The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by The Young Economist
Thanks. Just remember how competitive the unis are. A back-up is a wise move :smile: Just keep working hard :wink:

Yep firming Cambridge.

I done 5 AS's excluding maths because I done it early but didn't cash it in.

Maths 587/600
FM 389/400 (+1 module)
History 297/300
Chemistry 283/300 (can't quite remember this one...)
Physics 285/300
Economics 300/300

Dropped Physics so I'm doing 4 A2's like most people :smile:

Wow, you deserve everything you get!

What career path do you want to follow?
Original post by tateco

Original post by tateco
Wow, you deserve everything you get!

What career path do you want to follow?

Umm not too sure to be quite honest. Just for everyone to know, I managed to get into good unis coming from an incredibly rubbish school (20% pass GCSE) and hard to work hard myself. I had the chance to go to a v good grammar school but it was too far away and stayed on for A-Levels. Just work hard and you will get your reward. :smile: All the best
Reply 242
Umm not too sure to be quite honest. Just for everyone to know, I managed to get into good unis coming from an incredibly rubbish school (20% pass GCSE) and hard to work hard myself. I had the chance to go to a v good grammar school but it was too far away and stayed on for A-Levels. Just work hard and you will get your reward. :smile: All the best

How'd you keep yourself so motivated when doing all those a levels? As I am really struggling at the moment. :/
Reply 243
Original post by YingYang
How'd you keep yourself so motivated when doing all those a levels? As I am really struggling at the moment. :/

Just think about where you want to be August 2012, when finding out your results. Do you want to have offers from your favourite universities? Do you want to feel comfortable that you've worked hard enough for the grades?

I just keep myself motivated by reminding myself why I work so hard. Try and think about all the people in the country who are motivated and how they'll get in front of you in the race.

I hope that helps!

Because I've pretty much finished maths, I'm doing Chemistry, History and Economics. To be honest its just about enjoying the subjects you do. I love the subjects I take and as a result end up doing well in them.

Since you've taken your subjects I'd recommend simply to keep your head up and not lose focus of your goal. Work hard when you have to and enjoy yourself as well. No ones telling you to work 24/7. Exams nowadays are very formulaic. Go through the theory and past papers and there you have it!

As above, just think when you have your results slip in your hand!

It's difficult to give advice as I mentioned, I really enjoy my subjects. Drop your least favourite at the end of the year!
Reply 245
Wow! Congratulations pal! You thoroughly deserve everything you get! I was just wondering whether you did anything on the side such as voluntary work or certain work experience that boosted your chances of getting into those universities?
All the best for when you start Cambridge! :smile:
Original post by Hemzo

Original post by Hemzo
Wow! Congratulations pal! You thoroughly deserve everything you get! I was just wondering whether you did anything on the side such as voluntary work or certain work experience that boosted your chances of getting into those universities?
All the best for when you start Cambridge! :smile:

Thanks! Regarding work experience it isn't necessary at all. However finding relevant work experience could be very beneficial. When showing unis that you really want to study the subject, the best way of doing so is actually doing stuff related to the discipline rather than using flowery language to cover up a lack of substance. Voluntary work is v good (in the sort of moral sense), but I'm not sure if it will add to much to your application.
Reply 247
Ah I see, cheers mate :smile:
Thanks! Regarding work experience it isn't necessary at all. However finding relevant work experience could be very beneficial. When showing unis that you really want to study the subject, the best way of doing so is actually doing stuff related to the discipline rather than using flowery language to cover up a lack of substance. Voluntary work is v good (in the sort of moral sense), but I'm not sure if it will add to much to your application.

It is when you're after summer internships.
Original post by TSR-MATT

Original post by TSR-MATT
It is when you're after summer internships.

We're talking in regards to Economics applications if you notice the thread. Either way work experience in years 9-13 will have no bearing in one receiving summer internships. In fact I know dozens of people who have had no such contact in their related field before applying.

Summer internships will be meaningful when you are actually at uni, and in final year applying for a grad post.
Reply 250
Hey, so I want to apply for economics in 2012 and am currently taking maths, economics, physics and chemistry. However have been told I should do Further maths to help my application, I'm likely to do this myself whilst doing A2. But I'm not sure if I will get the time so would doing S2 and S3 but not complteing FP1 to get the FM A/S be good enough to demonstrate my statstical skills are good enough, as I have looked at what most of the economcis courses entail and they seem to be stastical. Obviously if I have time to I will do FP1. What do you think?

Also good luck to everyone when they apply :smile:
Reply 251
Original post by alpesh m
Hey, so I want to apply for economics in 2012 and am currently taking maths, economics, physics and chemistry. However have been told I should do Further maths to help my application, I'm likely to do this myself whilst doing A2. But I'm not sure if I will get the time so would doing S2 and S3 but not complteing FP1 to get the FM A/S be good enough to demonstrate my statstical skills are good enough, as I have looked at what most of the economcis courses entail and they seem to be stastical. Obviously if I have time to I will do FP1. What do you think?

Firstly, your subject set is a strong one! Try and ensure you get some great grades in AS, especially in Maths. Top universities will care more about you certificating an AS in Further Maths, rather than you taking a few extra statistics modules and receiving no extra qualification.

If you've got time to do S2 and S3, why not do FP1, S2 and an easier applied module to ensure you get the AS Level.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 252
Original post by alpesh m

Good subject choices, but lack of further maths will hinder your application so you are making the right decision in taking up an AS. As Groat said I would recommend that you try and take a full AS level to show your universities how committed you are, some universities (like LSE) may even include it in your offer. However if you cannot do the full A-level then S2 and S3 will certainly be better than nothing, if this is how things pan out then make sure you get your teacher to make a big deal about the fact you're doing it in your reference.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 253
Original post by tateco
Good subject choices, but lack of further maths will hinder your application so you are making the right decision in taking up an AS. As Groat said I would recommend that you try and take a full AS level to show your universities how committed you are, some universities (like LSE) may even include it in your offer. However if you cannot do the full A-level then S2 and S3 will certainly be better than nothing, if this is how things pan out then make sure you get your teacher to make a big deal about the fact you're doing it in your reference.

Original post by Groat
Firstly, your subject set is a strong one! Try and ensure you get some great grades in AS, especially in Maths. Top universities will care more about you certificating an AS in Further Maths, rather than you taking a few extra statistics modules and receiving no extra qualification.

If you've got time to do S2 and S3, why not do FP1, S2 and an easier applied module to ensure you get the AS Level.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will try and make sure that I get the full AS done :smile:
Thanks. Just remember how competitive the unis are. A back-up is a wise move :smile: Just keep working hard :wink:

Yep firming Cambridge.

I done 5 AS's excluding maths because I done it early but didn't cash it in.

Maths 587/600
FM 389/400 (+1 module)
History 197/200
Chemistry 283/300 (can't quite remember this one...)
Physics 285/300
Economics 200/200

Dropped Physics so I'm doing 4 A2's like most people :smile:

EDIT: got carried away with my '300's'. Economics/History is out of 200 :smile:

WOW! Good Maths and F Maths UMS and Economics UMS! That is all you really need for applications. History too! :tongue:
Reply 255
Original post by bomberdoom
WOW! Good Maths and F Maths UMS and Economics UMS! That is all you really need for applications. History too! :tongue:

Along with personality, motivation and a passion for Economics. :colondollar:

Although I can't say I wouldn't be happy with the UMS posted above!
Reply 256
Original post by Groat
Along with personality, motivation and a passion for Economics. :colondollar:

Although I can't say I wouldn't be happy with the UMS posted above!

The lowest he gets to is 94%, no wonder he got all the offers he did. so jealous :L
Reply 257
Original post by tateco
The lowest he gets to is 94%, no wonder he got all the offers he did. so jealous :L

Use that jealousy to motivate yourself!

Those UMS are easily achievable if you put the effort in - except maybe AQA English Literature, the marks always seem unpredictable. :tongue:
Reply 258
Original post by Groat
Use that jealousy to motivate yourself!

Those UMS are easily achievable if you put the effort in - except maybe AQA English Literature, the marks always seem unpredictable. :tongue:

I'm afraid I've already missed the 94% in one of my subject where I only got 93.3, maybe I can drag it up in summer :wink:
Reply 259
Original post by tateco
I'm afraid I've already missed the 94% in one of my subject where I only got 93.3, maybe I can drag it up in summer :wink:

93.3% is still pretty amazing! I'm sure you'll manage to pull the score up with an amazing score in June.

Will you be getting your reference to mention your UMS marks?

Latest