The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Groat
Do you know if you're cashing in your AS Levels this year? Apparently my school say they've been forced to this year. Unfortunately that means if I don't do as well as I hoped, I still have to certificate, with universities being able to see that if I retake.

It just adds pressure this summer to do well!

Yep, this year we will HAVE to put or AS grades on our uni application, I don't really mind too much as I normally do well first time well so it will probably improve my comparative advantage, I feel sorry for people doing all their modules in the summer though because by the time they know what to expect its too late
Reply 141
Original post by tateco
Yep, this year we will HAVE to put or AS grades on our uni application, I don't really mind too much as I normally do well first time well so it will probably improve my comparative advantage, I feel sorry for people doing all their modules in the summer though because by the time they know what to expect its too late

Yes, I certainly agree about the comparative advantage! I certainly don't mind all the people saying 'You've already started revising?' when they don't really understand the importance of getting top grades first time.

52 days until my first exam. That's plenty of time . . . I hope.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by Groat
Yes, I certainly agree about the comparative advantage! I certainly don't mind all the people saying 'You've already started revising?', when they don't really understand the importance of getting top grades first time.

52 days until my first exam. That's plenty of time . . . I hope.

I hate people that are shocked when I say I'm already revising, then they come out in January with UUUE and think I'm some kind of genius for getting good grades just because I revise, not many people in my school put much effort into school so it is hard to stay motivated. I started revising slowly about a month a go, and have just started on the maths past papers, I'm sure it'll all be fineeeeeeee (I hope)
Reply 143
Original post by tateco
I hate people that are shocked when I say I'm already revising, then they come out in January with UUUE and think I'm some kind of genius for getting good grades just because I revise, not many people in my school put much effort into school so it is hard to stay motivated. I started revising slowly about a month a go, and have just started on the maths past papers, I'm sure it'll all be fineeeeeeee (I hope)

As a person I'm all about the bigger picture - people who claim you're sad because you're revising early are fools. It'll be them who struggle to get into their favoured universities!

I'm looking forward to some great revision over the Easter break! :colondollar:
Reply 144
Original post by Groat

I am genuinely salivating at the thought
Reply 145
Original post by Acerbic
I would guess that, were all of your applications for history and economics, then the content of the personal statement would be split fairly equally between the two. If you apply for either straight economics or history alongside it though, then I'd try to link your interest in history to economics, or vice versa - there would be plenty of scope for that, the two subjects are so closely linked.

Thanks. I should be able to find enough courses that are similar - History and Economics, Economics and Economic History etc...not sure if straight economics is for me
Reply 146
Original post by sqwerty
Thanks. I should be able to find enough courses that are similar - History and Economics, Economics and Economic History etc...not sure if straight economics is for me

Don't forget that plenty of courses offer optional modules in 2nd and 3rd years where you could deviate towards aspects of Economic History, whilst doing a single honours Economics degree.
Reply 147
Original post by Groat
As a person I'm all about the bigger picture - people who claim you're sad because you're revising early are fools. It'll be them who struggle to get into their favoured universities!

After the Easter break will come the tricky trade-off between watching the royal wedding or doing a maths past paper... hmmm :L
Original post by Groat
I'm doing Further Maths, however my school are slightly different in the way they teach it. I believe other schools ensure students have a Maths A2 at the end of this year, however I will have done:

C1

C2

S1

D1

M1

FP1

I'm aiming for 100/100 in all of them. :smile:

Quite an 'easy' year. But next year I imagine will be a BIG step up!
Original post by tateco
Wow, you have such good grades, and you're going to have like 6 A-levels including 2 languages.... I don't think you need to worry about lack of economics... :L

MUCHAS GRACIAS :biggrin: but tbh probs wont get 6 A-levels as I'm deffo dropping either Physics or Chemistry next year (or both!) so my final A-levels will look like this: Maths + Further Maths, French, Spanish + maybe one other :smile:
A rather random mix - maths + languages - if I do say so myself, but they're subjects I enjoy, and along with further reading in economics, I feel I should be well placed to make an application :biggrin:
Reply 150
Original post by conzag123
MUCHAS GRACIAS :biggrin: but tbh probs wont get 6 A-levels as I'm deffo dropping either Physics or Chemistry next year (or both!) so my final A-levels will look like this: Maths + Further Maths, French, Spanish + maybe one other :smile:
A rather random mix - maths + languages - if I do say so myself, but they're subjects I enjoy, and along with further reading in economics, I feel I should be well placed to make an application :biggrin:

Cool :smile: I wouldn't recommend just doing those four to A-level though, as it might be seen as too narrow
Reply 151
Those who went, what did you think of LSE?
Original post by Groat
Those who went, what did you think of LSE?

I rather liked it. Whilst the accommodation was horrifyingly expensive, it consolidated my ideas about the economics 101 course. Plus, I found out that my A Level choices/A2 ideals are correct and I am now under the belief that I do stand a chance of getting an offer. It's given me a new-found motivation, although that just proves I'm not an ideal candidate. On the whole, I really enjoyed it :smile:

Also, I decided against SOAS the day they visited my college, though the negative first impression of a stroll along the campus did no wonders either. I always thought they were ok, they don't appeal to me at all.
Reply 153
Original post by SillyString
I rather liked it. Whilst the accommodation was horrifyingly expensive, it consolidated my ideas about the economics 101 course. Plus, I found out that my A Level choices/A2 ideals are correct and I am now under the belief that I do stand a chance of getting an offer. It's given me a new-found motivation, although that just proves I'm not an ideal candidate. On the whole, I really enjoyed it :smile:

Also, I decided against SOAS the day they visited my college, though the negative first impression of a stroll along the campus did no wonders either. I always thought they were ok, they don't appeal to me at all.

I just missed out on this day :/ What was said about A-level combinations?
Reply 154
Original post by tateco

That's a shame, it was absolutely packed! I'll try and remember all the information I absorbed!

It definitely consolidated that I want to, and am able to, study Economics at a top institution.

They didn't really mention A-Level combinations much; it was mentioned that a few less-traditional subjects can only count for one of the three subjects. The specific Economics talk did mention that A-Level Further Maths was preferred and if it was not offered at your school, it should be mentioned in the reference. If you take AS Further Maths only, you must achieve an A grade.

I didn't get a chance to see the accommodation - what was it like?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tateco

Ah don't worry about it, you seem fine to me :smile: - and for everyone who wants to know you don't need economics at A level, but they want you to read around the subject.
They placed the list of non-preferred subjects, explaining the combinations that are on the website, so anything traditional is fine. Maths is heavily relied upon so most offers require an A* in maths. It's pretty much implied that you need further maths at A level, either to AS or A2, otherwise your reason for not doing it must be along the lines of "my school doesn't offer it". You need an A in AS further maths if not taking it to A2, if taking it, I believe you merely need a pass. Taking it at A2 means you need 3 other A levels (inc. maths). They do look at consistent grades throughout school years which means they also take GCSE grades to some extent.

There are no interviews, it's all on your grades and personal statement (which should be 75% academic, 25% everything else)
Original post by Groat
That's a shame, it was absolutely packed! I'll try and remember all the information I absorbed!

It definitely consolidated that I want to, and am able to, study Economics at a top institution.

They didn't really mention A-Level combinations much; it was mentioned that a few subjects that are less-traditional can only count for one of the three subjects. The specific Economics talk did mention that A-Level Further Maths was preferred and if it was not offered at your school, it should be mentioned in the reference. If you take AS Further Maths only, you must achieve an A grade.

I didn't get a chance to see the accommodation - what was it like?

I only saw High Holborn, the closest and most expensive accommodation, as it was on the way to Leicester Sq. The common room was lively, and we saw the most modern floor, which was also coincidentally more expensive. :rolleyes: It's quite a small room, though it's all separated with a corridor, leading to the communal kitchen and toilet (there's a sink in the room). it costs £180 per week and is self-catering. I don't think it reflects the other (hopefully) cheaper halls. Quite a buzz of student life when you walk in though :smile:
Was anyone else in the economics lecture where all the lights kept trning off? :P
I thought the open day was quite informative, and I didn't know about the gathered field that they do for oxbridge applicants...
Reply 158
Original post by SillyString
I only saw High Holborn, the closest and most expensive accommodation, as it was on the way to Leicester Sq. The common room was lively, and we saw the most modern floor, which was also coincidentally more expensive. :rolleyes: It's quite a small room, though it's all separated with a corridor, leading to the communal kitchen and toilet (there's a sink in the room). it costs £180 per week and is self-catering. I don't think it reflects the other (hopefully) cheaper halls. Quite a buzz of student life when you walk in though :smile:

Yes, the price of accommodation was daunting! I believe UCL is slightly cheaper, though.

It's scary to think that the maintenance loan won't even cover accommodation, let alone living fees!
Reply 159
What open days have people got planned for after exams?

I'm definitely going to Bristol, then probably UCL and/or Nottingham

Latest

Trending

Trending