The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
e.g. if your car starts swerving to the right you should steer to the right i think rather than instinctively steering to the left which is apparently what you'd want to do. I think thats right!
well in a normal car advice would be not to use the brakes and use the engine breaking but i dont know how you would do that in an automatic
Obvioulsy brake as soon as possible. Apply the brakes gently at first to avoid skidding.

Edit: If you skid to the right and steer to the right it's going to increase the skid. In this instance steer to the left to get the car back central.
Reply 4
It's whichever way the back end starts to go. If it starts to skid right then steer right.
Juno
It's whichever way the back end starts to go. If it starts to skid right then steer right.

That's the one.
Don't drive unless you need to...best advise for driving in such conditions. If you do, all normal aspects of driving are key, speed and control. You can learn all the theory but sadly you might not apply it.

Major tip is to keep a very large distance between yourself and the car infront, if the car behind you doesn't agree, pull in or increase your distance yet further with the car infront. Whether or not you have ABS again affects braking technique massively.

Infact, this site will probably list everything I would and more:

http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/drivingtips/snowice.html

The only way to learn is to practise but sadly that itself isn't a good idea!
Reply 7
If you do hit ice, let the car go where its going to go. Even if you try to correct the overtseer you'll probably spin the car
be careful. give plenty time for brakin, avoid slammin the brakes on. if you skid, stear into it. drive at a safe speed. make sure there is a large gap between you and the person ahead
Reply 9
gently gently apply the brakes. Don't drive around with the radio on (loudly) because you need to hear the road noises, it will help you know when the car is sliding. If you know that you're sliding forward (not swerving) then let off the brakes and gently reapply until you're slowing down without sliding.

If the rearend starts to slide out. Don't touch the brakes unless the car is pointed forward otherwise the rear brakes lock first and you won't be able to catch it. Like the others said, immediately turn the wheel left if the rear end slides left. The amount you turn the wheel will depend on how quickly and far the rearend comes out. If you know there is definately ice on the road you're driving on, just crawl along in first gear very slowly like you're waiting for a parking place in a car park. If the rearend swings out at these speeds, you should easily be able to catch it by counter steering.

If you're able, find a deserted snowy/icy car park and practice far away from any potential obstacles. Purposely force the rearend out by turning the wheel sharply and hitting the brakes. And practice re-gaining control of the vehicle. But you should still take caution and be very careful. You shouldn't drive over 10mph max on ice. You should be able to re-gain control at these speeds.

If you have ABS, you're at a huge advantage.

Another option is weather chains or snow tyres. These will provide good traction in the snow/ice.
Reply 10
thanks everyone, don't want to spin across the A14, squirting urine.
Reply 11
michellehall
well in a normal car advice would be not to use the brakes and use the engine breaking but i dont know how you would do that in an automatic
Take your foot off the gas pedal, the engine automatically switches down to a lower gear at the right RPM....

*I would advice drive as slow as you can to keep control of the car; and as other people have said, Brake gently and early and AVOID slamming on the breaks...*

The issue of skidding has already been spoken about correctly
Reply 12
Yeah, or if the car has it select gear 2

I really wouldn't want to drive an auto in winter. Mainly because of the auto change down thing when you let off the gas
Driving an auto isn't that bad in the winter. You're less likely to spin the tyre when starting on ice. And the transmission changes down only if the engine speed is low enough, usually at around idle speed. So you will hardly notice it downshifting.

If you're driving on ice, keep the selector on L or 1 or 2 or whatever is the lowest position, basically all the way down; not OD or D or whatever you usually drive in. And keep you speed very low. This will enable you to engine brake.
Also there may be a snowflake button somewhere if it's an auto which is the same higher gearing option.
Reply 15
Driving on ice is like playing russian roulette.
Even I span my car a couple of times and you can't do one thing to stop it, such as move your wheel because that sure as hell makes things worse!

Oh - snows no better. I once had a finish guy test drive my car on view to purchasing it in the snow. I told him to slow down, to which he replied 'its ok I'm Finnish'. He took the very first corner and we ended up head first in a police van outside a police station in London (not telling you where as we all did the off).

For an automatic car, the best advice would be to take your foot off the pedal and gently apply the breaks. Do not steer it unless you really have to.
You will also need to apply this method to aqua-plaining as that can also be very dodgy. I have been hit 3 times by that and come off OK. But Ice and snow has got the better of me in the last few years driving.
Absolute caution is fundamental and if the ground is badly snowed under and shows no signs of melting whilst you are out and about, it might be worth changing your car tyre to a space saver tyre. This is due to the size of the tyre. The smaller the tyre the more control you have in snow. The bigger the tyre means bigger Ice Skates!
Reply 16
When you're breaking I have been told to put the breaks on (hard) and then release them and then apply the breaks again whilst steering into the skid. Don't just keep them on and skid otherwise you could end up spinning.
Everyone will have their own technique for coping with it, it just takes practice...

One thing's for damn sure - it'll be a hell of a lot scarier for your passengers than it will for you if you do get into a skid.
Reply 18
i don't think you really have to worry about snow chains / driving in snow in the UK, unless we have an EXCEPTIONALY cold winter.

Something that you are fairly likely to run into is icy roads, pretty much everything has been mentioned.

Also beware of "black ice". Not much you can do about this as you can't see it - if the temperatures are below zero then be aware of it, especially round corners and in the countryside. Best way not to be in an accident is keep your speed low.
Reply 19
Zakatu
i don't think you really have to worry about snow chains / driving in snow in the UK, unless we have an EXCEPTIONALY cold winter.

Not true. Virtually every year I've been driving, it has snowed!
Normally snows around February, March though.

Snow is far worse than Ice, believe me.
3 years ago the whole country came to a standstill. I was 5 miles from home (at work), left there at 5pm and didn't get home until 11pm.

Also see my post regarding that bloody finnish driver!

Then we have me spinning on it as well. Snow is far worse than ice. Ice doesn't come in bulk, snow does. The only ice you should be wary of is Black ice and on roads (especially in metropolitan areas) is few and far between.

Latest

Trending

Trending