The Student Room Group

Ladies LGBT Introductory thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Everyone fits under multiple labels, and not just in terms of sexuality and/or gender. I use different ones under different circumstances depending on the the situation I am in although I don't wholly prescribe to any of them. Like I prefer being refered to as gay, as I personally like that word better but occasionally i will refer to myself as a lesbian because some people only understand my sexuality under that term.

Everyone has their preference to how they identify themselves so surely LGBT just covers a wider spectrum, although even that doesn't include every identity possible but then where do you stop? The acronym would become ridiculous!
Reply 21
Original post by chloemo14
Hello! - Any lesbians have any opinions on whether UCL or Bristol would have a better LGBT environment?

UCL, because I'm possibly going there next year :awesome: I would imagine either would be fine, to be honest - they're both in pretty large cities.

Original post by B-Man.
Just one problem: Ladies only BUT you seem to have forgotten the 'T' in LGBT. What about the Transexuals?

Transwomen are women and so are covered by 'ladies'. Transmen, or anyone else who doesn't identify as female, isn't female and thus isn't a lesbian. That said it's insanely hypocritical of me to be here - I'm female-bodied (well, it's not a 'female' body, it's MY body and thus it can be whatever gender I want to call it, but we digress) and I tend to date females, but I'm genderqueer and tend to being male. I call myself a lesbian because that's how it looks on the outside, but I don't know if I can date lesbians for the simple reason that they wouldn't be dating me as a male, they'd be dating me as a female, and that would be emotionally dishonest.

Original post by Serenb
Everyone has their preference to how they identify themselves so surely LGBT just covers a wider spectrum, although even that doesn't include every identity possible but then where do you stop? The acronym would become ridiculous!

I use 'LGBT+' for this reason. L is for lesbian, G for gay, B for bisexual and T for transgender - and then the + covers intersex, genderqueer, asexual, agender, transvestites etc. :smile:
Wow. Anyway. Now that's cleared up....Hello. I'm Eve, Mid 20s (yes I've reached that ripe old age) Bisexual bohemian femme. Finished my Physiology degree and doing another course on top of that because I've had a career rethink. Living in North London. Always keen to meet new people. Particularly fond of curvaceous femme women but also like feminine/boho men who are dreamers like myself :wink:. Just not too much a fan of masculinity in the stereotypical sense of the word in general methinks.
I like Old Techno, Old House music and funk and soul. Passionately. I make my own music in my spare time and I like wine and cheese. You'd probably see me hanging out in an old mans pub, a gallery or a small bar with a dancefloor :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Well I'm not so convinced I fit into either of those categories. I don't feel I need to. I'm just me.

Nah. When I first came out I used gay mainly because I didn't like the sound of the work 'lesbian' and because 'gay' has less stereotypes connected to it in relation to women. And a tiny bit because I wasn't sure I was female. Now I can't use it in connection to me because I had a friend who could never understand my reasoning on this issue and used to call me a lesbian and I like to forget about they way he treated me.
Reply 24
I actually agree fully, and this is something I need to think about more myself. I don't know, though, if people who do fit within the gender binary can still identify as heterosexual/homosexual - if you're a cisgender, XX 'female' and you're only attracted to cisgender, XX 'females', for example, are you not then a lesbian?

(Also, I happened to be doing a bit of casual profile stalking. You're in Hull?! I live about 15 minutes away! What a peculiar coincidence :eek:)
Original post by chloemo14
Hello! - Any lesbians have any opinions on whether UCL or Bristol would have a better LGBT environment?

I'm from Bristol orginally. I don't know about the uni but I know the city has a fairly good gay scene.
Reply 26
Is this that pervy guy who pretends to be a lesbian teenage girl again?
Laura, 20, Sheffield University studying History and English Literature for anyone whos interested.
You can but I don't think I have an answer. I'm not butch. I'm small, I love dresses, shoes and shopping, I care about how I look. I don't act 'male' (If that's possible - which I don't believe). It's more the way when someone says 'girls' I assume they're not talking to me and I cringe when I realise they are. How I'm happy to be classed as part of 'the boys' in my physics class yet I know I'm not male either.
Reply 29
Wow, so, ignoring all the conflict in this thread...
:hello: I'm Aimee and I'm 19 :smile:
Reply 30
Awesome thread. Nice to meet you all. Gemma, 18, Exeter now and Leicester in October.
Reply 31
I'm sadly not a student there, rather someone who lives in a town outside of it (wary of posting identifying information, but to be honest there are not very many towns in this area so it's probably quite obvious where I live :tongue:) and does maths and not sociology/queer theory/etc. (Out of interest, what do you study? My dad works in their part-time department and teaches on some part-time English/philosophy courses, so weirdly enough, you may well have run into him around the campus :tongue:)

I haven't read anywhere near as much as I should have read - I really need to fix that to be honest :frown: My genderqueer education comes mainly from personal experience and following people on tumblr.
Yeah. Physically I'm definitely female.
I can understand how it is possible to be pansexual. But no. I am most definitely gay. I am only attracted to female-bodied people. Even though a lot of these people have a similar non-binary gender identity to mine.
I don't quite understand what you mean. I can identify whatever way I want and no-one else can tell me that what I feel is wrong. I can wear a dress and feel male or wear a suit and feel female if that's how I feel. It is possible to escape society's expectations on how we feel about ourselves but it is very hard to persuade anyone else that the way we feel is right.
Why should I? For the first time ever I feel happy with who I am. I don't need some book to tell me all about it.
Hey all, I'm 26, married but bi.
Reply 37
Hi :smile: I'm pretty new here, I'm 17 and also near Hull. Perhaps there's something in the water... :wink:
Reply 38
Original post by ZZ9
Hi :smile: I'm pretty new here, I'm 17 and also near Hull. Perhaps there's something in the water... :wink:

I think I know you! Do you play tuba?
Reply 39
So men/transgender people can't post in this thread? ATS DISKRIMINATION!

Quick Reply