The Student Room Group

Do you take GCSEs in addition to A-levels?

I'm currently doing 9.5 GCSEs but I'm not sure if this is enough as everyone seems to be doing as much as 14 and getting straight A*s. So I was wondering if anybody takes additional GCSEs along with their A-levels, such as Statistics. I plan to take Maths & Stats for A-level next year so it could come in handy... Opinions?
Reply 1
Why take a GCSE in Stats if your doing it at A level? I wouldn't if i was you, its pointless
Reply 2
GCSE's basically become redundant once you have A levels (given you have A in english and maths and such).
Dunno why your doing less than people nyou know.. but different schools do different amounts and sometimes different subjects can change it.. but it doesnt matter much.
Get an A / A* in science english and maths and nothing will matter.
That is.. if your an A student, if not, get a C, you need atleast C's :tongue:
Reply 3
As long as you do at least about 8 GCSEs and do really well, it makes little difference if you do 10 or 25, as long as they're good subjects for Uni, ie. not Leisure and Tourism/PE.

I agree with petoid12 in saying doing GCSE stats would be pointless though, especially as it's supposed to be very very easy.
Reply 4
Original post by Nayred
I'm currently doing 9.5 GCSEs but I'm not sure if this is enough as everyone seems to be doing as much as 14 and getting straight A*s.

:lolwut: Who do you know? It's pretty rare to get straight A*s; everyone has their off days. It's also a lot harder the more GCSEs you take. I would imagine that very few people get 14 A* at GCSE - the most I've ever met anyone with is 12 (although this being TSR, I'm sure someone will beat this :awesome:) Point is, you needn't worry that having 9.5 GCSEs will disadvantage you at all.

So I was wondering if anybody takes additional GCSEs along with their A-levels, such as Statistics. I plan to take Maths & Stats for A-level next year so it could come in handy... Opinions?

Out of interest, why have you gone for Maths & Stats as opposed to straight maths with some stats modules included? I've actually never heard of maths & stats, and while this may be a school/exam board/region thing, I'd be tempted to advise you going for maths as it's more well-known and commonly taken; you can still include statistics modules, and S1 is pretty much identical to GCSE Statistics.
Reply 5
Original post by kerily
:lolwut: Who do you know? It's pretty rare to get straight A*s; everyone has their off days. It's also a lot harder the more GCSEs you take. I would imagine that very few people get 14 A* at GCSE - the most I've ever met anyone with is 12 (although this being TSR, I'm sure someone will beat this :awesome:) Point is, you needn't worry that having 9.5 GCSEs will disadvantage you at all.

Out of interest, why have you gone for Maths & Stats as opposed to straight maths with some stats modules included? I've actually never heard of maths & stats, and while this may be a school/exam board/region thing, I'd be tempted to advise you going for maths as it's more well-known and commonly taken; you can still include statistics modules, and S1 is pretty much identical to GCSE Statistics.

I thought that's what everyone took when they picked Maths A-level: Maths & Statistics OR Mechanics.
Reply 6
Original post by Nayred
I thought that's what everyone took when they picked Maths A-level: Maths & Statistics OR Mechanics.

I've never heard of either of those in my life. Do you mean choosing either to take statistics or mechanics modules within the regular maths a-level? Because the whole thing is called maths either way :tongue:
I think you mean that you have statistics and mechanics in the A level maths course, because i'm currently doing AS maths and they are some of the units that we do/ will be doing.

Quick Reply

Latest