The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sqwerty
anyone applying who hasn't taken economics A level?

I'm sure there are quite a few people without it, what subjects did you take? :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by tateco
I'm sure there are quite a few people without it, what subjects did you take? :smile:

I think I've talked to you before - maths chem history eng lit and further maths AS next year
Reply 22
Original post by sqwerty
I think I've talked to you before - maths chem history eng lit and further maths AS next year

That looks like a good combination!

Maths, Further Maths, Biology, English Literature and Economics for me. I hope to study all of them to A2.
Reply 23
Original post by Groat
That looks like a good combination!

Maths, Further Maths, Biology, English Literature and Economics for me. I hope to study all of them to A2.

Thanks, but everyone seems to be taking Economics which I guess puts them at an advantage, even if the universities don't say it's required/desirable
Reply 24
Original post by sqwerty
Thanks, but everyone seems to be taking Economics which I guess puts them at an advantage, even if the universities don't say it's required/desirable

Did your school offer Economics?

If not, you'll be fine; if they did, you'll have to ensure your personal statement gets across why you didn't choose it (without being negative).

I would advise you to ensure you make your personal statement as strong as possible by talking about why you want to do economics, showing you know exactly what the course entails. You may have a slight advantage over people who assume economics at university is the same as what they have studied at A-Level.

If that makes sense!
Reply 25
Original post by Groat
Did your school offer Economics?

If not, you'll be fine; if they did, you'll have to ensure your personal statement gets across why you didn't choose it (without being negative).

I would advise you to ensure you make your personal statement as strong as possible by talking about why you want to do economics, showing you know exactly what the course entails. You may have a slight advantage over people who assume economics at university is the same as what they have studied at A-Level.

If that makes sense!

Yeah they did, but I wasn't interested in it until we went over economic booms/collapses in History and started to read some economics books from that...so I assume that would go at least some of the way in explaining why I didn't take it. I actually did take it initially, but it clashed with History in my timetable so I had to drop one.

It makes sense and I hope you're correct haha, I've got plenty to read so I should be able to create a strong PS.
Reply 26
Original post by sqwerty
I wasn't interested in it until we went over economic booms/collapses in History and started to read some economics books from that...

This is a really good way to introduce how you got into economics from your history lessons, top universities love students to have 'intellectual curiosity' and you doing further reading stemming from an interest in economic history shows you have this.

I really wouldn't worry too much though, tbh I'd say not having further maths is more of a worry, so annoyed I didn't take it, but I also wanted to do something different when choosing my A-levels but loved economics so much that I changed my mind...
Reply 27
Original post by tateco
This is a really good way to introduce how you got into economics from your history lessons, top universities love students to have 'intellectual curiosity' and you doing further reading stemming from an interest in economic history shows you have this.

I really wouldn't worry too much though, tbh I'd say not having further maths is more of a worry, so annoyed I didn't take it, but I also wanted to do something different when choosing my A-levels but loved economics so much that I changed my mind...

Ah, that's good to hear :smile:

I'm annoyed I didn't take FM too, I've always loved Maths so I've no idea why I didn't take it, but you're doing it next year right? And you have Economics, you'll be fine
I'm thinking of doing economics in uni next year, but this thread makes me nervous. :redface:
Reply 29
Original post by sqwerty
Ah, that's good to hear :smile:

I'm annoyed I didn't take FM too, I've always loved Maths so I've no idea why I didn't take it, but you're doing it next year right? And you have Economics, you'll be fine

I'm doing AS next year yeah, along with A2 Chemistry, Maths and Economics so it should be a pretty strong set. If I could choose my A-levels again though I would do Economics, History, Maths and Further Maths...
Reply 30
Original post by tateco
I'm doing AS next year yeah, along with A2 Chemistry, Maths and Economics so it should be a pretty strong set. If I could choose my A-levels again though I would do Economics, History, Maths and Further Maths...

so what did you get in your Jan module results?
Reply 31
Original post by sqwerty
so what did you get in your Jan module results?

An average of 97.3% UMS with 100% UMS in Bio and Maths, you?
Reply 32
Original post by tateco
An average of 97.3% UMS with 100% UMS in Bio and Maths, you?

Wow nice. 94 in Maths and 90 in Chemistry
Reply 33
Original post by sqwerty
Wow nice. 94 in Maths and 90 in Chemistry

Cheers :smile: how many exams you got in summer?
Reply 34
Original post by tateco
Cheers :smile: how many exams you got in summer?

7. C2, S1, chem2, history x2, lit, and FP1 which I'm self teaching in 25 days. You?
Reply 35
Original post by sqwerty
7. C2, S1, chem2, history x2, lit, and FP1 which I'm self teaching in 25 days. You?

Good luck with FP1 - it's not that hard, actually! Don't forget the FP1 module is in June, so you could have some extra time after your other exams.

Which board are you on for English Literature?
Reply 36
Original post by Groat
Good luck with FP1 - it's not that hard, actually! Don't forget the FP1 module is in June, so you could have some extra time after your other exams.

Which board are you on for English Literature?

Aqa spec B. Grade boundaries are stupidly low which is weird. You?
Reply 37
Original post by sqwerty

:O how do you plan on teaching FP1 to your self in such a short space of time?!
Reply 38
Original post by sqwerty
anyone applying who hasn't taken economics A level?

Me! I also started off with economics but that's because they wouldn't let me do maths because it was full. So on the first day I went and begged them to let me switch from economics to maths.
Now I realise I should've dropped drama/english instead.
Still, I'm applying for joint honours with philosophy or possibly PPE so hopefully it won't hold me back too much.
Reply 39
Is further maths really that important? I'm only doing normal maths but I am doing both Stats 1 and Stats 2 which I figured are the best for economics? Also I'm not applying for straight economics, but philosophy and econ or PPE.

Latest

Trending

Trending