Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The 'Book vs E-Book' debate

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
  • View Poll Results: E-book or Real book???
    E-book
    25.90%
    Real book
    74.10%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know of people that like to read BUT hate going to a book shop.. I actually like it, to the point that I prefer buying books than buying clothes..
    My point is that compared to going all the way into town, going to a shop, waiting in line, etc a quick 2 minute browse through the amazon kindle store( where you can read reviews, a passage from the book, Is a much better and efficient system
    Point, but there's always the possibility of running out of batteries
    True, however there is also a possibility of forgetting your book etc, and charging items is a part of life, i have to do it with my phone/ipod etc
    You can't get second hand books on kindle.. can you? Besides the kindle edition is what, 3 dollars cheaper? That's what I've seen in most books...
    I dislike buying second hand books, as the publisher/author gets nothing from the sale
    Do you even read the free classics? I have a few classics downloaded and I haven't even started them haha
    Of course, this year alone i have read count of Monte Christo and origin of the species
    and this is an advantage because..? Unless you are reading the Kamasutra or something
    I recently read the harry potter series, as a grown man i would be embarrassed sitting in public reading it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kindles are great if you like to read older novels which have gone out of copyright. I prefer real books, but I have a Kindle so I can get older novels for free.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i love showing off what I am reading to people on the train and bus. Cant do that with an ebook. Is that just me lol?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Both. I have a Sony ebook reader for travelling and stacking up with books, as well as cases full of regular books at home. You can't beat the smell, feel and look of a paperback (hardbacks can sod off!) and I tend to pick up a bunch every time I go into a book shop... but ebooks are amazing. Actually easier to read in some situations.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only way I was able to use my Kindle at the beginning was with a leather case that made it feel like a book.

Felt the same as you originally though; wasn't sure if I could give up the real deal. Do love my Kindle now.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love my Kindle! I got it for a Christmas present and it was very much welcomed as I'd run out of space on my bookcase and had no room for any more books.
    I do miss the feel of an actual book sometimes but I love the fact that I can almost instantly have a new book at my fingertips to read

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenzic)
    Get an ebook, perhaps the kindle (£89). You can basically have anybook for free if you know where to look :pirate3:. Also if you do buy this, get the little light for it as it doesn't have a backlight.
    I am all for kindle, but encouraging people to download books that authors spend years writing is wrong. I am sure there lots of free books on kindle store anyways but if you must pay for a e-book that cost 2 quid please do
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had an e-reader for Christmas and whilst I can see the advantages of using one I have to say I've hardly used it. For me nothing is better than having a physical book, the smell of the pages, the fact you can annotate and underline wherever you wish and the illustrations make it impossible for me to properly switch to e-books. Besides I have somewhat of a little library of books coming along, eventually I'd like to have a room full of them, so buying books on my e-reader makes me a little sad

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 22, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.