The Student Room Group

Need help with UNI decisions !!

hey! I am currently on a gap year because i didn't know what i was good at or wanted to do!
I completed 3 A levels.. Business Studies grade (B), Sociology grade (C) and Leisure Studies grade (D).
So i finally applied to UNI for 5 courses across northern Ireland in courses i thought i wanted to do at the time. They were Advertising (with Psychology), Business Studies, Sociology (with Criminology), Business (with Advertising) and Communication (with advertising).

But the problem is I've recently realised that I love maths and so want to do engineering (preferably mechanical) but my school didn't offer it at A level so i didn't do it and being young and immature after gcse's i didn't think of going to another school to do maths/physics!

Furthermore i've used all 5 choices through UCAS and so i dont think i have the subjects/grades to get into a Uni to do mechanical engineering :frown:. I am willing to move across the seas'. Does anyone know if i have any options or further opportunities which i could take?? help would greatly be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Enquire at some of the uni's who offer the course you want to do whether or not they would accept your current A Level. Could be likely that they ask for A Level maths though which you could always do over a year or so? (I think, I'm no expert on A Levels at all).
Reply 2
I was thinking about doing that but a family member of mine stated that it would maybe be best to do an HND in mechanical engineering or similar rather than doing more A Levels?

Furthermore i discovered that Northumbria University offer a foundation year for mechanical engineering requiring no A Levels maths or physics but just merely 200 UCAS points. However i think it may be too late as i'va already used up all 5 of my choices. I think i will give them a ring just to make sure.
Reply 3
There's a few options. As someone said, you could go back and try for the A Level maths. It is one of the more difficult A Levels though, I guess it'd depend on how well maths comes to you? Or you could try the 2 year HND at Belfast Met, which would let you pass into year 2 of a degree in the same area. Im not sure what the entry requirements are though to start the HND... you'd probably have to sit an interview. My brother done the same thing for electrical engineering... done the HND and hes now 3rd year at J/Town. So it is a very plausible route to take.

If mechanical engineering is what you really want to do, then go for it. Don't be starting another course just for the sake of going to uni, and ending up dropping out 'cause your heart wasnt in it. I done that... such a waste of time and money.
Reply 4
I completely agree with you. I've found out there is a foundation degree in mechanical engineering route at Queens University, so i'm am trying to see if i will be applicable for that. I will also apply for a few hnds' as i am interested in doing all types of engineering anyways:smile: thanks very much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending