at least!
It really gets on my tits when people get annoyed with you for not being happy with your results. People need to realise that if they are dead chuffed with their B than thats for them, but If I'm disappointed with my B I'm not telling them that there grade is crap and they should be resitting.

*rage*
Reply 12

Just because your friends messed up their results does that mean you shouldn't be improving yours? last year I got good grades in January, and I too was contemplating resitting my B.You should resit whatever you feel you need to resit, your AS results are very important, when your applying to university but also for A2. Because is had a good grade in biology at AS level, I got a poor grade in January, but my AS level acted like a safety net, so i don't need to resit my January biology exam. Most people flop their AS January exam because they haven't got a clue what they are doing. I hope you do well OP!
I got a C in my AQA LitA so resat it and got an E?! Screwed up I tell you.
Reply 14
Original post by The_Goose
It really gets on my tits when people get annoyed with you for not being happy with your results. People need to realise that if they are dead chuffed with their B than thats for them, but If I'm disappointed with my B I'm not telling them that there grade is crap and they should be resitting.

*rage*

Don't worry this is exactly what's happening to me, it's like you should apologise for doing well and striving to be successful.
Don't worry this is exactly what's happening to me, it's like you should apologise for doing well and striving to be successful.

yep annoys the **** out of me. Even at uni though - people don't change I was disappointed with my january results last year because they were 60 and 61 when the year before my average was 67 and people were like "oh you got 2.1's just stop moaning"

If I wanted 67+ and I get 60 I'm just as entitled to be disappointed as someone who was aiming for 60+ but got 53.
Reply 16
I got straight C's and my minimum target grades are AAB. Apparently everyone does **** in these modules. I'm kind of glad I got **** marks I needed a kick up the back side to tell me to start revising "properly".
Reply 17

This has been the case for me too!! I got a B in my english as and wanted an A so resat, but som just don't understand:eek:! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!!!!!

Don't worry about it. I'm getting widespread angst from people for resitting 87% in a law exam.
Not your problem they have lower standards.

edit: er
(edited 13 years ago)

I know how you feel. I'm retaking C3, M2, and M3 though I got an As in all of them. I really worked for M3, and since some of the stuff comes in physics anyway I don't see why I shouldn't resit.
I need an A* in maths for my offer, so I'm resitting C3 (90/100) in case my C4 grade slips. You can never be too safe.

It's all relative anyway. What grades do you need? If resitting makes sure you get them, do it! You won't see the others after the next 6 months anyway. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest