The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RosyAurora

Is this the new thread? *creeps in from behind the curtain* ALL HAIL NEW THREAD!

Aaaanyway, I'm going to take a module outside of Classics next year -before you all burn me at the stake, or perhaps more aptly BURY ME ALIVE... well not technically apt, since I am not a guardian of any flame as far as I'm aware... I digress...

French, Italian or something else?

My French is A-Level + standard; my Italian is beginners' but I have many languages under the proverbial belt!

Also on a helpful-ish note, I'm doing two separate modules on Suetonius. WOO!

I so want to rep you for that geeky remark, but it won't let me :sad:
Bump
The thread isn't one of the official Classics society ones apparently, since it can't be managed via the thingy that Smith, I and the other deputies have. Is there anyway to get that moved do you think?
Original post by The Lyceum

The thread isn't one of the official Classics society ones apparently, since it can't be managed via the thingy that Smith, I and the other deputies have. Is there anyway to get that moved do you think?

Done :h:

It's under thread tools at the top of this page.
Original post by steffi.alexa
Done :h:

It's under thread tools at the top of this page.

Ha cheers.
Ha cheers.

Ha, you are not so good for a deputy leader, are you?
Reply 26
*sigh* no one helped me in my languages issueeee how will I knooowww I can't think for myself... :frown:

Also Exeter is mean, only a week to choose modules?!

I'm choosing Roman Religion and Writing Women in Ancient Literature, although first I have to find out why the Greek module I HAVE to take isn't available... Thank god Matthew Wright is my personal tutor, he's like SUPERMAN. But Latin. So... optimus homo?? Sounds too much like a transformer...
tacitus, suetonius, cassius dio, pliny, josephus-
REALLY unsure where to go with the argument though
Sejanus as the real bad guy has been done to death, but do I drive it even further into the grave?
Reply 28
Whats all this change? harrumph.
Hey just briefly mentioning trajan in my essay on tiberius, was pliny the only contemporary source? Why is he considered better than the contemporary source that talked about tiberius, both are just full of praise...
Original post by lizfairy
Hey just briefly mentioning trajan in my essay on tiberius, was pliny the only contemporary source? Why is he considered better than the contemporary source that talked about tiberius, both are just full of praise...

here, a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velleius_Paterculus
(edited 13 years ago)

Thanks, but this wasn't my question.
Was Pliny the younger the only contemporary writer of Trajan?
Original post by lizfairy
Thanks, but this wasn't my question.
Was Pliny the younger the only contemporary writer of Trajan?

Wait what does Trajan have to do with it? I thought you wanted a contemporeous author with Tiberius?

And define writer, do you mean just as a historian? In general we do have other authors, Juvenal, Martial, Tacitus, Suetonius etc as well as a lot of sadly non extant works.
*sigh* no one helped me in my languages issueeee how will I knooowww I can't think for myself...

Also Exeter is mean, only a week to choose modules?!

I'm choosing Roman Religion and Writing Women in Ancient Literature, although first I have to find out why the Greek module I HAVE to take isn't available... Thank god Matthew Wright is my personal tutor, he's like SUPERMAN. But Latin. So... optimus homo?? Sounds too much like a transformer...
So what did you choose (assuming that you already have)? I can't make decisions for myself, so I won't even try to make them for you!

Superhomo sounds fairly decent Latin for 'superman' (after all, the homines optimi were the Roman senators, at least in Cicero's eyes). Since the concept comes from Nietzsche's übermensch and über is a German preposition just like Latin super (used as an English prefix by yuppies, of course). However, I just typed homines optimi into Google and someone had used that for übermenschen in a translation of Neitzsche's Ecce Homo, so, as is my tendency, I'm probably spouting a lot of nonsense. I have realised, via Urban Dictionary, that superhomo has its own, not so nice, meaning in English though, so no, don't call him that!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Chosen my modules for next year :woo:. I have also realised im going to have only 2 hours of lectures a week in my first term because I'm doing advanced fieldwork, aerial survey and a work placement, all of which are assessed on practical skills and a report.

No idea on the (compulsary) dissertation front though, hrrm..
Reply 35
Original post by jismith1989
So what did you choose (assuming that you already have)? I can't make decisions for myself, so I won't even try to make them for you!

Superhomo sounds fairly decent Latin for 'superman' (after all, the homines optimi were the Roman senators, at least in Cicero's eyes). Since the concept comes from Nietzsche's übermensch and über is a German preposition just like Latin super (used as an English prefix by yuppies, of course). However, I just typed homines optimi into Google and someone had used that for übermenschen in a translation of Neitzsche's Ecce Homo, so, as is my tendency, I'm probably spouting a lot of nonsense. I have realised, via Urban Dictionary, that superhomo has its own, not so nice, meaning in English though, so no, don't call him that!

Haha, Urban Dictionary is so interesting. My friends created an entry which I am an example for, but I'm never telling what it is.

I haven't chosen yet, but I have 5 days :eek: Fast-track Italian maybe?
I'm never telling what it is.

Haha, that's what you think! :poke:
Haha, Urban Dictionary is so interesting. My friends created an entry which I am an example for, but I'm never telling what it is.

I haven't chosen yet, but I have 5 days :eek: Fast-track Italian maybe?

Well what do you want the language for? if it's for academic purposes, French or German are pretty solid for Classics. Italian isn't overly useful unless you want to delve into Hellenistic Literature, though its very easy to pick up.

If its a "just cause" thing then choose whichever you most feel like. :tongue:
Reply 38
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Haha, that's what you think! :poke:

Eeeeep I have had enough of creepy stalkers, I'm going to hide in a hole... :ninja:

Well what do you want the language for? if it's for academic purposes, French or German are pretty solid for Classics. Italian isn't overly useful unless you want to delve into Hellenistic Literature, though its very easy to pick up.

If its a "just cause" thing then choose whichever you most feel like. :tongue:

Ahh well if I'm honest, it's:
a) because I don't like enough of the Classics modules
b) I want something a bit easier
c) I like languages
d) I've done French before/I've always wanted to learn Italian

I don't really want to delve into Hellenistic Literature though :frown:
Eeeeep I have had enough of creepy stalkers, I'm going to hide in a hole... :ninja:

Ahh well if I'm honest, it's:
a) because I don't like enough of the Classics modules
b) I want something a bit easier
c) I like languages
d) I've done French before/I've always wanted to learn Italian

I don't really want to delve into Hellenistic Literature though :frown:

Italian is amazing! I absolutely adored learning it (I am still learning, but I've given up for a bit because I need to polish -well, learn better- my Latin for next year (yeah, I applied for a Masters in Latin but my Latin is not really that good :frown: Ah well, time to fix it!)
I suggest it without a doubt. It's fairly easy (definitely easier than French),it has A LOT in common vocabulary wise with english and french and it is beautiful!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending