The Student Room Group

Is it worth it at my grand old age?

For medical reasons I won't go into, I may be leaving my current employment soon.

At 37 am I too old to retrain as an engineer? Money is not an issue, but whilst I could practically get on a degree course, am I too old to be able to utilise the qualification?

Thanks,
RTosh

Scroll to see replies

It's a question i've asked myself several times as i'm only a couple of years younger than you. In all fairness, i'm sure that i'm going to run into some issues with my age and my chosen career path, but i'd rather give it a go than not.

Plus, with the way things are going, retirement age will probably be 75 in the not too distanct future anyway (wish i was joking there!), so it's not as though you wont have long enough to build a new career after your degree.
Reply 2
It's not at all uncommon for people to have mid-life career changes these days. While in a completely unrelated area, I started retraining to be a dietitian from a background of graphic design. There are lots of advantages to retraining at our age (I'm 37 now). Mature students often work very hard at university and 'life experience', as they call, is a good selling point to prospective employers. Age discrimination laws help too - as I believe you don't have to state your date of birth on CVs anymore.

If you don't give it a go you may always be left wondering 'what if?'. Good luck x
you're never too old. I know someone starting a PhD in her sixties! If it's what you want to do, go for it! :smile:
Reply 4
I'm nearly 37 and hoping to embark on an access course followed by a four year degree and a year of training.

Often people (like the general public) will assume an older person has been qualified longer and has more experience, I've seen people ask to speak to a pre-reg pharmacist in his thirties over a qualified pharmacist in his twenties. I'm not sure if this applies to engineering in anyway. I guess the sensible thing to to sus out the job situation, speak to potential employers and try to ask people who already follow the career you are hoping to.
I was 29 when I started my Actuarial Science degree. Before this I was a chef for 6 years. Like a previous poster mentioned, you'll probably have a good 30 years of work ahead of you, so plenty of time to carve out a career. Also with an engineering degree, the career possibilities are numerous so I don't think you'd struggle to get work.

Go for it and good luck.:smile:
Reply 6
I'm 38 next month, currently studying Media and International Development at UEA. In my view it's definitely worth it. You will be around like-minded individuals, get to know a whole new group of people (many of a similar age to yourself), and there's the sense of intellectual satisfaction which comes with learning a new skill.

As others have said, you have years of working life still ahead of you - you're not over the hill yet. So if you're interested in a change of career, go for it.
Reply 7
No one is ever too old to learn. It begins from birth, and ends at death. So definitely go for it!
You guys is olds. What you be doin' on a student forum full of aggressive clueless teenage virgins?
Reply 9
im sure your not to old i went for a access course interview the other day to go to uni next year the oldest person accepted on the access course is in there 50's :eek: so im sure you will be fine
Nursing homes have internet access now. Cool.

Go ahead OP. The fact is, you care about this issue enough to have made this thread. Going by that, it'll be playing around in your head quite often. That will remain so whether people here tell you to try it or not; and how will you ever put your mind to rest except for getting out there and giving it a go?

It doesn't matter if you're too old or not. You'll be restless until you do it, so do it! Now!
Reply 11
Ha, ha you're 37, ha ha you're too old! I'm kidding, I'm proud of your passion to learn, go for it :smile:. You'll do well, I believe in you.
Reply 12
OP: what specific branch of engineering are you interested in? I'm asking, as my partner's an engineer and I may be able to offer you advice from him. In terms of going back to study; there's no reason why your age should hold you back.
as a student at the Open University I've come across so many people aged 30+ who are working towards a degree. It's not uncommon!
Reply 14
Presuming you started uni next year, you'd graduate at around 41 years old. That still gives you at least 25+ years using your degree.

Id say go for it.
Original post by TheRealDarthVader
You guys is olds. What you be doin' on a student forum full of aggressive clueless teenage virgins?

The answer to that is simple. We are giving the place some class, style and common sense :biggrin:

On the serious side of things, life-long education is a definite winner on a CV these days. It shows that you're flexible & still have the ability - and drive - to knuckle down and work hard to better yourself.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by espada00
No one is ever too old to learn. It begins from birth, and ends at death. So definitely go for it!

QFT
Reply 17
You are never too old to expand your mind and learn new things that interest you so go for it!
you are only too old if you think you are
Reply 19
Original post by RTosh1
For medical reasons I won't go into, I may be leaving my current employment soon.

At 37 am I too old to retrain as an engineer? Money is not an issue, but whilst I could practically get on a degree course, am I too old to be able to utilise the qualification?

Thanks,
RTosh

My dad retrained as a systems engineer when he was about your age :smile: he did an OU course and 7 years later is making decent money from it. Go for it if it's what you want!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending