The Student Room Group

Been accepted to 4 Uni's, need help deciding

Hey guys. I am currently in my 4th year as an Undergraduate at the University of California Santa Barbara. I have applied to 6 MA programs and have been accepted to 4 of them, and still waitin to hear back from one.

Accepted into the following

University of Essex- MA Politics
VU University Amsterdam- MA Political Science
Brussels School of International Studies (Kent Uni)- MA Politics/IR
Jacobs Bremen University (Germany)-MA International Relations

Declined

Cambridge-MA Politics

Waiting to hear back from

Univesity of British Columbia-MA Political Science

Right now I am leaning towards going to Essex but will go to UBC if I get in because tuition there is very cheap and it is a higher ranked school.
However, I am also constantly thinking about VU Amsterdam because living in Amsterdam would be awesome.

My goal is to do well in an MA program then go for a PHD, I believe if I do that at Essex I will be able to get into a better school in the UK such s University College London, Uni Manchester, Oxford, etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Anything will be appreciated.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I was a student worker at the Faculty of Graduate Study at UBC, and I've witnessed a lot of applications for political science and IR. It is one of the most popular subjects in the Faculty of Arts.

Have you heard back from them yet?

Good luck!

Original post by lex4158
Hey guys. I am currently in my 4th year as an Undergraduate at the University of California Santa Barbara. I have applied to 6 MA programs and have been accepted to 4 of them, and still waitin to hear back from one.

Accepted into the following

University of Essex- MA Politics
VU University Amsterdam- MA Political Science
Brussels School of International Studies (Kent Uni)- MA Politics/IR
Jacobs Bremen University (Germany)-MA International Relations

Declined

Cambridge-MA Politics

Waiting to hear back from

Univesity of British Columbia-MA Political Science

Right now I am leaning towards going to Essex but will go to UBC if I get in because tuition there is very cheap and it is a higher ranked school.
However, I am also constantly thinking about VU Amsterdam because living in Amsterdam would be awesome.

My goal is to do well in an MA program then go for a PHD, I believe if I do that at Essex I will be able to get into a better school in the UK such s University College London, Uni Manchester, Oxford, etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Anything will be appreciated.
Reply 2
Hello,

If I were you, I would definitely choose VU University Amsterdam. Simply, Amsterdam city is so vibrant and beautiful.
It ranks 179 on QS World University Rankings, whereas the University of Essex is just on 315.
Although Social Sciences for the University of Essex is higher. It ranks 77, whilst VU University Amsterdam is on 130.

So, yes, it's really difficult to decide just now. The best thing is to wait till UBC.

Best Wishes!
Reply 3
Original post by whimisicalJ
I was a student worker at the Faculty of Graduate Study at UBC, and I've witnessed a lot of applications for political science and IR. It is one of the most popular subjects in the Faculty of Arts.

Have you heard back from them yet?

Good luck!

I reckon it's pretty safe to say that he has, given that his post is over a year old...:erm:

Quick Reply

Latest