The Student Room Group

Studying Medicine in the EU

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Gowrav
You can. My brothers medical course is 5 and a half years, and he has told me he can go into F2 straight away once he graduates, but he said he rather go into F1. The reason why he chose this medical school is partially to do with that, since his friend also studied there and went into F2 straight away. Probably cause the course is slightly longer than the courses here?

Yeh, he won't just have a medical degree then. He would have done some on-the-job training that is equivalent to F1.
Reply 41
Original post by Beska
Yeh, he won't just have a medical degree then. He would have done some on-the-job training that is equivalent to F1.

That's what I was thinking. I will ask him this question, want to know exactly myself :tongue:. But personally I think you would be at a disadvantage if you don't do F1 first.
Reply 42
Original post by Beska
Link me to the post - I don't know in what context I said that so I can't say.

It's your own life, I'm only giving you advice. Learning a language is not easy, especially in 2-3 years alongside full time medical studies. You will probably not manage it

You said the following:

Original post by Beska
A foreign medical school opens up a whole new can of worms...

Original post by Beska
Bit of both really, majority of 'worms' being when you return to the UK.

Can you speak Czech fluently? Will you not find clinical years difficult?

On this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1486786

I just wanted to know what these "worms" are exactly
Reply 43
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
You said the following:

On this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1486786

I just wanted to know what these "worms" are exactly

Read the thread - I was wrong about there being problems on return to the UK. The majority of problems are studying abroad in the first place - cost, learning a language from scratch, etc.
Reply 44
Original post by Beska
Read the thread - I was wrong about there being problems on return to the UK. The majority of problems are studying abroad in the first place - cost, learning a language from scratch, etc.

Oh. You should have made that clear on the thread. Thanks.
Reply 45
Oh. You should have made that clear on the thread. Thanks.

It was very clear:

Original post by Beska
I'm wrong, forget what I said.

How is it physically possible to get more ****ing clear than that? Jesus christ.
Reply 46
Original post by Beska
It was very clear:

How is it physically possible to get more ****ing clear than that? Jesus christ.

Well obviously I never saw that. Calm down and stop getting pissy over everything. :colonhash:
Well obviously I never saw that. Calm down and stop getting pissy over everything. :colonhash:

It didn't sound like he was getting pissy. It sounded like you failed to read what was written and are now getting passive aggressive to make it sound like Beska is the one with a problem. Bore on.
Reply 48
Original post by Fission_Mailed
It didn't sound like he was getting pissy. It sounded like you failed to read what was written and are now getting passive aggressive to make it sound like Beska is the one with a problem. Bore on.

I disagree. I read it , I just didn't notice or forgot about that one particular point.

What does this matter anyway? Let's forget it.
Reply 49
I disagree. I read it , I just didn't notice or forgot about that one particular point.

What does this matter anyway? Let's forget it.

You read a point I make, choose to ignore it and then criticize me for not making it.

Oh Jonny.
Reply 50
Original post by Beska
You read a point I make, choose to ignore it and then criticize me for not making it.

Oh Jonny.

Yes because that's what I do eh? Read valid points , ignore them purposely. I then go on to criticize people in order to make an ass of myself on my own thread.
:facepalm:

Oh Beska.

EDIT: For future reference :Keep on topic
Reply 51
hahaha
I haven't bothered reading the second page because you guys seemed to be arguing... Agent Smirnoff, medical schools that offer the medical course in English are in Gdansk, Brno and Prague. I think there is also one in Holland, but you'd have to google it, because I can't remember its name... That's all I can remember from what my guidance counselor told me. Your first three years would be in English, and during those years, you would have to learn Dutch or Czech or whatever, to an adequate level of proficiency, so that after the third year you could interact with the native patients. After that, since they're in the EU, you can (supposedly) apply for a job elsewhere, and transfer yourself to train in a hospital in any other EU country. Not sure if that includes England specially, but if it counts for anything, this is what the counselor offered me as a backup plan if I didn't get in to an English university. So I hope that helps you, and good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Beska

Cost is fine, but you do realise there are a lot of English programmes available, albeit at high prices?
Reply 54
Original post by qasman
Cost is fine, but you do realise there are a lot of English programmes available, albeit at high prices?

How do you expect to talk to your patients, your colleagues, the nurses, the porters, the clerical staff, the receptionists, etc. if you don't speak their language?
Reply 55
Original post by shortstories
I haven't bothered reading the second page because you guys seemed to be arguing... Agent Smirnoff, medical schools that offer the medical course in English are in Gdansk, Brno and Prague. I think there is also one in Holland, but you'd have to google it, because I can't remember its name... That's all I can remember from what my guidance counselor told me. Your first three years would be in English, and during those years, you would have to learn Dutch or Czech or whatever, to an adequate level of proficiency, so that after the third year you could interact with the native patients. After that, since they're in the EU, you can (supposedly) apply for a job elsewhere, and transfer yourself to train in a hospital in any other EU country. Not sure if that includes England specially, but if it counts for anything, this is what the counselor offered me as a backup plan if I didn't get in to an English university. So I hope that helps you, and good luck with everything :smile:

In the czech republic, most (if not all) unis do english programmes that are recognised by the GMC, allowing you to full registration without any extra exam after you grab yourself a medical degree
Reply 56
Original post by qasman
In the czech republic, most (if not all) unis do english programmes that are recognised by the GMC, allowing you to full registration without any extra exam after you grab yourself a medical degree

Yes, universities which kick you off after 3 years if you've not become fluent in Czech. :rolleyes:
Reply 57
Original post by Beska
Yes, universities which kick you off after 3 years if you've not become fluent in Czech. :rolleyes:

Not fluent, just enough to pass the exams. A lot of people at these unis have really crappy czech, but they pass exams by memorising vocab, etc. etc.

Last time I checked UK medical schools kick you out if you fail exams as well
Reply 58
Original post by Beska
How do you expect to talk to your patients, your colleagues, the nurses, the porters, the clerical staff, the receptionists, etc. if you don't speak their language?

You are taught Czech, and also medical Czech is taught as well. The communication is limited between you and native patients of course, as I said it's not ideal, but people who go to these unis don't go in ideal circumstances
Reply 59
Original post by qasman
You are taught Czech, and also medical Czech is taught as well. The communication is limited between you and native patients of course, as I said it's not ideal, but people who go to these unis don't go in ideal circumstances

You're seriously underestimating how difficult it is to learn a language, from scratch, up to a level where one can function effectively.

People spend years and years studying a language, and you're suggesting that it's possible to just "pick it up" in 3 years alongside a full-time medical degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending