The Student Room Group

Can I resit an Exam more than once...

If I've already resat an exam and decide to sit it again, will my best result still be the only one that counts - do any exam boards have different policies?

This is for A levels btw

thanks
(just worried that my previous mark maybe discounted)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im sure you can, as long as its you whos willing to pay for it because the college won't.

and if you don't do as well in the resit, you're highest grade counts, so dont worry!

:smile:
Reply 2
I read this on direct gov webiste

The awarding body will count the higher mark from your two attempts.

Does that mean after you've taken the exam twice your third attempt will override the other 2 attempts in terms off the mark you get?
Reply 3
Yes you can re-sit as many times as you like for as long as the specification lasts.

And as above poster says, the highest grade counts :smile:
Reply 4
With regards to the direct gov thing, I've never heard of that policy, so I'd check with your college, but I'm pretty sure they take the highest grade you get no matter what resit it's from.
Reply 5
so hypothetically I've got a B in unit1 history for instance, I have resat the exam and got the same mark. So I decide to resit it again (3rd attempt) and get a C. Does my B grade still go as final?
Yes!
Reply 7
Original post by boboyt
I read this on direct gov webiste

The awarding body will count the higher mark from your two attempts.

Does that mean after you've taken the exam twice your third attempt will override the other 2 attempts in terms off the mark you get?

i think its just givin an example...that IF you take the exam twice then your higher grade counts...

so if you take it 3 times, your highest grade counts...

ask your tutor or someone in college to make sure! :smile:
Reply 8
Ok thanks wil check with school anyway - just panicking as exam resit deadline is tommorow (need to decide what I am doing)
Original post by Zakir
i think its just givin an example...that IF you take the exam twice then your higher grade counts...

so if you take it 3 times, your highest grade counts...

ask your tutor or someone in college to make sure! :smile:

Your third attempt overrides everything else. i.e.: first time you get a C, then you retake and get a B. Excellent, you get to keep the B. But, if you retook again and got a C then that would be your final grade.
Reply 10
Lol yes I will have to check - would be seriously pissed off if one of my A's happened to get discounted by a bad resit.
Reply 11
Original post by chickenkatsu
Your third attempt overrides everything else. i.e.: first time you get a C, then you retake and get a B. Excellent, you get to keep the B. But, if you retook again and got a C then that would be your final grade.

So by first time you mean first time you take the exam not first time you resit the exam?
Original post by boboyt
If I've already resat an exam and decide to sit it again, will my best result still be the only one that counts - do any exam boards have different policies?

This is for A levels btw

thanks
(just worried that my previous mark maybe discounted)

Im sure i heard when i was at 6th form that you could resit it as many times as you want. The highest grade counts. There was one lad who was doing the same exam as us when i was at 6th form. He was in his 3rd year at 6th form (resat a year again). That was the about the 5th time he had sat that module.
Yes and the highest grade counts towards your overall grade.

Oh my god I didn't know that!
Reply 15
Original post by Emma:-)
Im sure i heard when i was at 6th form that you could resit it as many times as you want. The highest grade counts. There was one lad who was doing the same exam as us when i was at 6th form. He was in his 3rd year at 6th form (resat a year again). That was the about the 5th time he had sat that module.

Okay, is there anything on the exam board websites that say's anything like that?
Original post by boboyt
So by first time you mean first time you take the exam not first time you resit the exam?

yes sorry should've been clearer. I mean for example if you took an exam in Jun 10 and got a C, retook and received a B for the exam in Jan 11 and then a subsequent C in Jun 11 then your grade is a C.
Reply 17
Original post by Dee Leigh
Oh my god I didn't know that!

That's what I mean!

My resit forms have to be in tomorow aswell! Descisions!
Reply 18
yes sorry should've been clearer. I mean for example if you took an exam in Jun 10 and got a C, retook and received a B for the exam in Jan 11 and then a subsequent C in Jun 11 then your grade is a C.

Is there anything on the exam boards websites that say's this?
Yeah, I think they look at the your highest achieved grade for that particular module so if you previous mark is better than your resit mark, they would take your previous mark to be your final mark.
Also, yeah you can take an exam any number of times as long as the specification for that unit remains the same.

Quick Reply

Latest