The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Goldsmiths firmers - 2011 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

I'm studying English & American Lit, i've only read Antigone, Hamlet and The Modest Proposal *eek*. Do you guys think we're expected to pretty much read the whole list of explorations in literature before the term starts? Cos Beowulf, The Odyssey and Metamorphoses look horrendously difficult. Where are you guys coming from? I'm from North London.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Original post by Penelope247
I'm studying English & American Lit, i've only read Antigone, Hamlet and The Modest Proposal *eek*. Do you guys think we're expected to pretty much read the whole list of explorations in literature before the term starts? Cos Beowulf, The Odyssey and Metamorphoses look horrendously difficult. Where are you guys coming from? I'm from North London.

Hiya, I don't think they expect us to read all of them.. (Hopefully!) But I think even just reading a couple puts you in better stead for the lectures and seminars. Beowulf was quite enjoyable I thought. :smile: Are you doing the poetry or the short story course?

Are you commuting? I'm moving into a flat in New Cross on saturday. Are you going to the non-halls people meet up tomorrow?
Original post by tinycrazybug
Hiya, I don't think they expect us to read all of them.. (Hopefully!) But I think even just reading a couple puts you in better stead for the lectures and seminars. Beowulf was quite enjoyable I thought. :smile: Are you doing the poetry or the short story course?

Are you commuting? I'm moving into a flat in New Cross on saturday. Are you going to the non-halls people meet up tomorrow?

Haha yeah I hope not! I took a gap year so it's been a while since i've read books quickly and frequently. Haven't started Beowulf cos i've got the 'new translation' rather than verse. I think i'm going to opt for the shorty story course, what about you?
I've actually got halls (Loring Hall). Although i'm from North London, my parents just sold the house two weeks ago and moved up to Petersfield in Sussex so I'm living here for the moment, am coming down on Saturday though so I can't go to the non-halls people meet-up unfortunately. Are you going?
Haha yeah I hope not! I took a gap year so it's been a while since i've read books quickly and frequently. Haven't started Beowulf cos i've got the 'new translation' rather than verse. I think i'm going to opt for the shorty story course, what about you?
I've actually got halls (Loring Hall). Although i'm from North London, my parents just sold the house two weeks ago and moved up to Petersfield in Sussex so I'm living here for the moment, am coming down on Saturday though so I can't go to the non-halls people meet-up unfortunately. Are you going?

Yeah, hopefully getting into the habit to read for long periods of time will come easily. :smile: Ah, I'm just doing English - so I have to do poetry & short story. But I am currently reading Guy De Maupassant's short stories and am really enjoying it. Absolutely fantastic!
That's lucky you got into halls :smile: Yes, I'm going. I'm looking forward to meeting people tonight. :biggrin:

I'm also on this course, pretty sure they aren't expecting that and I've only read a couple too so don't worry, you aren't the only one!! :P
Educatio, culture and society!...Firm...starting on the 3rd of oct I think?.
Yeah, she really enjoyed it, so I'm sure we will. English is by far the best subject anyway, :P Oh that's cool! I can't wait for term to begin and meet new people and discuss all the weird novels & stuff. :biggrin:

'I can't wait for term to begin and meet new people and discuss all the weird novels & stuff.' HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Like that ever happened...
what is wrong with you, satan. at least we discovered thai.
what is wrong with you, satan. at least we discovered thai.

To all new Goldsmith students: THE THAILAND DURING HAPPY HOUR WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending