The Student Room Group

Issues with References

I could really use some help with this as its a major sticking factor in my future plans and could affect them greatly.

I am applying to my local university as a mature student, part time, on the Science foundation year course.

I have worked hard for the past 2 years in a scientific field in a job i once adored, and am good at what i do. However, my boss has been causing problems for me recently which has resulted in me taking a leave of absence using a combination of Annual leave and liu time until it is either resolved or i can find another job. This has clearly caused tension and resulted in a meeting in which my boss told me i "might as well not bother applying for another job as any references will be unsatisfactory"... amongst other things.

This job is really important regarding the course as i dont have much going qualification wise for me and it is realistically the only thing on my CV science wise which will get me on the course.

I have requested references from my boss for the jobs which i have applied for and after seeing what has been written in one of them, she has stuck to her word. Didn't make any effort to point out what i'm good at and has instead focused entierly on my weaknesses. In short, she has provided me with really crap references and destroyed any hope of me getting any of these jobs.

So my question is, what do i do? I really want to go to uni and better myself and this would be the perfect opportunity. I KNOW i am capable of learning and succeeding on the course and am willing to do anything to prove to the uni i am the student to pick when looking through the applications. But without a good reference from the only job i have scientific experience in it basically counts for **** all.

Help would really be appreciated. But short of faking a reference myself or holding a gun to this bitches head i am clueless with regards on what to do!

:mad: :confused:
Try to get a reference from someone other than your boss, say a colleague or someone you could name as a mentor, this is what I did once as I didn't leave on the best terms as I accidently texted my boss his an idiot which at the time I said in the most casual sense however in writing it didn't look good.

Universities will appreciate this as much as any other person providing the reference as they hope to get this information from someone who know's you well enough to comment on yours skills at work and technically this isn't faking it or holding guns to anyone's head lol

Hope this helps and that it all goes well for you
Reply 2
Original post by MissGeekness
I could really use some help with this as its a major sticking factor in my future plans and could affect them greatly.

I am applying to my local university as a mature student, part time, on the Science foundation year course.

I have worked hard for the past 2 years in a scientific field in a job i once adored, and am good at what i do. However, my boss has been causing problems for me recently which has resulted in me taking a leave of absence using a combination of Annual leave and liu time until it is either resolved or i can find another job. This has clearly caused tension and resulted in a meeting in which my boss told me i "might as well not bother applying for another job as any references will be unsatisfactory"... amongst other things.

This job is really important regarding the course as i dont have much going qualification wise for me and it is realistically the only thing on my CV science wise which will get me on the course.

I have requested references from my boss for the jobs which i have applied for and after seeing what has been written in one of them, she has stuck to her word. Didn't make any effort to point out what i'm good at and has instead focused entierly on my weaknesses. In short, she has provided me with really crap references and destroyed any hope of me getting any of these jobs.

So my question is, what do i do? I really want to go to uni and better myself and this would be the perfect opportunity. I KNOW i am capable of learning and succeeding on the course and am willing to do anything to prove to the uni i am the student to pick when looking through the applications. But without a good reference from the only job i have scientific experience in it basically counts for **** all.

Help would really be appreciated. But short of faking a reference myself or holding a gun to this bitches head i am clueless with regards on what to do!

There's some good advice from Shamzmix in this thread - finding someone else to write a reference for you may be the best option.

You should, however, also be aware that your employer is walking a legal tightrope by giving you such a poor reference and it sounds to me, legally unqualified though I am, that you may have a good claim to suing for negligence. Take a read of this (from Pinsent Masons, one of the top law firms in the UK):

http://www.out-law.com/page-5851

I'd draw your attention to the following parts, specifically:

"Even if the reference is factually accurate, the employer must avoid creating an unfair impression of the employee concerned, for example by focussing on negative facts and omitting to include more positive facts about the employee...The employer's obligation is merely to provide a true, accurate and fair reference that does not give a misleading impression."

It certainly sounds to me, from what you've said, that your employer is omitting certain positive aspects of your work in favour of negative aspects, therefore giving an untrue and misleading representation of your character.

I'm not suggesting that you take legal action against your employer, but a gentle reminder that, should they choose to give you a reference (and they're not necessarily obliged to do so), it must be unabised and fair, may be a useful step if this reference is really causing you problems.
(edited 13 years ago)
Your boss is an idiot, and once HR get wind of it they'll carpet him. There's so many legal issues surrounding employment these days that your boss, in all likelihood, wont have a clue about them - thats why HR departments exist.
Reply 4
I work in HR, and I second what TomU and Heinz the German have said - the behaviour of your boss is disgraceful, and stupid - tantamount to constructive dismissal. I would, in the short term suggest Shazmiz's solution as references will be needed very shortly, however if there is a HR department I would also suggest that you bring the problem to their attention, as it is very unlikely that your boss consulted with them before writing the duff references.
Reply 5

You need some HR advice and pronto. If your relationship with your boss is so bad that you are using up annual leave etc to keep away from her, this is bullying/harassment and grievance territory. Unless your organisation is a really small one, you must have access to this somehow. Also, what about Occupational Health? This is quite separate from the reference issue, btw.

Definitely don't even think about faking a reference - this 'treatment' would have far worse consequences than the 'disease'. Your boss is required to write you a fair reference and if the one you have seen so far demonstrates that she is not doing this, you have just cause to take issue with it.
speaking as someone who has a number of problems with references, I can assure you that if you're totally honest with the University they will do their best to help you. I am now in my first year at university and can only say they have bent over backwards to accommodate me, no matter how bad you think your references may be I can assure you there are others out there who have far worse.

From my own experience I urge you to be open and honest, this is by far and away the best policy.

Best wishes
Reply 7
A university reference is a bit different to a work one in that it is more of a character reference, if you are a mature student. So while they suggest that you use an employer or someone who was your manager, it's not quite as rigorous as for a job interview where you'd need previous employer. I had the problem of mostly having been freelance for the last few years, so didn't really have a boss to ask. I used a colleague from a previous job instead.

As for the rest, it does sound like the boss is totally out of order, and by rights they should have the book thrown at them. But probably the best thing you can do is just get out of there and put it behind you. Get a supervisory colleague or someone from a previous job to do you a character reference, and don't worry about it being an obstacle to you moving on.
Reply 8
Hello everyone. Firstly i would like to thank you all for your lovely advice and support! I was feeling completely hopeless last week, but i am now feeling a lot more confident in my ability to do this!

The references have now been sorted, i have one ref from someone who is technically a colleague (they work in the dept next door) and one from a part time employer - have also been moonlighting in a pub for a bit of extra pocket money :smile:

As for my boss and my job? I've quit - in fact they should be receiving my letter of resignation this afternoon. The problems i have had with my employer go much much deeper - I'm currently pregnant which has been a bone of contention with her because "oh for god sake now EVERYONE is on maternity leave, thats just great" and "Morning sickness is never bad enough to to take time off work for, how ridiculous. I will be needing proof from your GP" plus various other little niggles which built up into one large problem.

I have contacted not only my HR and occupational health dept but am also seeking independent advice outside of the organisation (I work for the NHS - can you beleive it?) and all have been very very supportive. I am now calling constructive dismissal on them and hopefully they will pay up the money they owe me. Thats all i want, im not looking for ££££'s worth of compensation or anything.

Now that i'm free and i know i dont have to go back to that hideous place i can concentrate on the more important things in life - having my Baby and enjoying being a new mum and beginning my studies!

Which brings ne to my next task - How to write my personal statement! I'm a mature student wishing to study a part time foundation science course - and i can't find advice to match that anywhere :P

Thank you all again for your lovely support and advice. I feel ready to fight it again and i know from the summer onwards life is going to be brilliant :smile:
Reply 9
Hello everyone. Firstly i would like to thank you all for your lovely advice and support! I was feeling completely hopeless last week, but i am now feeling a lot more confident in my ability to do this!

The references have now been sorted, i have one ref from someone who is technically a colleague (they work in the dept next door) and one from a part time employer - have also been moonlighting in a pub for a bit of extra pocket money :smile:

As for my boss and my job? I've quit - in fact they should be receiving my letter of resignation this afternoon. The problems i have had with my employer go much much deeper - I'm currently pregnant which has been a bone of contention with her because "oh for god sake now EVERYONE is on maternity leave, thats just great" and "Morning sickness is never bad enough to to take time off work for, how ridiculous. I will be needing proof from your GP" plus various other little niggles which built up into one large problem.

I have contacted not only my HR and occupational health dept but am also seeking independent advice outside of the organisation (I work for the NHS - can you beleive it?) and all have been very very supportive. I am now calling constructive dismissal on them and hopefully they will pay up the money they owe me. Thats all i want, im not looking for ££££'s worth of compensation or anything.

Now that i'm free and i know i dont have to go back to that hideous place i can concentrate on the more important things in life - having my Baby and enjoying being a new mum and beginning my studies!

Which brings ne to my next task - How to write my personal statement! I'm a mature student wishing to study a part time foundation science course - and i can't find advice to match that anywhere :P

Thank you all again for your lovely support and advice. I feel ready to fight it again and i know from the summer onwards life is going to be brilliant :smile:
Sounds like you've got one hell of a case to me!

On the personal statement bit - just write about why you want to do the course and what you have done to prepare yourself for it. If you want someone to look it over, post it in the PS Help Forum where only you and the PS Helpers can see it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending