The Student Room Group

Missed A in Maths by one mark...worth a remark?

I was just wondering if worth a remark. Got 58 on raw marks, 79 UMS and 59 was an A. This was on Edexcel, S1.

If you get it remarked and it goes down, does it stay at the lower level? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TotalLifeForever
I was just wondering if worth a remark. Got 58 on raw marks, 79 UMS and 59 was an A. This was on Edexcel, S1.

If you get it remarked and it goes down, does it stay at the lower level? Thanks!

Yes get it remarked!!! Hope it goes your way. :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Nayberay
Yes get it remarked!!! Hope it goes your way. :h:

If I get a lower mark, do they keep that mark?
Original post by jontylol
You'll get the highest mark :smile: Though this is planned to change in the next few years but that doesn't matter to you :h:

Excellent, thank you :smile:
It all depends on the situation, there isn't really enough information there for anyone else to propose a particularly backed-up course of action.

It does seem to be a good mark though, surely if you're aiming for an A overall, Just get As on the core modules to even yourself out to the grade you want? If you have to pay for a remark (at my school, it's around £40 :confused:), unless you were expecting to do much better, I'd advise you leave it as it is.
Reply 5
As Mathematics is a quantative subject it's probably not worth it unless it's free.
If I get a lower mark, do they keep that mark?

Yes, but why do you care?

If you had 79, what's the difference if you get 78?

Hopefully it goes up to 80 though, good luck :smile:
Reply 7
It's not worth it IMO. You may not technically have an A in the paper, but it's the overall UMS that makes up your final grade. One extra mark might push up the grade on that paper, but in terms of the final grade it likely won't make a difference. Maths isn't exactly a subjective subject either, most of the marks are simply "the answer is 6" or "used this formula". Unless the remark is free, I wouldn't bother paying for it.
Original post by BringBackDeathPen!
Yes, but why do you care?

If you had 79, what's the difference if you get 78?

Hopefully it goes up to 80 though, good luck :smile:

Sorry Fabregas.
I may do it, I may not. It's more for prestige than anything else, but seeing as it is one mark in it it is disappointing. Aiming for an A overall, so may just work harder for my next two modules.
From the Edexcel website:

"Candidates’ grades or uniform mark scores (UMS) can go up or down."

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/15-POST-RESULTS-SERVICES-FINAL-2010-11-121.pdf

For your AS result, the grade on each module doesn't matter anyway, just the total of the marks for your 3 modules.
Sorry Fabregas.
I may do it, I may not. It's more for prestige than anything else, but seeing as it is one mark in it it is disappointing. Aiming for an A overall, so may just work harder for my next two modules.

It'll be much easier to do better in the other modules, the re-marks don't always go your way.

What were your other modules?
Original post by BringBackDeathPen!
It'll be much easier to do better in the other modules, the re-marks don't always go your way.

What were your other modules?

Well I have just done S1 in January, and I have C1 and C2 coming up in May. Hopefully can get an A, but dropping Maths next year anyway.
C1 and C2 are much easier to score marks in imo, if you practice for long and well enough.

yer why not! Go for a remark :smile:. if it goes lower just re sit the paper :wink:.
Reply 14
I'm 2 UMS off an A* in maths and looking at the mark breakdown we think there may have been some dodgy marking going on with my C4 paper, so my maths department is paying for my remark, so I'm in a pretty similar situation to you :smile: Good luck!
Original post by jontylol
You'll get the highest mark :smile: Though this is planned to change in the next few years but that doesn't matter to you :h:

Clearly you don't get the highest mark - that would just be ridiculous! You get the correct mark. Whether that is higher, the same or lower.

I wouldn't get it remarked. It's one paper of 6, it's irrelevant that it was 1 mark from an A. The overall mark will be based on the score and not what grade you got in each module.
Original post by kerily
I'm 2 UMS off an A* in maths and looking at the mark breakdown we think there may have been some dodgy marking going on with my C4 paper, so my maths department is paying for my remark, so I'm in a pretty similar situation to you :smile: Good luck!

Thanks, and to you too! May I just say, you seem incredibly intelligent :P Sure you'll get that A*.
Yes, definitely.
You could appeal for it to be bumped up? (They often do if it's one mark)
Or get it re-marked and hope that someone missed one...

But it's obviously worth it
Reply 18
Thanks, and to you too! May I just say, you seem incredibly intelligent :P Sure you'll get that A*.

Aww, why thankyou! :smile: I really hope so. I already have an A* in further maths (by one UMS mark :redface:) so I don't actually need an A* in maths, but I really think I should get one considering I'm doing a maths degree and all.

But good luck with it!
Reply 19
Not worth it unless you're not paying for the remark.

But if you do choose to get the remark, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest