The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by jamiepango
Haha I see what you mean.. I think that would be too intense for me :wink: I have 8 exams in the summer, and 3 days where I have 2 exams on the same day :s-smilie:

I did C1 in January, and I'm doing C2 and S1 in the summer. Next year I'm doing AS further maths alongside my A2 maths so I'll have alot of modules next year..
How about you?

I'm doing Further Maths, however my school are slightly different in the way they teach it. I believe other schools ensure students have a Maths A2 at the end of this year, however I will have done:

C1

C2

S1

D1

M1

FP1

I'm aiming for 100/100 in all of them. :smile:
Reply 121
I think I would prefer my exams to be more spaced out so I have more time between each one. However my summer timetable is shocking as all my exams are in the space of a week :mad:

The january modules went quite well thanks, I got A's in maths and biology :smile:

Yeah, I also have 4 exams in the space of 2 days :| going to be horrible.
Reply 122
Original post by tateco
Yeah, I also have 4 exams in the space of 2 days :| going to be horrible.

The best advice I can give is to just stay calm. I had 4 GCSE exams in one day last summer, just keep cool and confident that you've done enough revision to pull you through!
Reply 123
Original post by Groat
I'm doing Further Maths, however my school are slightly different in the way they teach it. I believe other schools ensure students have a Maths A2 at the end of this year, however I will have done:

C1

C2

S1

D1

M1

FP1

That's a lot of maths modules :L Good luck! But I suppose you are doing further maths so that's the standard amount I suppose, how are you finding D1 and FP1 in comparison to C1 and C2? (I will be doing those two modules along with S2 next year if I opt for a further maths AS)
Reply 124
Original post by Groat
The best advice I can give is to just stay calm. I had 4 GCSE exams in one day last summer, just keep cool and confident that you've done enough revision to pull you through!

Yeah, I'm sure it won't be too bad, I'm just relieved none of them clash so I don't have to be doing exams or be in isolation for a block of 4 hours
Reply 125
What board are you both on for Biology? On OCR we have these bloody practicals worth 20% of our AS, it's gonna stop me from getting full UMS :/
Reply 126
I'm on OCR for Biology as well. We've recently done the coursework and the marks are being moderated soon! I reckon I'll be getting around 38/40 (raw) but after looking at the UMS conversions, that could sometimes be 40/40.

Original post by tateco
That's a lot of maths modules :L Good luck! But I suppose you are doing further maths so that's the standard amount I suppose, how are you finding D1 and FP1 in comparison to C1 and C2? (I will be doing those two modules along with S2 next year if I opt for a further maths AS)

To be honest, I don't find any of the modules harder than the rest. I believe Further Maths has got it's reputation for being ridiculously hard for the workload (and possibly A2 modules, however I'm not in a position to comment).

With the applied modules, it's just slightly tricker to get all the marks available as the methods are quite distinct. If you have an aptitude for maths, FP1 should also be fairly simple.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by Groat
I'm on OCR for Biology as well. We've recently done the coursework and the marks are being moderated soon! I reckon I'll be getting around 38/40 (raw) but after looking at the UMS conversions, that could sometimes be 40/40.

To be honest, I don't find any of the modules harder than the rest. I believe Further Maths has got it's reputation for being ridiculously hard for the workload (and possibly A2 modules, however I'm not in a position to comment).

With the applied modules, it's just slightly tricker to get all the marks available as the methods are quite distinct. If you have an aptitude for maths, FP1 should also be fairly simple.

Our Biology teacher didn't prepare us at all for the practicals and I ended up with 31/40 :| Got 90/90 in January though so it should even out...

That's good to know, people said the same about chemistry, and I don't see it at all
Reply 128
Original post by tateco
Our Biology teacher didn't prepare us at all for the practicals and I ended up with 31/40 :| Got 90/90 in January though so it should even out...

That's good to know, people said the same about chemistry, and I don't see it at all

Congratulations on the module mark, that's awesome! It's such a shame when teachers neglect coursework, it's like they don't realise some people are aiming for top marks.

Any tips for Biology revision? I breezed through GCSE but I feel it's going to be significantly harder to get the top marks, considering it's my weakest subject.
Original post by Groat

C1

C2

S1

D1

M1

FP1

Wow thats alot! Which applied module do you find hardest? And I'm sure you'll get 100/100 in at least 1 or 2, especially C1 :wink: Good Luck :biggrin:

Original post by tateco
What board are you both on for Biology? On OCR we have these bloody practicals worth 20% of our AS, it's gonna stop me from getting full UMS :/

I'm OCR as well and you think yours is bad, I'm on 28/40 and I'm doing another quantitative one tomorow which i need at least a 9 or 10 to boost mine up. And you got full marks on your exam but i got 81/90 so you are in a very good position :smile:
At least my teacher said that those who muck up on coursework seem to do well in the exam haha :biggrin:
Reply 130
Original post by Groat
Congratulations on the module mark, that's awesome! It's such a shame when teachers neglect coursework, it's like they don't realise some people are aiming for top marks.

Any tips for Biology revision? I breezed through GCSE but I feel it's going to be significantly harder to get the top marks, considering it's my weakest subject.

Yeah, do you have the OCR and Heinemann black and purple textbook? It's really good, I just use this for learning and for revision, with Biology it's actually easier than most subjects to get top UMS, because there are always relatively low grade boundaries due to the hoards of people that take it assuming its going to be easy. I just make notes and sometimes A3 posters on the topics, and did a couple of past papers (not actually that many though, for summer I'm going to try and do a lot more practice questions)

Have you done the first unit yet or are you doing both in summer? :smile:
Original post by Groat

OCR is so picky, so I think on top of doing the usual revision, make sure you look at the mark schemes for each paper. Try to make sure you know everything in your textbook and you should be fine :biggrin:
Reply 132
OCR is so picky, so I think on top of doing the usual revision, make sure you look at the mark schemes for each paper. Try to make sure you know everything in your textbook and you should be fine :biggrin:

I agree, that January module we did was such awful questions, I know they want to get you to apply your knowledge but some of the things they asked were just ridiculous
Reply 133
Original post by tateco
Yeah, do you have the OCR and Heinemann black and purple textbook? It's really good, I just use this for learning and for revision, with Biology it's actually easier than most subjects to get top UMS, because there are always relatively low grade boundaries due to the hoards of people that take it assuming its going to be easy. I just make notes and sometimes A3 posters on the topics, and did a couple of past papers (not actually that many though, for summer I'm going to try and do a lot more practice questions)

Have you done the first unit yet or are you doing both in summer? :smile:

Thanks for the tips, I have a CGP revision guide and the OCR textbook. I think I'll probably do every past paper possible! I've started revising already so I've got plenty of time.

I'm doing both in summer. I wish my school were more proactive in making us do more modules in January; I only took Economics, but I wish I'd have done Biology and some Maths modules!
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY ECONOMICS HOMEWORK ON THE MACROECONOMY! :biggrin: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30503995#post30503995
Reply 135
Original post by Groat
Thanks for the tips, I have a CGP revision guide and the OCR textbook. I think I'll probably do every past paper possible! I've started revising already so I've got plenty of time.

I'm doing both in summer. I wish my school were more proactive in making us do more modules in January; I only took Economics, but I wish I'd have done Biology and some Maths modules!

Just make sure you're not too reliant on the CGP guide, OCR do try and catch you out by testing you out on obscure things, so make sure you learn a decent textbook inside out :smile:

You're doing all 6 maths modules in summer :O I find it hard enough trying to prepare for two :L
Reply 136
Original post by tateco
Just make sure you're not too reliant on the CGP guide, OCR do try and catch you out by testing you out on obscure things, so make sure you learn a decent textbook inside out :smile:

You're doing all 6 maths modules in summer :O I find it hard enough trying to prepare for two :L

I'd like to believe that Maths is my strongest subject, so 6 modules doesn't seem that bad. The teaching at my school is pretty solid so I know all the content, I just need to practice my past papers. I feel the preparation for English Literature is going to be much worse.
Reply 137
Original post by sqwerty
I'm also thinking about History and Economics, but there's not many other places that offer it, and I don't know what I'd do for my personal statement...

I would guess that, were all of your applications for history and economics, then the content of the personal statement would be split fairly equally between the two. If you apply for either straight economics or history alongside it though, then I'd try to link your interest in history to economics, or vice versa - there would be plenty of scope for that, the two subjects are so closely linked.
Reply 138
Original post by Nacho King
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY ECONOMICS HOMEWORK ON THE MACROECONOMY! :biggrin: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30503995#post30503995

Posted in your thread
Reply 139
Original post by tateco
Posted in your thread

Do you know if you're cashing in your AS Levels this year? Apparently my school say they've been forced to this year. Unfortunately that means if I don't do as well as I hoped, I still have to certificate, with universities being able to see that if I retake.

It just adds pressure this summer to do well!

Latest

Trending

Trending