The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thought it'd be 2 years. Does that only count to people serving and gaining a commission from within the forces, or does it count for service folk who left, then re-joined at a later date?

Mark
Reply 21
Rugbyspaniel .> The info you've given in the above post seems spot on, but has just confused the Bejeezus out of me because it flies in the face of pretty much everything I've been told from Innsworth. (See my last post on this thread).

I was told that as a SSgt (FS/Ch Tech equiv) I would graduate as Fg Off then have two years before Flt Lt - 9 months of which would be in EST. My degree doesn't count for anything, and it will not accelerate the promotion path by a single day, never mind 6 months.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm merely saying that there is a lot of info out there which seems to be based on opinion rather than fact, which leads to conflicting advice.

Is AP 3393 available on the MoD intranet? I've done a search but no joy. Hopefully it would give a clear-cut and definitive answer.

--------------

djmarkmclachlan
Thought it'd be 2 years. Does that only count to people serving and gaining a commission from within the forces, or does it count for service folk who left, then re-joined at a later date?

Mark

As far as I'm aware the policy throughout the Forces is seniority is classed as continuous as long as time out of service is less than 12 months.

Pension is similar but the time limit is reduced to 28 days.
Reply 22
May be a stupid question, but oh well.

What is the difference between an Officer Cadet and a Student Officer?

Is it blatently obvious and I'm just not seeing the answer?
Reply 23
OK. Cancel my last.

Having just found and read AP 3393 it would seem that this week I am be mostly talking bullox!

The stuff rugbyspaniel posted is indeed as correct as a big bag of correctness, as is the info I got from Innsworth.

My oversight was that the rules change for cross-service transfers. As ex RAF, the rules take into account that you've been in the home environment for some time, whereas the Navy/Army would be like a square peg in a not-so square hole. Thus, more time in the junior officer position would allow an acquantance and understanding of RAF policy/procedure to be better gained.

As for degrees counting for something... it's only if they were gained prior to joining up.

LORD, help me engage brain before putting mouth into gear!

I'll shut up now.

--------------

M!ke
May be a stupid question, but oh well.

What is the difference between an Officer Cadet and a Student Officer?

Is it blatently obvious and I'm just not seeing the answer?

Student Officer - graduate entry. Commissioned from day 1 of IOT

Officer Cadet - Non graduate or from the ranks. Commissioned upon completion of IOT.
Reply 24
Thanks for that, learn something new everyday!
Reply 25
REME-Bod
Is AP 3393 available on the MoD intranet? I've done a search but no joy. Hopefully it would give a clear-cut and definitive answer.

Yup; go to the RAF's homepage, and there's a link to publications or the suchlike. If it's not there, it's on the PTC homepage, a link to which is on the RAF homepage.
Reply 26
Do student officers wear a purple band around their white rank tabs??
Reply 27
GritChimpMk1
Do student officers wear a purple band around their white rank tabs??

No, they don't. And if they did, would it matter?

Purple/blue bands are worn by UAS officer cadets who hold bursaries, and by C Squadron cadets on IOT.

While I can't confirm this has remained for the new course, RTS cadets used to have a grey band, C Squadron had blue, B Squadron yellow, and D Squadron green. Once on the intermediate course, cadets would gain an RAF 'pip' in the centre of their rank slides; but not on those worn in the field. Senior course cadets had the 'pip' and yellow banding along the top and bottom of the rank slide; although their field rank slides for CS95 had no 'pip.'

Hope that explains all.
And A sqn is red (for the wannabe airmen aircrew among us...)
Reply 29
What's the significant difference between the Sqns?
Reply 30
Fluffy B is the easy one, D Sqn used to be fairly unpleasant and hardcore, and C Sqn was a nice middle ground. C Sqn probably had the best crewroom. Pick your favourite mascot; B has a tiger and lots of Calvin and Hobbes-themed t-shirts and the such; D Sqn has a dragon, and lots of horrible mint-coloured clothes and quartered rugby shirts, while C Sqn has a dolphin and navy blue stuff.

We always reckoned the dragon would win a fight between the mascots, although dolphins are clever enough not to get involved in a fight with a dragon and a tiger. And tigers don't swim too well, and fire's no use underwater, so if it were in the dolphin's home turf he'd probably do quite well.
Reply 31
Also, the B Sqn rank slides look like urine. C definately has the nicest colour scheme.
Reply 32
Wzz
Fluffy B is the easy one, D Sqn used to be fairly unpleasant and hardcore, and C Sqn was a nice middle ground. C Sqn probably had the best crewroom. Pick your favourite mascot; B has a tiger and lots of Calvin and Hobbes-themed t-shirts and the such; D Sqn has a dragon, and lots of horrible mint-coloured clothes and quartered rugby shirts, while C Sqn has a dolphin and navy blue stuff.

We always reckoned the dragon would win a fight between the mascots, although dolphins are clever enough not to get involved in a fight with a dragon and a tiger. And tigers don't swim too well, and fire's no use underwater, so if it were in the dolphin's home turf he'd probably do quite well.

Any Room for a Taz as a mascot ? :biggrin:
Reply 33
and A?
Reply 34
.. and A Sqn trains NCA, so has absolutely nothing to do with IOT.
As a SNCO in the Brittish Armed Forces I suggest you use the correct channels to gain your info and not this site.

REME-Bod
Rugbyspaniel .> The info you've given in the above post seems spot on, but has just confused the Bejeezus out of me because it flies in the face of pretty much everything I've been told from Innsworth. (See my last post on this thread).

I was told that as a SSgt (FS/Ch Tech equiv) I would graduate as Fg Off then have two years before Flt Lt - 9 months of which would be in EST. My degree doesn't count for anything, and it will not accelerate the promotion path by a single day, never mind 6 months.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm merely saying that there is a lot of info out there which seems to be based on opinion rather than fact, which leads to conflicting advice.

--------------

As far as I'm aware the policy throughout the Forces is seniority is classed as continuous as long as time out of service is less than 12 months.

Pension is similar but the time limit is reduced to 28 days.
Reply 36
logie_jamsie
As a SNCO in the Brittish Armed Forces I suggest you use the correct channels to gain your info and not this site.

Just a question... if these sites are so bad why are you on here... have read a few of your posts and they all seems very critical and negative?

This is a discussion forum, not gospel. And, instead of merely putting down the information posted here, why you don't you state what is correct... would be far more productive.
I can't stop anyone giving an opinion but the RAF are monitoring this site and others and they/we have found a lot of incorrect info. They/we are trying to dicourage people from using this site and use official MOD/RAF websites instead.

LouE3D
Just a question... if these sites are so bad why are you on here... have read a few of your posts and they all seems very critical and negative?

This is a discussion forum, not gospel. And, instead of merely putting down the information posted here, why you don't you state what is correct... would be far more productive.
Reply 38
logie_jamsie
I can't stop anyone giving an opinion but the RAF are monitoring this site and others and they/we have found a lot of incorrect info. They/we are trying to dicourage people from using this site and use official MOD/RAF websites instead.

You don't get personal experiences from the official RAF/MOD sites though. On here you can talk to people that have been or are currently going through the same process as yourself. It's just a place where like minded people can talk about careers in the armed forces, I can't do that on the RAF website.
Reply 39
logie_jamsie

Can you ask the MOD/RAF websites "What is OASC/IOT/RTS etc actually like?" and hear people's experiences? I don't know about everyone else but I've found this site incredibly useful and accept that some of the information may not be 100% accurate.

Like LouE3D said, surely it would be better if you helped rectify the situation rather than sending individuals snotty e-mails about where they should get their info. (Just me or anyone else?)

Latest