The Student Room Group

Can't remove my earrings! =/

Hey, I got my second's pierced quite a few months ago now. They aren't infected at all and cause me no pain. However I actually can't take them out, the clasp at the back is extremley hard to pull off.
I'm going to New York over easter and am hoping to be able to take them out before then due to the metal detectors at the airports.
Does anyone have any tips for me to get them out?

Scroll to see replies

lube :wink:
Reply 2
did you get them done at claires?
i struggled to get mine off, but you just really have to give them a good tug at the back, just be really careful!
Twist them around and then get someone else to do it for you. They'll be able to get a proper pull on them at the right angle :smile:
Original post by Shippy
i struggled to get mine off, but you just really have to give them a good tug at the back, just be really careful!

That happened with mine when I got them done a couple of years back. Ended up getting my nanna to pull the backs off.
Reply 5
Original post by Shippy

Yep they were done at claires haha!
I'm scared to tug them too hard =/
they might have little clips in them. just pinch it as youre pulling it out. id recommend getting different backs as i find butterfly ones are incredibly hard to get off. ive always thought it was like a safety thing to stop little kids pulling them off and swallowing them or something
Ear we go again...
Reply 8
Hahaha, try twisting them as someone else said then try pulling at them again. To make sure you DON'T hurt yourself, get a good grip of the front of the earring then try pulling quite hard, hold it at as straight an angle as you can :smile:
Reply 9
They are extremely unlikely to be detected by the walk-through scanners - I have 13 piercings and have never set off alarms. There's a chance that the hand-held scanners would pick them up, but then it's obvious that it's your earrings.

And this is one of the reasons why you shouldn't have your ears done with a gun...awful jewellery.
Reply 10
Original post by Soph1990
Hey, I got my second's pierced quite a few months ago now. They aren't infected at all and cause me no pain. However I actually can't take them out, the clasp at the back is extremley hard to pull off.
I'm going to New York over easter and am hoping to be able to take them out before then due to the metal detectors at the airports.
Does anyone have any tips for me to get them out?

You need to get someone who you trust and who is strong enough to grab both the back and the front and pull them apart.. it's because they use the safer clasps when piercing ears which is why it's a bit harder to remove.. hope this helps :smile:
They categorically will not set off metal detectors in airports.

Oh, and exactly what Kate said - gun piercings = terrible "jewellery" - go to a reputable place next time and have needle piercings.
Original post by Ilora-Danon
They categorically will not set off metal detectors in airports.

Oh, and exactly what Kate said - gun piercings = terrible "jewellery" - go to a reputable place next time and have needle piercings.

Oh and by the way, even if a metal detector did go off they'd quickly realise it's earrings and let you off right?
you won't set off the metal detector with earrings, don't worry... but i had the same problem getting mine off. just yank and twist as hard as you can. make sure you have a good grip on the front so it doesn't hurt too much.
Tweezers are a good option. My mum used them when yanking mine out for the first time.
it s better to go at doctor
This happened to me too, and my Mum had to get the backs off in the end. It hurt a little but in the studs they pierce with there's like a little ridge to stop them from falling out while they're trying to heal.. so they're not really made to "come out" ha ha! Brute force is the only thing that'll do it, might be a bit painful but will only last a few seconds and all others are obv easier to remove.. get someone else to do it for you, and ask them to just tug in one sharp fast movement from BOTH sides so they don't just rip out x
Reply 17
It'll hurt, but you have to really squeeze the backs off.
They're meant to be in tight.

If its a butterfly clip, push stud into the lobe, and pull from the other side. Failing this, turn it, it might loosen it.
Water won't help :smile:
Haha I got my first earring and they were stuck but I didn't trust anyone but Claire's to take them out so I asked and they did it for me but they weren't aloud to take the front out for some reson so I easily got the front out 😂👌🏼
Reply 19
I know I also have REALLY hard earrings here's a tip get a hook.Wait do you have butterfly backs cause this is how you get butter. Backs out strap the hook on one of the circles pull or play tug of war and pull with them!

Quick Reply

Latest