The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
How come I never joined this thread... I seriously wonder :tongue:
Reply 41
Original post by Xristina
Italian is amazing! I absolutely adored learning it (I am still learning, but I've given up for a bit because I need to polish -well, learn better- my Latin for next year (yeah, I applied for a Masters in Latin but my Latin is not really that good :frown: Ah well, time to fix it!)
I suggest it without a doubt. It's fairly easy (definitely easier than French),it has A LOT in common vocabulary wise with english and french and it is beautiful!!

Yay! You have made me feel excited about taking it!

Just one question - fast-track or not?
Roman prostitution... Five minutes is not enough to discuss it.
Original post by RosyAurora
Yay! You have made me feel excited about taking it!

Just one question - fast-track or not?

Why not fast track? It's an easy language, you might have to study a bit more, but it won't be impossible and you ll get fluency in a new language by the end of the year. I am so jealous of you. I miss it :frown:
Original post by RosyAurora
Eeeeep I have had enough of creepy stalkers, I'm going to hide in a hole... :ninja:

:O

I think it's my turn to hide in a hole out of sheer embarrassment.
Big apologies for causing you whatever emotions were caused.
But I really, really am no stalker or anything :O

Anyways, I think it's time I upped sticks and kicked myself out of this fine establishment: in fact, I've no idea why I've stayed here this long.

Lovely knowing most of you, however little I did, and I hope that all of your classics-related interests continue to interest you for many more interesting years yet.

placenta medicae talpae
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
Could someone elaborate on Roman prostitution? I have to do a whole Ovid past paper in an hour now... I HATE Ovid....
Original post by Planar

Original post by Planar
Could someone elaborate on Roman prostitution? I have to do a whole Ovid past paper in an hour now... I HATE Ovid....

It's too depressing. I've ODed on it.
Reply 47
Original post by steffi.alexa
It's too depressing. I've ODed on it.

I'd rather overdose on the history of prostitution than Ovid
Original post by Sappho
How come I never joined this thread... I seriously wonder :tongue:
Yes, you've missed so, so much. :cool:

Roman prostitution... Five minutes is not enough to discuss it.
If they want more, they can pay for it. I think that's how the lupae did it. :hubba:

Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Anyways, I think it's time I upped sticks and kicked myself out of this fine establishment: in fact, I've no idea why I've stayed here this long.

Lovely knowing most of you, however little I did, and I hope that all of your classics-related interests continue to interest you for many more interesting years yet.

placenta medicae talpae
Ah, what a shame. It's like when Mary Poppins gets on her umberella and scoots off into the troposphere. We'll remember you, Mary! Erm, Placenta.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Planar

Go away. Ovid is awesome. He ll be my dissertation next year!
Original post by Planar

:no:

Original post by jismith1989
If they want more, they can pay for it. I think that's how the lupae did it. :hubba:

:nothing:

Have an interesting lecture in an hour, then need to do essay reading on some guy whose name begins with a C and has and L in it I think... Catiline! Him! Yes, I'm clearly the model classicist...
Reply 52
Have an interesting lecture in an hour, then need to do essay reading on some guy whose name begins with a C and has and L in it I think... Catiline! Him! Yes, I'm clearly the model classicist...

You Catiline! :wink:

He isn't that uninteresting actually, and his "conspiracy" is a nice topic, too. :yes:
Original post by Sappho

Original post by Sappho
You Catiline! :wink:

He isn't that uninteresting actually, and his "conspiracy" is a nice topic, too. :yes:

Yeah that's what the essay's on. I'm studying far too many people with names beginning with C: Catiline, Catullus, Caligula, Caesar... Silly Romans.
Reply 54
Yeah that's what the essay's on. I'm studying far too many people with names beginning with C: Catiline, Catullus, Caligula, Caesar... Silly Romans.

Have some Sallust then, he's so lovely and rather helpful for Catiline :love:

Oh, and his name does not start with a C :tongue:
Reply 55
Go away. Ovid is awesome. He ll be my dissertation next year!

Cicero is way better, because he's such an awful propagandist, I bet Goebbels is cringing in his grave.
Original post by Planar
Cicero is way better, because he's such an awful propagandist, I bet Goebbels is cringing in his grave.

You can't compare Cicero with ovid, that's like comparing broccoli with ice cream ie. They are completely different (and one is way better:colone:)
Reply 57
You can't compare Cicero with ovid, that's like comparing broccoli with ice cream ie. They are completely different (and one is way better:colone:)

Clearly ice cream pie is Cicero. Nothing quite like watching PMQs and imagining Ed Miliband hoisting up his red flag and saying, "o tempora, o mores!"
Original post by Planar
Clearly ice cream pie is Cicero. Nothing quite like watching PMQs and imagining Ed Miliband hoisting up his red flag and saying, "o tempora, o mores!"
Mr. Miliband is perhaps not far from the least Ciceronic figure in British politics (and the flag too, so the bastardisation of the hymn goes at least, is palest pink). :biggrin:

But surely more of a comparison could be made with Catiline (even a negative one, if that's your propensity). Although all comparisons are, of course, pretty tenuous given the societal and other such differences (and, indeed, paucity of reliable evidence as regards the ancient figures and surrounding events).

I'm afraid to say that I side with whatever foodstuff Ovid is. The Metamorphoses are amazing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by jismith1989
Mr. Miliband is perhaps not far from the least Ciceronic figure in British politics (and the flag too, so the bastardisation of the hymn goes at least, is palest pink). :biggrin:

But surely more of a comparison could be made with Catiline (even a negative one, if that's your propensity). Although all comparisons are, of course, pretty tenuous given the societal and other such differences (and, indeed, paucity of reliable evidence as regards the ancient figures and surrounding events).

I'm afraid to say that I side with whatever foodstuff Ovid is. The Metamorphoses are amazing.

Sorry but who is that Mr. Miliband? (too lazy to google)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending