Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

part time jobs - salary

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How much do people make roughly from part time work?

Obviously, once I start Uni I will need a part time job to make ends meet; a couple of days a week in a shop or something like that. What's the going rate for this sort of thing these days? I will be in Norwich, by the way.

Any info appreciated!

Em x
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    anything over £6ph is a win imo.

NMW=£4.92 ph for workers aged 18-20
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. I need to make £600 per month! Starting to worry I'll be having to do an awful lot of shelf stacking :/
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emelle)
    Thanks for the info. I need to make £600 per month! Starting to worry I'll be having to do an awful lot of shelf stacking :/
    That's an awful lot to have to raise each month whilst studying for a degree. Why so much, if you pardon my asking?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It will be tough but if you can get a job for£6.50 ph and do three shifts a week then that should bring in over £600 a month.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    That's an awful lot to have to raise each month whilst studying for a degree. Why so much, if you pardon my asking?
    I live an hour away from my uni, so will be spending at least £300-400 per month on petrol, plus running costs. My loan and grant will all go on my expenses - I rent a house with partner and have all the usual "grown up" expenses and bills to pay.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    primark- £6.30 an hour when im 18
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hello
    can a student have two or three jobs at a time(part time jobs):confused:
    trying to be a hard worker here
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidey cobwebson)
    hello
    can a student have two or three jobs at a time(part time jobs):confused:
    trying to be a hard worker here
    Yes. But your location says Pakistan, please don't come to the UK to work more than your maximum 20 hours, neglect your studies and then end up on UK Border Force.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year, working 20 hours a week (studying for some extra AS exams) and i'm on £7.68 per hour at my job in retail, which will rise after my review/probation.

Jobs in London, especially West End/Westfield (White City) pay nicely.

For me anything over £7 is a win.

But yeah as everyone said it can very from like £4 something to £7+ just depends where you apply and what location.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're going to have to be working an awful lot to earn £600 a month. 25 hours a week if you're on £6 an hour. I'm personally on £6.15, and earn ~£300 a month from 14 hours a week (don't get paid breaks, which with some places you need to take into account). Is there not a cheaper way for you travel into uni like bus or train?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some phone companies pay on comission. I have a friend who gets paid > £6 per hour but usually earns quite a bit on comission working for Orange. That could be a way of not having to work as many hours I guess but you need to be good at your job!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i work 2 nights a week (fri + sat) at sainsburys and earn £7.83 an hour, i get about £600 a month after tax so i'd look into it... i work 2 10 hour shifts
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Obviously, once I start Uni I will need a part time job to make ends meet; a couple of days a week in a shop or something like that. What's the going rate for this sort of thing these days? I will be in Norwich, by the way.

Any info appreciated!

Em x
    I make £5.50 per hour, generally do between 12 and 16 hours per week. I used to do more but everyone's hours got cut back :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronda)
    You're going to have to be working an awful lot to earn £600 a month. 25 hours a week if you're on £6 an hour. I'm personally on £6.15, and earn ~£300 a month from 14 hours a week (don't get paid breaks, which with some places you need to take into account). Is there not a cheaper way for you travel into uni like bus or train?
    No, I live 40 miles away and there is no public transport

Thanks for your input everyone
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Yes. But your location says Pakistan, please don't come to the UK to work more than your maximum 20 hours, neglect your studies and then end up on UK Border Force.
    You got me wrong bro.yes i am from pakistan,but i will never neglect or ditch my study ever,I got my whole career based on ma studies.For your info i would need atleast two jobs to cover my study expenses and such.
    I dont wanna overwhelm my dream of being a good writer.I can write pretty well,stories,lyrics,poems etc
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

Any info appreciated!

Em x
    i earn £6.37 an hour i work for a supermarket chain part time
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I make about ~£320 a month from 12 hours work a week - it's pretty good, but now that uni's on break I could do with a few more hours! It's a good rate (£6.70 ph, I'm 19) but I lose a lot of it through travel.
    Make sure it's worth it because it's pretty tiring on top of uni!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For £600 a month on £6 an hour, you'll need to work 100 hours per month, so about 23 hours per week. Most uni's recommend you work a maximum of 15 hours per week, and thats for students who don't have to travel 2 hours per day.

You are seriously going to struggle, can you not move closer to uni?

Oh and in answer to the original post, I make £560 a month from 14 hours per week. Sometimes more if I do overtime.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    £4.92 :facepalm2:

(Original post by lazy smurf)
    For £600 a month on £6 an hour, you'll need to work 100 hours per month, so about 23 hours per week. Most uni's recommend you work a maximum of 15 hours per week, and thats for students who don't have to travel 2 hours per day.

You are seriously going to struggle, can you not move closer to uni?

Oh and in answer to the original post, I make £560 a month from 14 hours per week. Sometimes more if I do overtime.
    You make £10 per hour?!! :eek:

Where on earth do you work?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2011
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.