The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Frenchous
you forgot that people who just get minimum requirements don't go to target universities

so it's pretty clear that the minimum requirement are not enough

I know people at UCL with ABB who got spring weeks this year. IMB is the degree by the way.
Original post by orca92
I know people at UCL with ABB who got spring weeks this year. IMB is the degree by the way.

I go to UCL as well and I know the guy your talking about. But frankly he is overly keen and a massive exception.

If he was studying economics say he would have had more offers.
Reply 62
I go to UCL as well and I know the guy your talking about. But frankly he is overly keen and a massive exception.

He has an account on here as well. This is where i think the whole recruitment process fails. IMB at UCL is not better than Economics at a non-target Uni.
you forgot that people who just get minimum requirements don't go to target universities

so it's pretty clear that the minimum requirement are not enough

If I was interviewing you anything more than 4As on your CV would not matter in the least.
Reply 64

Massive exception, yes; overly keen, not really in my opinion, but then you probably don't know him well; i think you've said you study economics before.

Anyway, my point is that it isn't all about grades; you can do well with the minimum grades; you can also make up for having below average grades. Yes, with spring weeks, not so much, but you did say if it was an employer employee situation where the employer has 2 employees to choose from after interview i guess, grades become very irrelevant here.
Reply 65
Original post by epc
He has an account on here as well. This is where i think the whole recruitment process fails. IMB at UCL is not better than Economics at a non-target Uni.

Not really; IMB students at UCL apply against economics at say maybe Lancaster has the same grades (don't quote me on that though) and then it's down to the banks. They choose who they like and will take grades into account, as well as the university and course; and ECs and W/E. People break in from outside the main entry routes because they are good enough to do so; those people deserve to break in if the banks see them as good enough; it's not a recruitment process failure, the banks actively decide to recruit these people.
Reply 66
Original post by orca92
Not really; IMB students at UCL apply against economics at say maybe Lancaster has the same grades (don't quote me on that though) and then it's down to the banks. They choose who they like and will take grades into account, as well as the university and course; and ECs and W/E. People break in from outside the main entry routes because they are good enough to do so; those people deserve to break in if the banks see them as good enough; it's not a recruitment process failure, the banks actively decide to recruit these people.

Yes really. It does break down if they do not even give interviews to people from certain Unis.
Reply 67
Original post by epc
Yes really. It does break down if they do not even give interviews to people from certain Unis.

If you're good enough then yes; in the spring weeks 2011 thread people posted the break down from their spring weeks; people from unis like Surrey and QMUL got spring weeks; not many, but if you're an exceptional performer from these unis then you have a shot.
Reply 68
Original post by orca92
If you're good enough then yes; in the spring weeks 2011 thread people posted the break down from their spring weeks; people from unis like Surrey and QMUL got spring weeks; not many, but if you're an exceptional performer from these unis then you have a shot.

You're proving my point. If you need to be exceptional to just get an interview then the system does fail, because a person doing Economics from QMUL or Surrey could have easily got an offer to study IBM from UCL.
Reply 69
Original post by epc
You're proving my point. If you need to be exceptional to just get an interview then the system does fail, because a person doing Economics from QMUL or Surrey could have easily got an offer to study IBM from UCL.

But not everyone from IMB at UCL has a spring week; only the one exceptional one. Everyone i know studying economics here who applied for spring weeks, got at least one offer, and that's about 10 people who i know.
Reply 70
Original post by orca92
But not everyone from IMB at UCL has a spring week; only the one exceptional one. Everyone i know studying economics here who applied for spring weeks, got at least one offer, and that's about 10 people who i know.

I am not even takling about offers, just interviews.
Reply 71
Original post by epc
I am not even takling about offers, just interviews.

Fine; the one exceptional IMB student at UCL got an interview. The economics ones all got at least one interview.

I'm guessing that you're an economics student from somewhere like Essex who got ABB (enough for IMB at UCL) and you're annoyed cause you can't get in. Well wake up; i didn't get a spring week interview last year; i'm not going to get annoyed at the banks recruitment process and say that they favour economics students at the top 5 minus Imperial (cause they don't offer econ). The reason i didn't get an interview was because my CL, CV, grades, university, degree, ECs, everything, wasn't good enough; therefore i have to work on those things. Maybe you should too instead of getting annoyed about it; go cold call some banks; i've done that and i'm now getting some experience in corp fin, audit and tax at a professional services firm in the summer; and my CV is being looked at by 2 banks currently.

In short, be proactive; you're outside of the targeted people like me; so make yourself stand out.
Reply 72
Original post by orca92
Fine; the one exceptional IMB student at UCL got an interview. The economics ones all got at least one interview.

I'm guessing that you're an economics student from somewhere like Essex who got ABB (enough for IMB at UCL) and you're annoyed cause you can't get in. Well wake up; i didn't get a spring week interview last year; i'm not going to get annoyed at the banks recruitment process and say that they favour economics students at the top 5 minus Imperial (cause they don't offer econ). The reason i didn't get an interview was because my CL, CV, grades, university, degree, ECs, everything, wasn't good enough; therefore i have to work on those things. Maybe you should too instead of getting annoyed about it; go cold call some banks; i've done that and i'm now getting some experience in corp fin, audit and tax at a professional services firm in the summer; and my CV is being looked at by 2 banks currently.

In short, be proactive; you're outside of the targeted people like me; so make yourself stand out.

I did do something about it, i am going to LSE this september (so you're wrong in your assumptions).
Reply 73
Original post by epc
I did do something about it, i am going to LSE this september (so you're wrong in your assumptions).

Then what's your problem? If the recruitment process fails as you say it does; then it fails in your favour; and to be honest, i'm not going to complain about any favours that work for me, cause i know i'm going to have to take any that come my way in this industry.

Anyway, good luck for spring weeks in 2012, and i'll leave your thread for now! :redface:
Reply 74
Original post by orca92
Then what's your problem? If the recruitment process fails as you say it does; then it fails in your favour; and to be honest, i'm not going to complain about any favours that work for me, cause i know i'm going to have to take any that come my way in this industry.

Anyway, good luck for spring weeks in 2012, and i'll leave your thread for now! :redface:

I don't have a problem per se, but i didn't get any interviews when i was at QMUL this year.

Logic fail.
Original post by Zweihander
Logic fail.

No wonder why you had to retake your a levels.
Reply 77
Only economics students can be Investment Bankers. I like bridges.
Reply 78
frenchous, will you stop battering zweihander about his past. its happened, move on, we're all trying to improve our career prospects, stop being a ****
Original post by th16
frenchous, will you stop battering zweihander about his past. its happened, move on, we're all trying to improve our career prospects, stop being a ****

I dont know why everyone keeps on saying I retook my A levels because I didnt. End of story.

Latest

Trending

Trending