The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Sappho
Now look at this, this is how learning about politics is fun: http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardus_Miliband

Am I the only one who knew not of the existence of a LATIN WIKIPEDIA?!

Goodbye, free time.
Reply 81
Original post by RosyAurora
Am I the only one who knew not of the existence of a LATIN WIKIPEDIA?!

Goodbye, free time.

It's so good fun, if you've nothing to do, you can look for articles that don't exist and write something :biggrin:
Original post by Sappho
Now look at this, this is how learning about politics is fun: http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardus_Miliband
Yeah, the Latin Wikipedia is fun. It's a shame that there don't seem to be many articles that aren't very short though: even the pages on Londinium (London), Lutetia (Paris), Berolinum (Berlin) and Matritum (Madrid), for example, aren't particularly in-depth (though Berolinum has the largest of the four). But it's definitely a fun way to learn. I might add to the Universitas Mancuniensis page sometime.

Original post by Planar
I agree that he is more similar to Catiline, but I was just picking the melodrama and absurdity that Cicero sometimes engages in, and showing that that is a bit like Ed Miliband. The moron
Haha. Erm, always happy to be your soapbox. :tongue:

EDIT: But I do agree that his recent comparison of the TUC march with the Suffragette movement and other such "glorious struggles" was probably a little emetic, or at least arrogant!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jismith1989
Yeah, the Latin Wikipedia is fun. It's a shame that there don't seem to be many articles that aren't very short though: even the pages on Londinium (London), Lutetia (Paris), Berolinum (Berlin) and Matritum (Madrid), for example, aren't particularly in-depth (though Berolinum has the largest of the four). But it's definitely a fun way to learn. I might add to the Universitas Mancuniensis page sometime.

Haha. Erm, always happy to be your soapbox. :tongue:

I too have thought of adding, I'm also part of another thing discussing scholia, grammar, syntaxis etc in ancient Greek though I haven't even looked at it in some while.

Although as I'm sure you know, third year hardly gives one much free time. Even now my dissertation is pulling on the halter, so to speak. :tongue:
http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenae

Yei, it has Athens :biggrin: and a picture of the building I took my degree in :biggrin:
Bloody Germans.
Okay, I've already given up attempting to read that German book
hahahaha that made me laugh!! What is the book about? :tongue:
Original post by Xristina

hahahaha that made me laugh!! What is the book about? :tongue:

Cicero and Caesar and Catiline, only it's one of those annoying ones without a bloody index so I had to read loads to try and get anything. I'll try again tomorrow morning :sigh:
Less xenophobia please! :p: I'm sure you'll be much better at tackling it in the morning, Steffi. If it's really tough to understand, I'm sure you can find something equally useful in English though.

http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenae

Yei, it has Athens :biggrin: and a picture of the building I took my degree in :biggrin:
Looks like a beautiful place!

Less xenophobia please! :p: I'm sure you'll be much better at tackling it in the morning, Steffi. If it's really tough to understand, I'm sure you can find something equally useful in English though.

Hopefully, though it's not as useful as something other things anyway. It's no key piece by any stretch.

And as the essay is due in on Monday, everything left is German (with a tiny bit of French).
Thank god for perseus!
Reply 92
Original post by Sappho
It's so good fun, if you've nothing to do, you can look for articles that don't exist and write something :biggrin:

As much as I'd love to, my skill is lacking :frown:
Still not over the fact that they've gotten rid of one of the classics forums...
Reply 94
Original post by steffi.alexa
Still not over the fact that they've gotten rid of one of the classics forums...

We should complain to someone. Do you have an idea whom we could ask?
Original post by Sappho

Original post by Sappho
We should complain to someone. Do you have an idea whom we could ask?

We could post in AAM or About TSR, not really sure. No doubt we'd get the response of 'Well, it's not used'. We should try and liven up this forum to add to our cause :sparta:
Meh it's symptomatic of society, ah well.
Oh daaaamn. The Classics forum is on the front page. Oh yeah :cool:

Nothing to do with the time, of course :ninja:
Original post by The Lyceum
Meh it's symptomatic of society, ah well.

I know :angry: Makes me mad.
Oh man, two classics threads on the front page. Vidi, vici, veni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending