The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jevira
Yea, I think also that UBS will reject us... If they wouldn't, they would've called us earlier to let us know whether or not we did make it to interview stage. Kaboom.

Success: 0% :biggrin:

One of us might get lucky if lots of people reject their UBS offers... :biggrin:
I'd say at this point (especially for those with nothing, but for everyone really) it's a good time to start thinking about lessons learned.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with my results (RBS, PwC, EY) but know I could have done a lot better. Things I'm going to improve next cycle:

-Cover letter--reading these again and comparing them with a couple more successful classmates I really need to sell myself better. I've done a lot of stuff which I could have used but didn't properly leverage those experiences in CLs, and believe it or not they are pretty important (just comparing people with fairly similar qualifications and experience and different CLs).

-Networking--totally underestimated the usefulness of it. I got the impression from M&I etc that it was not a particularly big thing in the UK, which is very wrong. If you interview well a fast-track boosts your odds by miles. There were masses of opportunities on campus which I missed--needless to say I won't be missing them next cycle.

I got offers from every interview I had so fairly pleased with my interviewing, just need to work on those things.

I'll be sort of 'signing off' this thread now, feel free to get in touch if you'll be doing RBS, EY or PwC this Easter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4642
Original post by chachu201
Accepted a Tech offer, up for it too

Same Tech offer :smile: Sounds like a plan.
Reply 4643
must say seeing as a lot of banks are getting to end of their recruiting drive i learnt A LOT of valuable lessons which will help immensely for summer internships.

firstly, this industry is sooo competitive there is literally no room for errors, even if you are a good applicant, you can't be complacent. i know plenty of applicants from a top tier uni (oxford, cambridge, lse) who have nothing, so take nothing for granted.

secondly, apply to as many places as possible and don't discriminate so as to increase your chances, it may seem obvious but i seem to know a lot of people who only applied to BB's as they over estimated their applications and chances.

thirdly, if you got nothing, don't give up. there still is potentially time to get an offer, and it hasn't finished until you have been rejected from all your applications.

even though i got an offer i have seriously reviewed my CV and taken professional advice on it. make sure you show a genuine interest and are honest, i feel that is key. it is a shame not everyone on here has an offer as tsr obviously attracts the more serious applicants, but that is the nature of the industry.
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
I'd say at this point (especially for those with nothing, but for everyone really) it's a good time to start thinking about lessons learned.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with my results (RBS, PwC, EY) but know I could have done a lot better. Things I'm going to improve next cycle:

-Cover letter--reading these again and comparing them with a couple more successful classmates I really need to sell myself better. I've done a lot of stuff which I could have used but didn't properly leverage those experiences in CLs, and believe it or not they are pretty important (just comparing people with fairly similar qualifications and experience and different CLs).

-Networking--totally underestimated the usefulness of it. I got the impression from M&I etc that it was not a particularly big thing in the UK, which is very wrong. If you interview well a fast-track boosts your odds by miles. There were masses of opportunities on campus which I missed--needless to say I won't be missing them next cycle.

I got offers from every interview I had so fairly pleased with my interviewing, just need to work on those things.

I'll be sort of 'signing off' this thread now, feel free to get in touch if you'll be doing RBS, EY or PwC this Easter.

So does chatting with recruiters on campus lead to them letting you skip first round interviews or something?
Reply 4645
Original post by jina0927
I did already ! join the group on facebook :smile:

Cool! What's the name of the page?
Reply 4646
Hey,

I was just wondering what the application process is for these spring weeks, especially GS?

Thanks
Reply 4647
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
x

Good to hear you'll be on the RBS spring week. I'm assuming that you'll be on the 26-30th Mar one?

Do you know anyone else who is doing it?
I had a Citi phone interview monday and they said they'd let me know Thursday either way but I haven't heard anything from them. Anyone know what Citi are doing? The interview was for Risk and PB
Reply 4649

is there a fb group for BAML offer holders? if so where?

cheers

u can pm us with the link or post here
Reply 4651
Original post by Vlad92
Phone interview with RBS. How its like and how many stages are there? Does anyone know the date of this program? Thank you for your help!

Original post by natty_d
Did you apply for this in the end?

I had a telephone interview for it on Wednesday.

Same here. What is it like?
Reply 4652
Original post by jerem026
Cool! What's the name of the page?

http://www.facebook.com/groups/304227002974882/

Bank of America Merrill Lynch Spring Insight London 2012
anyone know if pwc still have vacancies for spring insights and what is their deadline??
Has anybody done the GS IBD Spring week last year and would be willing to share what it was like and what it included?
To you have to expect to stay till late at night or come into the office on weekends?

thanks
Reply 4655
Original post by fudgesundae
So does chatting with recruiters on campus lead to them letting you skip first round interviews or something?

No no no. Unfortunately, according to my experience, knowing the recruiters well does not help too much. You need to know someone who has actual leverage at the firm. And also-how many people do you think "chat" with recruiters? Fast tracking all those would be a huge mistake and a disadvantage for all of us.
Reply 4656
Original post by thecodman
anyone know if pwc still have vacancies for spring insights and what is their deadline??

They still have places on their insight academies in july and september. No deadline, rolling admission. The April one filled up.
Reply 4657
Original post by jevira
Yea, I think also that UBS will reject us... If they wouldn't, they would've called us earlier to let us know whether or not we did make it to interview stage. Kaboom.

Success: 0% :biggrin:

Did you apply for UBS Horizons? If so, the assessment centres for that have already passed.:frown:
Me and my friend got our rejection for the programme last week even though I know I did very well on the online tests. It's just they already filled up their ACs...
Good luck though, especially if it is not the horizons you applied for:smile:!
Original post by erklam
They still have places on their insight academies in july and september. No deadline, rolling admission. The April one filled up.

Thanks :smile: how did you know?? i went on there website and couldnt find the link for applying thought they ran out of places:s-smilie:
Original post by erklam
No no no. Unfortunately, according to my experience, knowing the recruiters well does not help too much. You need to know someone who has actual leverage at the firm. And also-how many people do you think "chat" with recruiters? Fast tracking all those would be a huge mistake and a disadvantage for all of us.

Of course "fast tracking all those would be a huge mistake". That's why that's not how it works. But the rest of what you said isn't entirely correct, at least not for a fair few firms that I know of.

Firms are different but certainly some of them will get in touch with whoever you list as a 'contact' at the firm and ask whether they know you and what they think of you, with a potential fast-track in mind. What you do to make them remember you and think well of you is up to you.

Original post by miml
Good to hear you'll be on the RBS spring week. I'm assuming that you'll be on the 26-30th Mar one?

Do you know anyone else who is doing it?

Indeed 26-30th.
Don't know anyone else who is doing it I'm afraid.
Get in touch by PM?
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending