The Student Room Group

RAF Airmen Selection Test (AST)!!

Hi Everyone,

ANY ADVICE FOR THE RAF AIRMEN SELECTION TEST WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
!

If you have read looked at my previous post you probably know I have applied for the RAF and am hoping to train to be a General Technician (Electrical) :smile:

... Anyway I got an email today which said that my local AFCO have received my application form and that they will be in touch with in 7 days. This will be to let me know what date my AST is!! :eek:

I am guessing It would look better if you wore a suit, however my prom suit is now too small so I need a new one!! Which one do you think is nicest?? I am thinking Navy :biggrin:

Black Suit - http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/men/tailoring/9/2

Navy Suit - http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/men/tailoring/4/1

Well back on subject I just wondered apart from GCSE Bitesize, S-Cool, My Maths & Old GCSE Revision Guides. Is there much else I can do to revise????

I am really worried about Electrical Comprehension as my trade will be electrical based. So in the AST is it literally basic GCSE physics? Could anyone give me any other websites books I haven't mentioned???

Also how can I improve my memory as I didn't do well (2/4) in the practice questions which were in the leaflet they emailed me.

Are the practice questions in the leaflet as hard as I will get in the real AST? Because I worked out I got 86.95% and 100% on Electrical Comprehension (I guessed one to do with Anodes and Cathodes) However there wasn't the full amount of questions but I did spend about the right time I should have for each question I answered!!

If this helps I got a A in C. Science & Add. Science, B in Maths , C in English Lang.

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE FOR THE HARDER MATHS & ELECTRICAL SIDE OF THE TEST IN PARTICULAR!!
:confused:

:crossedf: I will pass!!

Thanks in Advance

Cheers
Curt
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I rang my afco and asked if i needed to wear a suit and they said wear whatever your comfortable in. 2 people turned up in suits on the day, one was sent home straight away because he didnt bring gcse certificates, and the second failed the ast for what he wanted to do.
I did have to wear a suit for my interview 2 days later though
Reply 2
Oh right :L I will make sure I am prepared then :wink: lol !! & from what you have said I am guessing the real thing is very hard!! What role did you apply for?
Reply 3
Thought you needed A levels for airman? anyway, I would wear the black suit :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by goerigi

Original post by goerigi
do you only have 4 gcses?

Sorry goerigi, I didn't bother to mention all my my GCSE's... :laugh:

But I have got 11 GCSE passes: 4A*'s, 4A's, 1B, 2C's
Reply 5
Original post by Rothers

Original post by Rothers
Thought you needed A levels for airman? anyway, I would wear the black suit :biggrin:

I am applying for a ground trade. I just put down what it says on the website and leaftlet.

Aptitude Test Info - http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/applicationzone/aptitudetests.cfm

General Technician (E) which I have applied for - http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/gentechelectrical.cfm

I don't know if that will help you understand a bit more? :smile: I didn't mean the test for an officers or NCA's though haha Sorry!!
Reply 6
I applied for mover and scored high 60s and low 70s on all the group scores and
7s on the specific skills, so I qualified for nearly all trades.
I would say it wasnt easy for me because im 27 and havent been at school for 11 years, so was difficult to get back into. I would say if youre younger and was at school or whatever recently it would probably be easier. Main thing is to manage yor time well. I got caught out on the first few sections because I taking too long on certain questions.

If you are going to wear a suit I wouldnt just buy one off the internet and hope for the best. Id want to try it on first. If you wear it for the ast and its uncomfy it might put you off and we were told once the test started you were not to remove any jackets or clothing
Reply 7
Original post by seanrw

Original post by seanrw
I applied for mover and scored high 60s and low 70s on all the group scores and
7s on the specific skills, so I qualified for nearly all trades.
I would say it wasnt easy for me because im 27 and havent been at school for 11 years, so was difficult to get back into. I would say if youre younger and was at school or whatever recently it would probably be easier. Main thing is to manage yor time well. I got caught out on the first few sections because I taking too long on certain questions.

If you are going to wear a suit I wouldnt just buy one off the internet and hope for the best. Id want to try it on first. If you wear it for the ast and its uncomfy it might put you off and we were told once the test started you were not to remove any jackets or clothing

:Well I dropped out of Y12 at college about 4 months ago & I have been doing a bit of light revision for about a week :smile: It is surprising what you forget though in a few months :s-smilie: So I can imagine it been pretty hard for you :/

Yes I know what you mean I finish work early tomorrow so I am going to pop in to town and to go get some more information about my chosen trade etc. from AFCO. Then I think I will go to next and try I few suits on :wink:
Reply 8
BTW Thanks for all the great replies everyone. :biggrin:
Reply 9
I would advice wear a suit or dress shirt and tie atleast for AST and every stage, they do keep an eye on how you look. And take all documents u can think of even if u dont need them.

But id wear a suit even for ast as you are going in for a job in which you will always wear a uniform so why not start now?
Reply 10
****!! They rung me up today my aptitude is on Wednesday 8:30AM :eek: I really desperately need some advice on on what I can use to revise and links for any practice tests anyone has done!! :confused: Especially Electrical Comprehension. :s-smilie:

Help!!!!!!!!
Reply 11
Original post by c_odee

Original post by c_odee
I would advice wear a suit or dress shirt and tie atleast for AST and every stage, they do keep an eye on how you look. And take all documents u can think of even if u dont need them.

But id wear a suit even for ast as you are going in for a job in which you will always wear a uniform so why not start now?

Hi c_odee, When they rung me up today I asked him and he said it is not necessary and I can come in normal casual clothes. I am proper ****ing myself though, I am worried incase I end up failing!!!!!! :s-smilie: :'(
Reply 12
Original post by currtbenton
Hi c_odee, When they rung me up today I asked him and he said it is not necessary and I can come in normal casual clothes. I am proper ****ing myself though, I am worried incase I end up failing!!!!!! :s-smilie: :'(

What first of all you want to make a good impression wear a suit it's not too much to ask.

With regards to electrical comprehension as long as you have a good understanding at GCSE level which you have you should be okay
Sorry goerigi, I didn't bother to mention all my my GCSE's... :laugh:

But I have got 11 GCSE passes: 4A*'s, 4A's, 1B, 2C's

hahaha, oh right that makes more sense, but yeah those are good grades you should pass the aptitude test pretty well :smile:

(i read it earlier and was going to say the same thing as goerigi) :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
I am applying for a ground trade. I just put down what it says on the website and leaftlet.

Aptitude Test Info - http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/applicationzone/aptitudetests.cfm

General Technician (E) which I have applied for - http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/gentechelectrical.cfm

I don't know if that will help you understand a bit more? :smile: I didn't mean the test for an officers or NCA's though haha Sorry!!

Ah that's cool man, Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Having sat the AST last Thursday as a filter test for SNCO ATC it was rather easy. I had an AA in Science GCSE double award, and an E in AS Physics (Lmao) and managed to score a 9 on the Electrical section (I think its out of 10) which I didnt even need for my trade etc so it's not that difficult if you have a GCSE understanding.

From what I remember of that part there was a few questions on electrical circuits where there would be VERY basic circuits involving lights, a battery and a few switches and you had to say what would happen to the lights if switch x y z was switched on off.

There was another bit about basic resistance, and about readings on ammeters depending on where they were in the circuit.

Also i'm fairly sure there was a question like how current is measured etc.

If you are going for a Technician spot you should have more than a basic grasp on it anyway and should destroy the test!

For the maths side you get 4 minutes to answer some very simple maths questions, revise adding basic fractions 1 / 2 + 3 /2 for example, and fast addition of decimals. To put it into perspective I finished within 2 minutes.

This website is fairly helpful for getting a general idea of what some of the questions are like http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm.Try the numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning ones from that, but bear in mind that reasoning is a hard thing to learn by revision, you have probably got the natural aptitude to do it anyway!
Reply 16
Also, I would definitely recommend wearing a suit this is the first chance you have to make an impression on the people you are going to be employed by. There will be a part at the start where you are in a room on your own with someone while they go through all of your forms, you want to come across as a proffesional individual as they will probably be judging you etc. Also do NOT forget ANY forms, certificates etc. I didnt bring my paper part of my drivers licence, and didn't bring my NHS card or NI card (Although I had the numbers) and felt like a right idiot. Whereas someone didn't fill in the AFCO 4 and AFCO 4 supplement form, and we had to wait 30 minutes while they filled that in!
Reply 17
I would recommend taking a nice folder with all your certificates, ID documentation and everything else they require you to bring, it makes it look like you have made the effort and that you are keen.
I had a few clumsy moments, I didn't have my original Birth Certificate, only a certified photo-copy.

In regards to the suit, I didn't wear one, instead I work smart shirt and tie (good creased shirt) makes you look well disciplined, firmly pressed trousers and polished shoes.

Like many have mentioned above, they are a big recruitment agency, make your first impression count. Think ahead, try not to ask silly questions and of course turn up on time, I had a few candidates at my AST turn up like they had just woken up, they were later dismissed.

Overall, the very best of luck.
Reply 18
And to add to my above post, like TsarLZ stated, revise basic Mathematics including Formula, decimals, fractions and algebra, but don't worry they are only basic questions.

However, don't think that the test may be easy, even though TsarLZ mentioned it was for him/her it may be tricky for others, (Me for instance), I failed by few marks for WSOp and I was devastated, so don't take it for granted.
Reply 19
Original post by TsarLZ

Original post by TsarLZ
Having sat the AST last Thursday as a filter test for SNCO ATC it was rather easy. I had an AA in Science GCSE double award, and an E in AS Physics (Lmao) and managed to score a 9 on the Electrical section (I think its out of 10) which I didnt even need for my trade etc so it's not that difficult if you have a GCSE understanding.

From what I remember of that part there was a few questions on electrical circuits where there would be VERY basic circuits involving lights, a battery and a few switches and you had to say what would happen to the lights if switch x y z was switched on off.

There was another bit about basic resistance, and about readings on ammeters depending on where they were in the circuit.

Also i'm fairly sure there was a question like how current is measured etc.

If you are going for a Technician spot you should have more than a basic grasp on it anyway and should destroy the test!

For the maths side you get 4 minutes to answer some very simple maths questions, revise adding basic fractions 1 / 2 + 3 /2 for example, and fast addition of decimals. To put it into perspective I finished within 2 minutes.

This website is fairly helpful for getting a general idea of what some of the questions are like http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm.Try the numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning ones from that, but bear in mind that reasoning is a hard thing to learn by revision, you have probably got the natural aptitude to do it anyway!

Thanks TsarLZ!! That is pretty much exactly what I needed to know!! :biggrin: I hope I will be able to do as well as you :eek: I really doubt I will do that well mate!! You have probably got better common sense than me haha. What trade did you apply for? :curious: Cheers Curt

Quick Reply

Latest