The Student Room Group

Applying for a private school - HELP

I want to apply for a private school but I am not sure what would be the best way about it.
Also, would they take me in in the middle of the spring term, do I have to wait until the summer term begins, or would they take me from next year?

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You'll likely have to wait until the beginning of the term. Get in touch with your local private schools as soon as possible as changing school can be quite a lengthy process when there's fees involved. Good luck!
Reply 2
I think it all depends on the school- for instance the one I go to, the only chances to apply (for a scholarship, anyway) are for entry to years 7, 9 and 12 I believe. For normal entrance exams it may be different, however I don't know if they'd take you in the middle of the school year, more likely you'd have to wait until the start of the next school year in september? But best of luck :smile: Are you looking to apply for a scholarship, or just apply to get in normally?
Reply 3
look up the private schools in you region as in just on google will be fine. Ask one of your parent to call them up and talk to them about applying and getting you in. I am sure they will take it from their and tell you everything you need to know. Allthough they may make you repeat your AS year due to timing ect, if you tell me wher you live as in the city or town i could give you a selection of recomendations and conact info :smile: good luck
Reply 4
Original post by kat2pult
You'll likely have to wait until the beginning of the term. Get in touch with your local private schools as soon as possible as changing school can be quite a lengthy process when there's fees involved. Good luck!

Thanks a lot; I will do that. But I am a bit unsure what to tell them and who to speak to. Do I just go to the reception and say I want to apply or would I sound a bit like a joke?

Also, there might be another problem: they might be doing diferent topics from the ones I'm doing now... (ie for Further Maths they might be doing Mechanics instead of Decision?)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kayak
I think it all depends on the school- for instance the one I go to, the only chances to apply (for a scholarship, anyway) are for entry to years 7, 9 and 12 I believe. For normal entrance exams it may be different, however I don't know if they'd take you in the middle of the school year, more likely you'd have to wait until the start of the next school year in september? But best of luck :smile: Are you looking to apply for a scholarship, or just apply to get in normally?

I am not sure what the difference is?... I'm guessing just normally?
Reply 6
Original post by Mr C Back
look up the private schools in you region as in just on google will be fine. Ask one of your parent to call them up and talk to them about applying and getting you in. I am sure they will take it from their and tell you everything you need to know. Allthough they may make you repeat your AS year due to timing ect, if you tell me wher you live as in the city or town i could give you a selection of recomendations and conact info :smile: good luck

Thanks a lot. Wow, I'd hate to have to repeat the year - but as I said, you might be right, as they might be doing different modules from the ones I'm currently doing. I live in Norwich and I was considering Norwich High School for Girls. But would they accept students older than 18 in case I need to repeat the year?
Reply 7
Original post by daiana
I am not sure what the difference is?... I'm guessing just normally?

Well applying normally, as in just taking entrance exams, would be just to get a place assuming your parents are paying for you to go there. Scholarships are taken to get certain percentages of the fees deducted and are usually based on academic achievement and assisted places are ones that take your family's income into account. :smile:
Don't blame bad results on the school :angry: It's up to you how much you work.
Reply 9
Original post by soutioirsim

In some cases yes- in others not so much! At my state high school the ICT teacher quit at the beginning of term and a replacement couldn't be found, so a class of 30 A/A* predicted students were given a maths teacher as a substitute, but pretty much left to our own devices because our new teacher didn't actually teach us anything. The whole class failed, minus myself and one other student- I got a B, they got a D. So I'm going to say that one's kind of the schools fault...! I went to ICT catchup every week after school to try and get my coursework sorted with a proper teacher, and even that wasn't enough. :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by daiana
Thanks a lot. Wow, I'd hate to have to repeat the year - but as I said, you might be right, as they might be doing different modules from the ones I'm currently doing. I live in Norwich and I was considering Norwich High School for Girls. But would they accept students older than 18 in case I need to repeat the year?

http://www.norwichhigh.gdst.net/Pages/default.aspx WOW I USED TO LIVE IN NORWICH, and yes their are not many private schools so the highschool appears to be rather good. I am sure they will take you on, most independant schools do actually their is a guy in my school who is 20 :wink:, give them a call tommorow and talk to them, the very best of luck :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by daiana
Thanks a lot; I will do that. But I am a bit unsure what to tell them and who to speak to. Do I just go to the reception and say I want to apply or would I sound a bit like a joke?

Also, there might be another problem: they might be doing diferent topics from the ones I'm doing now... (ie for Further Maths they might be doing Mechanics instead of Decision?)

Call reception and explain the situation. They'll put you through to the right person you need to talk to.

As for the different syllabus, when you call up it's worth asking and getting someone in the maths department to call you back.
Reply 12
Original post by Kayak
Well applying normally, as in just taking entrance exams, would be just to get a place assuming your parents are paying for you to go there. Scholarships are taken to get certain percentages of the fees deducted and are usually based on academic achievement and assisted places are ones that take your family's income into account. :smile:

Well I'm not sure... I guess I'll have to discuss that with them?... I'm just not sure what to do in order for them to take me seriously... I'm really scared they might think I'm a joke. I mean not many people do this in the middle of the school term, right?
Reply 13
http://www.norwichhigh.gdst.net/Pages/default.aspx WOW I USED TO LIVE IN NORWICH, and yes their are not many private schools so the highschool appears to be rather good. I am sure they will take you on, most independant schools do actually their is a guy in my school who is 20 :wink:, give them a call tommorow and talk to them, the very best of luck :wink:

Yes, I was studying their website the whole day lol. Thanks a lot.
Reply 14

As the above said, you'll likely be fine being a year older.

I actually went to a GDST (Girls Day School Trust) school. You ought to be fine applying, just explain the circumstances. They will likely accept you if you have good GCSE results.
Reply 15
Original post by daiana
Well I'm not sure... I guess I'll have to discuss that with them?... I'm just not sure what to do in order for them to take me seriously... I'm really scared they might think I'm a joke. I mean not many people do this in the middle of the school term, right?

I'm pretty sure they will take you seriously- there's no reason for them not to, it's not like people phone them up saying they'd like to apply as a joke..? And I'm sure they'll have had plenty of people contact them in the middle of the term wanting to change schools, they should understand :smile:
Reply 16

Maybe... but my problem is that let's say I thought I worked hard enough... and now I'm not sure where I've gone wrong or how to improve: here is where I think private school teachers could help.
Reply 17
Original post by kat2pult
As the above said, you'll likely be fine being a year older.

I actually went to a GDST (Girls Day School Trust) school. You ought to be fine applying, just explain the circumstances. They will likely accept you if you have good GCSE results.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18

hmm depends, allthough one may be fully capible of acheiving highly, the extent to which they reach this can be somewhat dependent on the the enviroment they are in and private schools really just are a more inspirering and motivational academic enviroment to be in. Or at least this is what i have found being in both state and private schools.
Reply 19
Original post by daiana
A*A*AAAAABBBB - is that good enough?:s-smilie:

that is very very good, well done. you should be fine :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest