The Student Room Group

Studying Medicine in the EU

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What about Malta? I met a FY1 doctor who studied there.
Reply 21
Original post by MDAkhi
...when was I supposed to link you anything? :confused:

i was asking you for advice, as you seemed quite knowledgeable.

You said that one could just transfer back into the UK after the first year, I've never heard of this before so I was wanting you to link me to a uni website or something that mentions it. :smile:
Reply 22
As a person who used to change locations very often, I know too good how it is to settle down and learn a new language. It was even hard for me to adjust to A levels when I came to UK. How are you going to manage a new language while studying medicine? A medical student tried to explain me the workload and compared it to doing 6 A2 in a year. But on the other hand, I always hear people talking about studying somewhere in czechia,litauen etc... No idea how they do that.

Many medical schools in the UK don't even allow you to transfer between tow UK universities, except oxbridge as medicine is really such a vigorous course and they really want you to teach all the concepts by themselves in their own way.

Anyways I would rather disadvise you to do this without even trying UK medical schools first.
Reply 23
Perhaps taking the czech option if theres no other, then during your first year, nothings stopping you reapplying to the UK institutions. You'd have to start again in the UK, but fees etc may make it attractive.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by P3ACE
nothings stopping you reapplying to the UK institutions.

Yes there is. It's frankly dangerous for you to suggest things like this.
Reply 25
Original post by Beska

Care to explain your OPINION further so as to actually HELP the OP and other interested members?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by P3ACE
Care to explain further so as to actually HELP the OP and other interested members?

You will disclose the information of your current institution on UCAS, and the vast majority of medical schools will not take somebody on who has already dropped out of another med school.

It has been discussed at great length at least twice in the past few months, and the general conclusion is that if you start medical school somewhere, finish it.
Reply 27
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
HI.

Medicine is my dream. I was wondering whether or not sttudying in the EU is a viable option. Would this be good. Med school is oversubscribed enough as it and will be come 2012 applications.

After all it isnt like I am an IMG coming from the states,caribbean or africa.

How do employers view EU grads too whenit comes to jobs?

all advice appreciated. Thanks.

If you can't get in the UK, I would highly recommend studying in EU, to some degree the teaching is better than here in the UK. My brother is currently studying in hungary..and the uni is amazing. He has exams every month to make sure everyone is on top of their work. They learn soo much more down there than the uni's here. The hard part is learning the language but you only have to be fairly fluent at it.
In fact in terms of jobs, the applicants may have some what an advantage due to being much more knowledgeable, knowing another language, experience in europe..etc. I know loads of people that have studied in europe and ALL of them say that they know more come F1 compared to those that studied here.
Reply 28
Original post by Beska
You will disclose the information of your current institution on UCAS, and the vast majority of medical schools will not take somebody on who has already dropped out of another med school.

It has been discussed at great length at least twice in the past few months, and the general conclusion is that if you start medical school somewhere, finish it.

I don't think you have to if its a foreign institution. If what you said is true, I doubt they will find out. My brother was going to do this, but he loved the place he is currently at to do it :smile:
Reply 29
Oh but apparantly he is. No thread in the medicine forum(mine anyway) has been unanswered by Beska.It
So far I don't think any information I got off him was wrong. Ber in mind you are asking for advice:lolwut:
Original post by MDAkhi

Reply 30
Original post by Gowrav
I don't think you have to if its a foreign institution. If what you said is true, I doubt they will find out. My brother was going to do this, but he loved the place he is currently at to do it :smile:

I'm pretty sure you do. UCAS is clear in that you need to disclose everything.

Let's not even go down the line of withholding information and hoping the uni won't find out...
Reply 31
Original post by Beska
I'm pretty sure you do. UCAS is clear in that you need to disclose everything.

Let's not even go down the line of withholding information and hoping the uni won't find out...

True.
Reply 32
Original post by Beska

I personally know people that have taken this route, and been successful hence my suggestion to budding medics. You can say what you like about the vast majority of schools not accepting those kind of applications but there have been places secured under these exact circumstances. Others have stated seeing it before in this thread, and I've also personally seen it with friends. I think if you have an opportunity to get lower fees, TAKE IT, it's your money. Other peoples conclusions are irrelevant if they don't help you. It's an opportunity, and you have little to lose, and possibly thousands to gain.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Just a tp Beska........ You come across ,or rather you are, a little too vague in your posts. You need coaxing just to give us what we want.

Do you need an F1 plcement or go right into practice with an EU degree
Original post by P3ACE
Care to explain your OPINION further so as to actually HELP the OP and other interested members?

Original post by Beska
Reply 34
Original post by MDAkhi

Clearly don't know Beska mate...he IS very knowledgeable.
Reply 35
Original post by P3ACE
I personally know people that have taken this route, and been successful hence my suggestion to budding medics. You can say what you like about the vast majority of schools not accepting those kind of applications but there have been places secured under these exact circumstances. Others have stated seeing it before in this thread, and I've also personally seen it with friends. I think if you have an opportunity to get lower fees, TAKE IT, it's your money. Other peoples conclusions are irrelevant if they don't help you.

What exactly have your friends done?

Just a tp Beska........ You come across ,or rather you are, a little too vague in your posts. You need coaxing just to give us what we want.

I am vague mostly because of the socratic method and the nature of these threads, plus the fact the questions that are asked are not always particularly clear. You can't always give a direct answer to the question "shall I go study in the EU?" without further probing.

Your question makes no sense, what do you mean by "go into practice" - into practice in which country, what do you class as 'in practice'?
Reply 36

Dude, appreciate that atleast he's helping you! And with an Eu degree I'm not sure if all do this, but I know for some you can go straight into F2 year.
Reply 37
Original post by Gowrav
Dude, appreciate that atleast he's helping you! And with an Eu degree I'm not sure if all do this, but I know for some you can go straight into F2 year.

Original post by Beska
What exactly have your friends done?

I am vague mostly because of the socratic method and the nature of these threads, plus the fact the questions that are asked are not always particularly clear. You can't always give a direct answer to the question "shall I go study in the EU?" without further probing.

Your question makes no sense, what do you mean by "go into practice" - into practice in which country, what do you class as 'in practice'?

I mean practice in the UK . Go into practice as in you dont need to do a foundation year but you get full gmc registration and get into a registrar or consultant position etc..... you know the its after F1 and f2
*bits (meant bits not its)

I am gratefull. Hence why I defend or rather support him when his hepfulness is brought into question.
Reply 38
I mean practice in the UK . Go into practice as in you dont need to do a foundation year but you get full gmc registration and get into a registrar or consultant position etc..... you know the its after F1 and f2
*bits (meant bits not its)

I am gratefull. Hence why I defend or rather support him when his hepfulness is brought into question.

I don't know.

You're not going to be able to start in the UK anywhere above F1 with just a medical degree, though. F1 and onwards are the training years, and you wouldn't be competent for a registrar job or higher if you're fresh out of med school.
Reply 39
Original post by Beska
I don't know.

You're not going to be able to start in the UK anywhere above F1 with just a medical degree, though. F1 and onwards are the training years, and you wouldn't be competent for a registrar job or higher if you're fresh out of med school.

You can. My brothers medical course is 5 and a half years, and he has told me he can go into F2 straight away once he graduates, but he said he rather go into F1. The reason why he chose this medical school is partially to do with that, since his friend also studied there and went into F2 straight away. Probably cause the course is slightly longer than the courses here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending