The Student Room Group

Not sure what a-levels to choose?

I left school last summer with alright gcse's and am now working full time, i want to go to college in september to get a-levels but i dont really know what i want to do. I didn't really like school that much but i think i need a-levels for later in life. I was thinking of doing something fairly easy like Sociology, Philosophy and Law? What are these subjects like? Are they good? I have no idea what i want to be when im older, but i think i'll be interested in these subjects. Thanks.
Reply 1
depends what you want to do as a career tbh
Philosophy is really not easy..

There's no such thing as an 'easy a-level', you have to work very hard!

Sociology is supposed to be good, as I've heard, but it's learning a lot of case studies, but if you're interested in that, go for it :P

Psychology is also really interesting and that's my favourite subject, I'm probably just biased though.
But, no A-levels are not a walk in the park
Reply 3
Maths/R.E/Economics/Sociology/Psychology
Reply 4
Anyone know whats citizenship is like?
Reply 5
It sounds from the 3 subjects you mentioned that you would really enjoy history, its by far my favourite subject and many of my friends agree, including somebody who is also doing philosophy and sociology, so i'm guessing she wouldn't be that biased!
There is alot to learn in history but the content is really interesting and i would highly recommened, it is also a respected A level so you could apply it to many different degree options at uni level
and i do R.E which is half philosophy and it is fairly interesting but nothing in comparison to Hist!
hope this helps xxxx
Reply 6
You certainly shouldn't be considering English, anyway.

which*

LMAO PWNED xDDDDDD
Reply 7
They aren't easy! And none of them are. I guess you gotta think what areas you want to go in, then research what you need for them! Don't assume, and if you haven't already apply to college very soon.
Reply 8
Majority of A-levels require a lot of effort. In terms of opening the doors I'd suggest Maths, Economics, perhaps English lit. Citizenship, I assume, is like general studies. Don't think it's respected to be honest. The ones you mentioned aren't bad options, of course.
alot of sociology is so so so so boring, it's ridiculous. may just be my teachers' teaching style but personally, i wouldn't reccommend it. psychology is gooooood, do that instead :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest