Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

iOS 5: The future of Apple's mobile devices - what does it need?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it needs proper multitasking, and the ability to TURN IT OFF when we want to run a RAM hogging app without killing the battery.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    thought so, thanks for clearing this up for me but..... what's wrong with them, why do they need updating? they look fine to me
    Because you HAVE to stop what you're doing to deal with them, rather simply being notified of a change. It would be like your email client opening up in front of you whenever you received anything. That's the main issue people have with it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    iPhone needs widgets. Those icons are so outdated.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1337)
    I constantly throw it about in hope it'll break so I can go to T-mobile and get a half decent phone
    Tmobile have some amazing deals for existing customers like me, but their new internet allowences really blow
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nizzay!)
    iPhone needs widgets. Those icons are so outdated.
    It would be great if the weather icon would update for example, the ipod icon could show currently playing album artwork, and they just generally had a bit more life in them.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    I agree, it needs proper multitasking
    But why?
    People keep on saying this, but they don't give any reason why they need proper multitasking.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Flash... And better developers.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    Flash... And better developers.
    Flash is overrated.

What is wrong with the developers exactly?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    But why?
    People keep on saying this, but they don't give any reason why they need proper multitasking.
    For me, uploading something onto soundcloud from nanostudio. It takes about 15 minutes during which I could do something else.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I constantly throw it about in hope it'll break so I can go to T-mobile and get a half decent phone
    What do you expect?! It's a low-end phone! Android on the whole is a wonderful platform but only if you have a high-end device.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me, uploading something onto soundcloud from nanostudio. It takes about 15 minutes during which I could do something else.
    Can they not do that using the API's apple provide?
    "Task finishing - If your app is in mid-task when your customer leaves it, the app can now keep running to finish the task."

edit - just done a bit of a google, and the task finishing api is limited to 10 minutes. So if the developer has bothered to use it, then you can do what you are talking about, but only for ten minutes. So really, in your situation apple just need to change the API (and for the dev to implement it). No need for proper multitasking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Can they not do that using the API's apple provide?
    "Task finishing - If your app is in mid-task when your customer leaves it, the app can now keep running to finish the task."

edit - just done a bit of a google, and the task finishing api is limited to 10 minutes. So if the developer has bothered to use it, then you can do what you are talking about, but only for ten minutes. So really, in your situation apple just need to change the API (and for the dev to implement it). No need for proper multitasking.
    Well if this is the case, I was wrong, I thought apps couldn't continue doing anything after I had quit them. Sorry
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if this is the case, I was wrong, I thought apps couldn't continue doing anything after I had quit them. Sorry
    Apps like lastfm and capital can stream audio
    GPS nav apps can continue giving guidance when closed.
    But my closed I assume you mean pressing the home button once, not deleting from multi tasking bar.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    What do you expect?! It's a low-end phone! Android on the whole is a wonderful platform but only if you have a high-end device.
    It's not that low end though. Last time I checked a phone recycling website, they'd give me £85 for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    Apps like lastfm and capital can stream audio
    GPS nav apps can continue giving guidance when closed.
    But my closed I assume you mean pressing the home button once, not deleting from multi tasking bar.
    I actually just realised you could do that. I did do a bit of research and all I found was that you couldn't stop multitasking. Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    tbh theres nothing it really needs that cant be done with jailbreaking?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    eww thats well annoying, can't u just press cancel & deal with it later?
    That's what I meant by dealing with it, you can cancel it but it's already stopped you doing whatever you're doing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timkench)
    tbh theres nothing it really needs that cant be done with jailbreaking?
    True.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Proper widgets, improved notifications. Something other than just pages and pages of app icons.

To be honest I think iOS is looking stale, dated and clunky all round. It was the dog's bits in 2007 but Android has it beaten on customisation and notifications, and WP7 is rather slick as well.

Bring on the neg rep but Android is absolute ****. It's slow, open apps market etc. makes it liable to viruses and so on.

I have an HTC Wildfire and it's terrible

Any tips?
    The Wildfire is a steaming pile. No wonder your Android experience has been so bad
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Proper widgets, improved notifications. Something other than just pages and pages of app icons.

To be honest I think iOS is looking stale, dated and clunky all round. It was the dog's bits in 2007 but Android has it beaten on customisation and notifications, and WP7 is rather slick as well.

The Wildfire is a steaming pile. No wonder your Android experience has been so bad

Have to disagree with the iOS comments, although I can't really give it a fair comparison to Android.

Yeah I absolutely ****ing hate my phone

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2011
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.