The Student Room Group

HELP! I have no idea what to take!

I am actually going nuts trying to decide my subjects for next year. I'm doing Higher Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and German at the moment, and I want to go and study Pharmacy at Uni (At the moment I'm seriously liking the look of Bath and Cardiff). I got A's in all my prelims (although I got 70% in Biology so I only scraped an A) but have no idea what I should do next year. I know I want to do Advanced Higher Chemistry and Higher History, but other than that I haven't the foggiest idea. I was thinking that AH Biology would help for Pharmacy, but I don't really get it at the moment and the teachers drive me up the wall. Also fancy Advanced Maths or English, but I'm not sure what the courses are like, and I was thinking that maybe AH English and Higher History would be way too much writing.

So, is anyone studying Advanced Higher Maths, Biology or English, and if you are, could you maybe give me some advice on what to take? I've got a few more days to hand in my choice form, but I am so confused! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by NaturalDisaster
I was thinking that AH Biology would help for Pharmacy

Really? Whatever made you think that?
Original post by Pedrobear
Really? Whatever made you think that?

Spider senses.
Reply 3
Spider senses.

oic

Okay. Calmly.

You want to do pharmacy.

Your options allow the opportunity to do Advanced Highers in Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry.

You know all of this already.

You manage to make two paragraphs out of this.

At present I do not understand.
Reply 4
You will probably need 3 AH's for Bath and Cardiff. Check the prospectuses for universities you would like to go to and make your choices accordingly.
Original post by Pedrobear
oic

Okay. Calmly.

You want to do pharmacy.

Your options allow the opportunity to do Advanced Highers in Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry.

You know all of this already.

You manage to make two paragraphs out of this.

At present I do not understand.

Yeah, I generally talk too much. It's one of my (many) failings. Just wanted to see if anyone could tell me a bit about the courses. What they're like, how difficult they are, all the usual stuff.

And the second paragraph was only a couple of sentences, no big deal.
(edited 13 years ago)
I am actually going nuts trying to decide my subjects for next year. I'm doing Higher Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and German at the moment, and I want to go and study Pharmacy at Uni (At the moment I'm seriously liking the look of Bath and Cardiff). I got A's in all my prelims (although I got 70% in Biology so I only scraped an A) but have no idea what I should do next year. I know I want to do Advanced Higher Chemistry and Higher History, but other than that I haven't the foggiest idea. I was thinking that AH Biology would help for Pharmacy, but I don't really get it at the moment and the teachers drive me up the wall. Also fancy Advanced Maths or English, but I'm not sure what the courses are like, and I was thinking that maybe AH English and Higher History would be way too much writing.

So, is anyone studying Advanced Higher Maths, Biology or English, and if you are, could you maybe give me some advice on what to take? I've got a few more days to hand in my choice form, but I am so confused! Thanks :biggrin:

I'm studying Advanced Higher English this year, and although it's a lot of work, it's far more interesting than Higher (in my opinion at least). You study works by two different authors (of which your teacher usually decides) - for example, we have to do two large books and about a collection of poems. Then you can either opt for Creative Writing or Textual Analysis. Creative Writing is a folio of two (I think) pieces of work that you submit on the exam day (but you prepare beforehand), and Textual Analysis involves you answering an essay question on an unseen piece of either prose or poetry (you choose!). So if you go for C.W you only do an hour and a half exam, which is basically one essay on one of your authors (again, you choose which). If you do T.A it's the full three hours.

The dissertation is really good - you can choose nearly any author you like (and you get a massive list to choose from if you're stuck). You get to use tons of articles or books to help with this, and I found the more in-depth analysis at Advanced Higher to be really interesting.

Hope this helps. If you want to ask anything about Advanced Higher English feel free to ask me. :smile:
Original post by draconia_93
I'm studying Advanced Higher English this year, and although it's a lot of work, it's far more interesting than Higher (in my opinion at least). You study works by two different authors (of which your teacher usually decides) - for example, we have to do two large books and about a collection of poems. Then you can either opt for Creative Writing or Textual Analysis. Creative Writing is a folio of two (I think) pieces of work that you submit on the exam day (but you prepare beforehand), and Textual Analysis involves you answering an essay question on an unseen piece of either prose or poetry (you choose!). So if you go for C.W you only do an hour and a half exam, which is basically one essay on one of your authors (again, you choose which). If you do T.A it's the full three hours.

The dissertation is really good - you can choose nearly any author you like (and you get a massive list to choose from if you're stuck). You get to use tons of articles or books to help with this, and I found the more in-depth analysis at Advanced Higher to be really interesting.

Hope this helps. If you want to ask anything about Advanced Higher English feel free to ask me. :smile:

Thanks. :biggrin: That's really helpful. Although I think because English is quite subjective and I'm aiming for all A's next year as well, I'm going to go for Maths. It's easier to revise in my opinion, and it was my best grade in the Prelims (although my 2nd one is coming up in a few weeks) so I'll be best off taking that. I'll be gutted to give up English though. Thanks for the info. :biggrin:
Thanks. :biggrin: That's really helpful. Although I think because English is quite subjective and I'm aiming for all A's next year as well, I'm going to go for Maths. It's easier to revise in my opinion, and it was my best grade in the Prelims (although my 2nd one is coming up in a few weeks) so I'll be best off taking that. I'll be gutted to give up English though. Thanks for the info. :biggrin:

No problem! :smile: But to be honest I don't think English is as subjective as people think - if you know the texts and have had plenty of practice you should do well - but you should go with whatever you find you're best at. If you enjoy Maths and are good at it then Advanced Higher shouldn't be too bad I guess. I haven't heard anything that bad about it really compared to some of the other Advanced Highers. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending