The Student Room Group

Why is computer science so "unknown"?

It pays good, but people usually want to do things like economics or medicine. Maybe its to do with that its not taught a GCSE and rare at A level. So people have to "self teach" them self's?
Reply 1
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
It pays good, but people usually want to do things like economics or medicine. Maybe its to do with that its not taught a GCSE and rare at A level. So people have to "self teach" them self's?

I think you misunderstand, computer science is all about mathematics and logic, so these things are covered by other GCSE subjects.

And it is not as rare as you think, almost every university's Comp Sci department is as full as the rest of them.

As about economics or medicine, maybe people that go for such subjects don't like spending their life in front of a computer screen, it is a life choice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cybergrad

Original post by cybergrad
I think you misunderstand, computer science is all about mathematics and logic, so these things are covered by other GCSE subjects.

And it is not as rare as you think, almost every university's Comp Sci department is as full as the rest of them.

As about economics or medicine, maybe people that go for such subjects don't like spending their life in front of a computer screen, it is a life choice.

CS is based in Mathematics and logic, but the particular topics CS covers are not covered by GCSEs, and in general there's a poor understanding of what CS is (a lot of people think it's about "computers" - famous quote by Djikstra: CS is as much about computers as astronomy is about telescopes)
Reply 3
Original post by laser
CS is based in Mathematics and logic, but the particular topics CS covers are not covered by GCSEs, and in general there's a poor understanding of what CS is (a lot of people think it's about "computers" - famous quote by Djikstra: CS is as much about computers as astronomy is about telescopes)

Great quote!

The greatest misconception, at least here in Greece, is that many people think:
Computer Science=IT
And even those who know a bit more about it, still sometimes think:
Software Engineering=Computer Science
Reply 4
Original post by alexmsf

Computer Science=IT

This! Most people think they're the same, while the divide between CS and IT students is like Rangers and Celtic!
Reply 5
This reminds me of every converstation I have with people about going to uni...:

Them: What have you applied to do at Uni?
Me: Computer Science
Them: Oh so like IT?

:angry:
Reply 6
Original post by sk225
This reminds me of every converstation I have with people about going to uni...:

Exactly!!:mad:

And what irritates me most is that because of this, many consider it "easy" when compared to e.g. an engineering degree. No respect whatsoever.

The worst comment is "Well, you kids know a lot about computers these days, so it makes sense!". It's funny because it makes none. They think that because our generation learned to use social networks and IM, this is as complex as computing gets. This is like saying that anyone who knows how to drive a car is as qualified as a mechanical/aero engineer or physicist.

Sorry for going into a bit of a rant there. :tongue:
Reply 7
Such misconceptions are evident mostly in the UK. If I say to a British person that I am an Electrical Engineer they reply with "Ah, do electricians make good money" or even ask me for a quote for fitting new lights in their house. I don't know why is that, it seems that every person that holds a tool in this country calls himself an engineer. This doesn't apply in any other country that I have visited.
Reply 8
Original post by sk225

Odd... This doesn't happen where I am. It's one of the most respected courses that people apply for.
Reply 9
Original post by sk225

Yeah whenever I complain about ICT A level people are always like, "don't you want to do IT at uni?" I /facepalm.
Reply 10
Original post by laser

Surely we cannot expect from a teenager to learn about algorithms, structures etc etc How do we find time to fit this in an already hectic timetable . This is something that can be learned on a later stage in their education if they wish so. If you have a good basis of mathematics and logic you can become a good scientist regardless of career path and this includes CS.
Reply 11
Original post by spongle
This! Most people think they're the same, while the divide between CS and IT students is like Rangers and Celtic!

rangers have more trophies than celtic
Reply 12
There are massive misconceptions IMO about computer science. If I had known about it earlier I may have chosen it as a career path but alas Economics is my true calling. I was brought up to believe it was a poor paying career and not as presitigious or lucrative as Economics and Medicine. Oh how I was wrong.
I'm doing a computer science course in royal holloway, well a taster course ^_^, I know this was sorta irrelevant to the thread... Sorry >.<

Edit:
****er you neg reps! :O
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
This reminds me of something that happened to me a while ago.

My grandmother asked me what I had applied to study in university, so I replied 'Oh, mechanical engineering. You know, cars and such' to try and avoid going into one of those long discourses about what you actually want to study involves, which generally produces glazed looks in the eyes of your audience.

Anyway, she looks at me all sad and disappointed, calls my mum over and is like 'He was always such a SMART boy. Why are you letting him be a mechanic and fix cars instead of doing a degree? It's so disappointing'.

Damn, but engineering needs to be a restricted title.

_Kar.
Reply 15
It's because it's pretty 'new' compared to more traditional subjects. You still find most lecturers and professors have bachelors in mathematics and then did computer science later on (even some physicists actually). In fact, in my year in industry, all of the software engineers didn't have a degree in computer science or a related subject (except electronics - similar in some respects). They all did maths, physics, electronics and even astrophysics.

People tend not to divide the subject of computer science (algorithms, logics) from it's application (microsoft products). Shame really. The industry craves more home-grown talent. Though, having said that, the most successful computer scientists don't actually go university or drop out, so the argument is void.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending