The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by *Corinna*
no actually, if I don't go for a PhD next year (which might happen :frown: ) I might be in Athens.

That is mean, now I don't know what option to hope for any more :tongue:
Original post by The Lyceum
lemmata

A brilliant, mathsy word.
My coursemates don't understand why one would want to this plural form (same with 'axiomata'), but we know the real reason ...

Spoiler

Original post by Sappho
That is mean, now I don't know what option to hope for any more :tongue:

please hope for me to do a PhD :frown: We can meet elsewhere :frown:
Reply 1603
Original post by *Corinna*
please hope for me to do a PhD :frown: We can meet elsewhere :frown:

Haha, you know that was a joke my dear, don't you? I want you to supervise my PhD, so hang in there :wink:
Original post by Sappho
Haha, you know that was a joke my dear, don't you? I want you to supervise my PhD, so hang in there :wink:

ahahahaha that would be awesome :tongue:
Original post by Sappho
I shall consult it, cheers!

Are you definitely in Germany when I'm in Athens now?

Also: The doooog :woo:

And time to take a deep breath and at least try to calm down a bit. We all know that you can do it. Hang in there, it will soon be over :smile: Goood luck!

PS: Good gracious, I can't believe I've never looked at the TLL, but wow, what a chaos. Righto, Sappho, time to famliarise yourself with something...

Yeah the state of TLL is a joke. I literally am afraid of using it. As someone working on early Greek I have a plethora of awesome tools, the Chicago, TLG, Das Lexikon des frühgriechischen Epos, Indogermanisches Wörterbuch, Ebbeling, Chantraine, various lexica and scholia and a myriad of commentaries. Never, ever, in years of Classicising (:colonhash:) have I came across the madness of TLL in other forms.

Its sort of a running joke in the Classics actually. Seriously FFS someone sort it out!
Reply 1606
Yeah the state of TLL is a joke. I literally am afraid of using it. As someone working on early Greek I have a plethora of awesome tools, the Chicago, TLG, Das Lexikon des frühgriechischen Epos, Indogermanisches Wörterbuch, Ebbeling, Chantraine, various lexica and scholia and a myriad of commentaries. Never, ever, in years of Classicising (:colonhash:) have I came across the madness of TLL in other forms.

Its sort of a running joke in the Classics actually. Seriously FFS someone sort it out!

Well, the structured view of the online version is actually okay. I haven't had a look into the printed version though.
Reply 1607
So... I'm writing this thing on culture, and obviously at the start establish a definition of culture. I found a very nice definition that works perfectly for what I'm doing in a German dictionary, but the OED seems to just give weird factured definitions. Any ideas where else I could try? Or would it be enough to translate from the German dictionary? I mean, it's not technically the same word it's defining but the German equivalent.

To justify that I post this here I'll share a little anecdote: we had someone posting his Maths homework in our German Latin forum, and he got excellent results. Classicists must be the most competent out there :yep:
Original post by Sappho
So... I'm writing this thing on culture, and obviously at the start establish a definition of culture. I found a very nice definition that works perfectly for what I'm doing in a German dictionary, but the OED seems to just give weird factured definitions. Any ideas where else I could try? Or would it be enough to translate from the German dictionary? I mean, it's not technically the same word it's defining but the German equivalent.

To justify that I post this here I'll share a little anecdote: we had someone posting his Maths homework in our German Latin forum, and he got excellent results. Classicists must be the most competent out there :yep:

I've found this with classicists and maths, but it tends to be very polarised. Some classicists are great mathematicians, but some just can't do maths to save their life. It seems to be an oddity with classics.
Original post by Sappho

Well "culture" is easily one of the most complex fields out there, so trying to get a particular hold of it in a first year essay is...well I'm sure you can guess. However check out Renfrew and Bahn's "Introduction to Archaeology" which has a slew of short thematic sections anyone working with the ancient world needs to be roughly aware of, then slap your teachers for not giving you one of the most useful first year textbooks ever.

Try to stay away from the endless French stuff for now, just skim archaeology and anthropology. If you're doing Greece btw all the legitimate work will be found under either pragmatics or religion.
Man we really ought to put together a useful cross referenced bibliography. Some of the undergraduates I know here from my college bug me to do that anyway. It could have word art! :lol:
Reply 1611
Well "culture" is easily one of the most complex fields out there, so trying to get a particular hold of it in a first year essay is...well I'm sure you can guess. However check out Renfrew and Bahn's "Introduction to Archaeology" which has a slew of short thematic sections anyone working with the ancient world needs to be roughly aware of, then slap your teachers for not giving you one of the most useful first year textbooks ever.

Try to stay away from the endless French stuff for now, just skim archaeology and anthropology. If you're doing Greece btw all the legitimate work will be found under either pragmatics or religion.

Oh it's not for coursework, it's that article I'm writing for the History Society's Journal. The pain is that I'm recycling something I've written in German, and it's unhappy to be adapted into the British society and language :tongue:
Reply 1612
Also, I'm fortunate enough to be working on the decline of culture. That obviously narrows the definition down since if everything happening in a society was culture, then it could not decline :smile:
Original post by toronto353
I've found this with classicists and maths, but it tends to be very polarised. Some classicists are great mathematicians, but some just can't do maths to save their life. It seems to be an oddity with classics.
I suppose it's because classics is such a broad subject -- some areas are all about systematizing and reasoning, whereas others are more literary and dramatic, and some in between (e.g. ancient philosophy). That's why it's a cool thing to study.

I used to be good at maths (in fact, that's how I managed to go to one of the private schools I went to; my parents only had to pay half the normal fees, because I got the best result on the maths entrance exam), but I've not studied it for so long that I'd be useless now. I do regret not knowing more about sciency stuff, because it really interests me, but I'm definitely glad I studied classics too (even if mainly for the sake of our glorious classics society :p:).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1614
Am I just tired or is the new edition of the OLD actually cheaper than the former one? :eek:
Reply 1615
Also, has anyone actually seen the new OLD yet?

A visual oxymoron :tongue: But that was an actual question, too :wink:
Its only cheaper for a limited time, it will go to quite a bit more if I recall correctly. My college has one I think, in general they're fantastic at keeping up to date with the Latin side of things.

I certainly shan't be buying one anyway. :p:
Reply 1617
Why?
Original post by Sappho
Why?

I'm not really a Latinist, I have a ridiculously good memory and I literally can't remember the last time I needed to check a dictionary. So I'll never need it to check words and I don't do any serious Latin work to warrant it anyway, if I did the library has several copies anyway.

Basically it doesn't repay the cost in terms of usefulness for me so its a bad investment, as I suspect it is for 99% of students.
Reply 1619
I'm not really a Latinist, I have a ridiculously good memory and I literally can't remember the last time I needed to check a dictionary. So I'll never need it to check words and I don't do any serious Latin work to warrant it anyway, if I did the library has several copies anyway.

Basically it doesn't repay the cost in terms of usefulness for me so its a bad investment, as I suspect it is for 99% of students.

I see, that makes sense. Well, I am quite a Latinist, and I work with the OLD a lot, but the only Latin-English dictionary I have is that pocket gem thingy which is obviously ridiculous. I love working with a decent dictionary. For reading, you don't have to understand every work (as you wouldn't when you read French, or when I read English), but for translating and writing commentaries, I always have to go to the Library which is annoying. We can't borrow any dictionaries, they're reference only, and the OLD is not online.

It's about 180 pounds when I buy it through Amazon Germany, and since I was offered part bursaries for both summer schools I'm going to in the summer, I think I may spend this sum on my education, and just keep using the whimsical fury I call my bike for a wee bit longer.

Sappho happy est de hac conclusione :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending