The Student Room Group

The most mathematical economics courses?

Exactly as the title says..
Looking to apply for an Economics course, however, I was thinking whilst doing FP1 homework how much I would miss spending time expanding brackets (sad, me knows). So, which economics courses contain the most mathematical content?

Thanks.

(looking at decent unis).
Cambridge most likely.

Bristol is pretty hardcore.
Reply 2
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Cambridge most likely.

bristol isn't as hardcore as say warwick, lse etc, its probably on a par with notts maybee a bit more though.
Wezzler has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Original post by Wezzler
Kisses!

Wezzler
what did you think of the bristol economics school when you went to visit, i've heard mixed rumours about poor contact time etc, still gonna be my firm regardless, i emailed bristol and they said i would more than likely be able to switch to straight econ or econ and finance when i get there as its very flexible, even more so now, that im on for A*A*B, after getting 94 ums in c3 :smile:, how did your results go?

I thought it was pretty kewl, the talk was nice, except it was essentially 'if you don't like this/this/this/this or this, don't come.' I have my reservations about living in the city - constantly inhaling exhaust fumes etc. Still, going to be my firm choice

High five about C3, I got the same UMS (H)

ABBa (A in C3 and D1 - but that's just an AS) Retaking my low B's in business & physics :frown:
The course at LSE is the most mathematically rigorous straight economics course, obviously if you do something like Maths/Econometrics and Economics then it'll be more mathematical. Closely followed by Cambridge, then UCL then Warwick/Bath/Bristol. It really does depend on what modules you pick. Expanding brackets is fun but 70% of what you do on an economics course revolves around Calculus, 20% Linear Algebra (if you take the more advanced econometrics modules) and the rest just other random bits.
He could do any BA in Economics he will still get to expand brackets.

I don't think anybody can really give a question as to which is the MOST mathematical course, unless you have been to all these unis you are just going off hearsay. I think its fair to say that the ones mentioned give scope to do plenty of mathematical modules.

Also, wherever you are, if you particularly enjoy maths it is easy to find the mathematical presentation of each topic you do either on the internet or in textbooks (a good maths for economists book like Chiang & Wainwright or Simon & Blume will stand you in good stead).
Original post by joshgoldman
Exactly as the title says..
Looking to apply for an Economics course, however, I was thinking whilst doing FP1 homework how much I would miss spending time expanding brackets (sad, me knows). So, which economics courses contain the most mathematical content?

Thanks.

(looking at decent unis).

I have the same question, so I'm looking forward to the answers to this thread (and I've given you a cheeky pos rep :biggrin:)
Reply 7
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Cambridge most likely.

Actually, I think Bristol is more mathematical than Cambridge.

OP: Warwick Maths and Econ is probably the most mathematical, then LSE maths and econ (Warwick over LSE because it is closer to a straight mathematics course and you do some modules as BSc maths people and Warwick is renowned for maths) and then any other uni that offers a joint degree (e.g. st andrews who are ranked decent for both econ and maths).

Of those courses that don't have maths in the title, LSE EME, then UCL/LSE/Warwick BSc econ. and then whatever floats your boat.

ps obviously I might not know about some unis that have mathematical courses.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
There's some misunderstanding here. Cambridge's course is the most technical in terms of compulsory courses. LSE's is technical only if you want it to be -- there's more choice in terms of the core micro/macro/metrics, but if you do take the optional advanced courses available (only on EME and M+E) then it might be the most 'mathematical' course around...but few people actually do. I would also say Cambridge forces you to be a better all-round economist whereas LSE is heavy on the theory but limited guidance is offered as to how to tackle practical problems.

The course being more 'mathematical' in itself doesn't carry much weight -- people overrate that aspect of economics. You can get training in tackling abstract problems that are conceptually difficult to understand but for most people, tackling applied problems would be more relevant and get them a better education in terms of their future career. One is not more difficult than the other -- it's a matter of personal preference.
Reply 9
Original post by Overmars
The course being more 'mathematical' in itself doesn't carry much weight -- people overrate that aspect of economics. You can get training in tackling abstract problems that are conceptually difficult to understand but for most people, tackling applied problems would be more relevant and get them a better education in terms of their future career. One is not more difficult than the other -- it's a matter of personal preference.

I agree with you to an extent, but the OP did say he would miss the maths so it is not a case of 'I've heard maths is better so I want as much as possible' but rather that he wants to do it. This is why I brought the join degree in as they would have more maths content.

I disagree with parts of your first paragraph. Cambridge 2nd year maths is also optional as are the two metrics third year papers (and one of which is being get rid off). So it is just as optional as LSE. What I would say is better are two things. One, that you have to do 2 general micro/macro modules in third year which are closer to the general micro/macro at master level. And two, that it is indeed more practically orientated.
Reply 10
Original post by danny111
I agree with you to an extent, but the OP did say he would miss the maths so it is not a case of 'I've heard maths is better so I want as much as possible' but rather that he wants to do it. This is why I brought the join degree in as they would have more maths content.

I disagree with parts of your first paragraph. Cambridge 2nd year maths is also optional as are the two metrics third year papers (and one of which is being get rid off). So it is just as optional as LSE. What I would say is better are two things. One, that you have to do 2 general micro/macro modules in third year which are closer to the general micro/macro at master level. And two, that it is indeed more practically orientated.

The problem with a joint degree (as much as I have considered it) is that I am wanting to apply to Cambridge for straight Economics. Therefore, wouldn't it be hard to write a PS that is strong for both straight Econ as well as a joint hons at another Uni?
Reply 11
Original post by joshgoldman
The problem with a joint degree (as much as I have considered it) is that I am wanting to apply to Cambridge for straight Economics. Therefore, wouldn't it be hard to write a PS that is strong for both straight Econ as well as a joint hons at another Uni?

Not at all. Economics is a lot about maths. They are likely to realise that you are applying to joint elsewhere, but like Oxford who understand if people only talk about economics and not management for their E&M course, I think they will be fine with it.
Yes if you talk about economics and then say why you are interested in maths, that you are interested in the mathematical parts of economics, Cambridge might not even realise you are applying for joint honours, they might just think you have a mathematical approach to economics which is fine by them.
Reply 13
Maths in economics needs to be applied otherwise do a straight Maths degree.

Silly really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending